Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power Steering Pump advice 1988 4Runner from a newb

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Pump advice 1988 4Runner from a newb

I have a 1988 V6 3.0L Automatic 4-Speed in desparate need of a power steering pump replacement. 1) I have searched this forum and didn't find any guides (probably user error so replies w. a link welcome) 2) advice on where to pickup a replacement pump. 3) i see some online w. the pulley already attached should I buy that? 4) any other advice appreciated for this newbie.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:49 AM
YT Community Team

Received 880 Likes on 626 Posts
Having recently overhauled my entire power steering system, and even replacing the pump needlessly, what issues are you having? Yours is beyond repair?
But to answer your question, after doing some research I ordered a Lares power steering pump.

Last edited by Jimkola; 06-26-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. The pump makes a TON of noise, the steering wheel feels as if there is no power assistance. Did you do the work yourself? How challenging? Any youtubes?
Old 06-26-2024, 10:36 AM
YT Community Team

The pump itself isn’t bad to do. If you take pictures when taking apart to reference when reassembling it’s fairly easy. The things to pay particular attention to is the rotor and vanes ( the vanes go into rotors with a specific orientation) and the flow control valve.
There's one bearing. With that and a seal kit you should be fine. There are YouTube videos on the 22r pump. Your V6 is constructed a bit differently, but all the key elements are there. A FSM is always advisable.
You can borrow a power steering pressure tester from the chain parts store's loaner program. The pressure tester helps isolate on whether you have a pump issue or a power steering gear problem. having the fsm here is good, as the manual goes over that exact test and gives the specs for the test. I did this test a few times on mine. It's a bit messy, and you'll need to have a few qts of dextron atf on hand.

what fluid have you been using? Have you been able to inspect the wire screen in the reservoir to make sure it's not clogged?

Last edited by Jimkola; 06-26-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:54 AM

Seal kit, bearing and tubes...i am over my ski's. Should all those be replaced as well? What is a FSM? dare I say NEWB again...
Old 06-26-2024, 11:06 AM
YT Community Team

FSM=factory service manual.

The Toyota p/s pump is remarkably durable. They don't often fail on their own.
If the wrong fluid was run through the p/s system it's possible a sludge built up. that's why i ask what fluid has been used.
Watch videos on youtube and that'll give you an idea on whats involved.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:14 PM

ah, thanks. I watched a youtube. Doesn't seem too difficult. I don't know the fluid that was used. not sure i can get oem part
Old 06-26-2024, 03:00 PM
YT Community Team

I show oem gasket/seal kit is still available through Toyota. Not sure about aftermarket. 1988 was a pretty narrow build.
odd,, the schematic doesn’t show a bearing. I’d have to assume it doesn’t use one.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:22 AM

Received 807 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimkola
I show oem gasket/seal kit is still available through Toyota. Not sure about aftermarket. 1988 was a pretty narrow build.
odd,, the schematic doesn’t show a bearing. I’d have to assume it doesn’t use one.
the parts diagram from my '88 FSM for the 3.0 shows no bearing or bushing for the pump. however, in the inspection dialog, the statement "1. check oil clearance of shaft and bushing" appears. not sure what or where the bushing is, as it is not called out or shown in any of the pics in the FSM for the power steering pump section. it may be just behind the "outer" oil seal on the front housing, but i don't know. edit: maybe the oil seal also contains the bushing?

Last edited by wallytoo; 06-27-2024 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:52 AM
YT Community Team

My p/s system had the exact same feel, noisy pump and zero power steering assistance when turning wheel.
Flushing the system got a lot of not-great-looking fluid out, but didn't fix anything.
The power steering pressure tester indicated a power steering pump issue, so I pulled it out and disassembled. I didn't see anything worn or damaged, but the flow control valve wasn't sliding very well. So i cleaned everything, installed a new bearing (mine has one) and took a brass bottle brush used on shotguns to clean up the passage the flow control valve travels in. Also removed the reservoir (mine is mounted on the apron) and thoroughly cleaned the screen. That screen is fairly fine, but remarkably heavy duty.
Reinstalled. and ran pressure test again. Worked great for a minute, then went to hell again. I removed the pump and found flow control sticking again. After repeating the internal cleaning, reassembly, and testing, only to have the same results is when i ordered a new pump from Lares.
And it did the same thing.
So that's when the power steering gear came out. Which isn't all the hard to remove, either.
When i disassembled the p/s gear I found a bunch of gray sludge built up inside the unit. There was no visible wear on the gears, at least nothing that would explain the quantity of sludge, so my guess was just the reaction of different and wrong fluids mixing and gelling over time. This sludge was then sucked into the pump and was enough to bind the control valve.
I thoroughly cleaned the steering gear and resealed. I got a few tools to make it easier for me; a pin wrench, and a tool to hold the adjusting nut when setting preload. i also made a tool for measuring preload that was suggested to me by my friend who worked in Toyota headquarters' Tech dept. None of the tools i bought were essential, but they did make it easier, and the cost was fairly nominal.
I reassembled everything. added fluid, and when i started the engine up the system purged all the air out in seconds and I've been good ever since.

I left the Lares pump in, but did take my original oem pump apart(i got very good at this), cleaned, and added some atf to keep away oxidation, then sealed up. i have it boxed and ready to go if ever needed.

Last edited by Jimkola; 06-27-2024 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
osv (06-27-2024)