Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 Tacoma 4 Cyl 3RZ Power Steering Tensioner Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Tacoma 4 Cyl 3RZ Power Steering Tensioner Pulley

My vehicle: 1996 Toyota Tacoma Pickup Regular Cab 4x4 Manual Transmission, Motor 4 cyl 2.7 Litre 3RZ-FE w/Power Steering (PS)

Replacing PS belt and also removed the PS tensioner pulley to check it, or PS idler pulley, whatever you want to call it, as it was easy to get to and unbolt. Pulley bearing seems fine, not running rough, but since I had it apart I thought I would replace the pulley with a new one with a new bearing. It appears that the bearing itself can not be removed from the pulley, you just replace the pulley with a new bearing in it. OK, I go to the parts list and what I see is what is called the pulley, idler which is PN 44350-34010. OK go to the dealers web site and see that this part is an "assembly" which includes the mounting bracket (not just the pulley its the entire assembly) and the price is hundreds of dollars depending upon where you look. I do not need or want the entire assembly including the mounting bracket, there is nothing wrong with the bracket that is installed, I left it on the vehicle, I just want to install a new pulley with a new bearing installed. I can not find any listing for the pulley alone (with a new bearing) at least not for my above listed vehicle. See the pictures showing the pulley and the holding bolt (not the mounting bracket which remains on the vehicle), I just want the pulley with a new bearing (the last picture), do not need the mounting bolt, and I really do not want to have to buy the entire "assembly" including the mounting bracket (mounting bracket not shown in pictures) costing hundreds of dollars. Surely just the pulley itself with a new bearing is available? From Toyota? I prefer OEM parts but would of course consider good aftermarket. Anyone out there ran into this? Is there a Toyota PN for just the PS idler/tensioner pulley with bearing? Something from another Toyota work? Anyone use aftermarket? If so what and where? I am tempted to just reinstall the existing pulley as it seems fine but would rather put a new one on with a new bearing. Anyone?​​​​​​​