86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bunch of ???'s new to me 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bunch of ???'s new to me 22RE

Hello all!

I have a whole bunch of related and unrelated questions about the 22RE

I have an 88 pickup I swapped a 3.4 into and built a camper on almost a decade ago now, in which I've been living/traveling in since. I love that thing and its taken me all throughout the americas, so I know it well. But I recently was left a 92 pickup from an elderly friend that was moving on to another realm. It has a completely stock, low mileage 22RE, and while I know and love the 3.4 and my 88 camper, it has over 360k miles and the rust eaten through everything but the motor, so I'm seeing this fresh new 92 pickup being the fresh new start to the next chapter of my life. BUT, I've never had one of these before so I'm trying to get to know it, and what it likes etc. So... here's the beginning of a bunch of random (and some stupid I'm sure) questions that I have about my new friend

Fluids:
-I never put anything in my 3.4's coolant system except for Toyota red, or Pink (pre diluted), even throughout south America. But this has some green stuff in it right now. Should I flush it and only use Toyota red in it from here on out? or does the 22re prefer something else?
-I'm going to oil change it to amsoil 100% synthetic, but what about tranny and t/c, diffs, etc. ? I always used the redline mt90 gl-4 in the tranny and transfer case, cause everybody says those syncros don't want the gl-5. But what about in this one? what's the consensus about what is best, regardless of price?

Code reader: I always ran a scangauge 2 plugged into my computer, which is nice to have four real time read-outs of your choice while driving, like mpg etc. Is there really no option for anything like that for the 22re? I know you can read codes with the "paper clip method" under the hood, but I'm looking for something that I can have real time read outs on things like water temp, with exact degrees and not just the slow moving needle that's somewhere between cold and over-heating.

Aaaand, what else? Any tips? What should I be looking out for on this motor? what are its weakest links? What are some common issues? what are some popular upgrades? like suspension etc, not just limited to the motor, for example; I plan on getting 16" rims to have better tire options, I've always loved 235/85's on 16's as they give more clearance and fit without a lift and are narrow enough to be efficient and with a ten ply side wall air way down really well for sand etc.

I look forward to hearing y'all's thoughts,
Thanks a bunch!

Old 09-18-2024, 11:38 AM
osv

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by PatchworkPatty
-I never put anything in my 3.4's coolant system except for Toyota red, or Pink (pre diluted), even throughout south America. But this has some green stuff in it right now. Should I flush it and only use Toyota red in it from here on out? or does the 22re prefer something else?
-I'm going to oil change it to amsoil 100% synthetic, but what about tranny and t/c, diffs, etc. ? I always used the redline mt90 gl-4 in the tranny and transfer case, cause everybody says those syncros don't want the gl-5. But what about in this one? what's the consensus about what is best, regardless of price?
the new coolants and synthetic gear lubes are fully compatible with toyota, i wouldn't worry about it... i run the cheapest gear oil in transfer cases and axle housings, but put the best into the transmission.

the world has moved on since amsoil was big, there are many choices now... i run this so-called "euro" formula mobil 1 because the VOA reports show a lot of zddp and such that is good for our engines:
Amazon Amazon

looking at the big picture, you'll be hugely disappointed with the gutless 22re after running that 3.4, i wouldn't do it... is there some problem with the 3.4? does it use a lot of oil?
Old 09-18-2024, 02:21 PM

Thanks a bunch for the reply,

So what coolant do you use then?

As for why I have this new to me truck, I inherited it when a friend passed away, and he bought it brand new in 1991, and nobody else has ever driven it, so it’s pretty cool to have his old truck that has less then 130k miles. But I will have both vehicles for a while at least. My 88 that i swapped the 3.4 into has over 360k miles on it, and since it had been rolled before it was mine, the cab was pretty dented up, so when I took the bed off it and built a camper on the back, I cut the back and top of the cab out and it’s all welded as one unit as a pass-through camper. and after living full time for almost the last decade in it, every part of the trucks body and the camper etc. are losing the battle to rust, so it’s days are kinda numbered. Not sure what i’ll do with the motor and stuff, probably hang onto it for now at least.

I was expecting the little 22re to feel pretty underpowered after having the 3.4 for so long, and maybe that helped prepare me, but I was actually surprised how peppy this little this is.
Old 09-18-2024, 03:02 PM

Received 244 Likes on 182 Posts
I just use standard green coolant. And you said “peppy” about a 22re…..you’ll soon learn all about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my truck and the 22re but it is far from peppy…..but it’s a solid motor that was from 91 when people didn’t need to go 75 up the mountains

Last edited by Discombobulated; 09-18-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 06:35 PM
osv

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
yeah that sounds like a sweet low-mileage truck, now put a camper on it and see how it works out with the little 22re :-0 but maybe your travel days are over? just putt it around town, it certainly sounds like a keeper.

one problem with the 22re years is that parts are getting hard to find; on my '86 4runner for instance i can't buy the ignitor new, it's no longer available, the resistor pack for the injectors is nla, etc... that sort of thing is starting to happen with the later years as well.

the 3.4 came out in '96? should be 10 years or more ahead of the 22re game, and since it's already in the '88 it should be a fairly easy swap to the '92.

aisin coolant is hybrid OAT: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...pt=11393&jsn=3

fwiw, prestone says that the worst thing to do is mix is OAT and IAT: https://www.prestoneuk.com/blog/dos-...ixing-coolant/

Old 09-18-2024, 10:19 PM

And any info on a computer reader for the 22re?