Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help me restore a salvaged 1993 Toyota 22-RE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me restore a salvaged 1993 Toyota 22-RE!

Title is self explanatory. I plan on uploading photos of the vehicle tomorrow morning. A little background before that. The truck is salvaged only one owner 120 thousandish miles. It needed a new battery to get it working then I sorta overheated it when the chain broke. The water pump and chain have been replaced the cylinders got resurfaced. I over heated it a second time when a belt broke to the radiator. I’m new to working on cars sorry 😅

anyhow what ended up happening is it was so dark out my godfather came out to help i was like hysterical I guess I really didn’t know what I was looking at or make heads or tails and this is a truck I’ve replaced parts on before. I filled the radiator wrong when the belt was broken so I’m going to have to get to that. I didn’t dilute the solution like I should have it’s cool that’s not the issue tho.

it was dark so instead of thinking or seeing the belt was broken my godfather poured that cylinder sealing stuff for cracks and junk so it ran fine after the belt no biggie.

it failed smog after that tho because of the EGR

my idiot ass got an engine cleaning from a lube place when I got my oil changed and ya my engine did not like that.

so anyhow that’s where I’m at for engine history.

as of late it’s parked in my driveway I replaced the EGR and modulator.
yet to torque it.
The vacuum filter had soot on the end I replaced it. Noticed the one yotashop sold me has a smaller chamber than the oem one. No biggie I think I ordered the wrong one tho that’s on me.
I replaced the rear vacuum lines
canister to rail
reed valve to rail
fuel line to rail

Then I ran out of oem hose length.

engine fires up. First issue it sounded like a lawn mower and had only 3 cylinders firing up. Once I started working on it today it was running rich super loud couldn’t hear if the cylinders were all firing but cylinders had pressure 130 psi ish from what my godfather told me.

tomorrow I plan on changing out the spark plugs and replacing the aftermarket wiring with oem.
then it’s some maintenance and checking around the coolant and airflow stuffs for leaks.
The exhaust manifold on it is going to have to get changed I know that. It’s an aftermarket one also I believe.
I’ll also have to check my throttle body and the fitting to my cold start it’s been pressure tested more than once so it might need a little double checking.

I don’t want to make an overly explanatory post wo photos and some good reliable data. Anyone who wants to help or learn with me please join this thread. I plan on keeping my re22 stock. Its use to me is to cruise on the dunes/dirt roads and to haul materials. I’d love it to run reliably. I’m willing to go through each step to do just that.

Last edited by Nickx; 06-18-2024 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:56 PM

Update #1

Busy all morning. Switched the plugs to denso iridums and wiring to what I presume is oem after market they look identical to oem but no Japanese writing. Came in a denso box from eBay. ☠️

here’s some photos of the parts I removed.
side note. A 12mm socket and a stubby ratchet go a long way. 21mm for spark plugs.
spark plugs get torqued to 13ftlbs EGR 13ftlbs. I torqued mine to 12ftlbs.

here’s a video of its first start after changing spark plugs and wires.

Last edited by Nickx; 06-19-2024 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:18 PM

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts
It's too late now but, iridium plugs are not the correct sparkplugs for this engine. Just normal ngk or denso copper plugs are what the engine calls for. Nothing to be gained from the extra cost of the iridiums
The following 3 users liked this post by Robert m:
Jimkola (06-24-2024), Nickx (06-20-2024), old87yota (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
It's too late now but, iridium plugs are not the correct sparkplugs for this engine. Just normal ngk or denso copper plugs are what the engine calls for. Nothing to be gained from the extra cost of the iridiums
i thought iridiums would last a bit longer. Good to know it actually doesn’t matter. Thanks Robert.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:30 PM

Ok. I got a bit of time I’ve onced over the factory guide. I printed it out which was a pain to organize. This might be a helpful note to others it looks like the factory service guides are available up to ‘08 for toy pickups through archival services for now…

Im not sure if I’m allowed to post pictures of the service guide MA-1 is maintenance I’m starting from there. Fourth cylinder isn’t firing still. I want to get to it and replace the injector and check some voltage stuff. I’m going to unplug the battery first and let it sit for an hour or two.

here’s a video I found helpful that I’m still watching. I noticed he doesn’t name all the parts like the reed or resonator but I found it super helpful. It’s 1 and 1/2 hours.
Does anyone have any links to some more vacuum line or injector specific stuffssss to cross reference? That’s the main problem I’m having on my end now. I have a lot of old yota forum post to go off of that I might quote up that looked helpful. Im super new tho. What direction should I go on this after maintenance?
Old 06-20-2024, 01:24 PM

Update and some more photos.
Got the plastic breather tube thingy off. Don’t know the name of it. Here’s some photos as I maintenance.

Old 06-20-2024, 06:58 PM

I wanted to take a 2nd look at that EGR the bolts weren’t lining up and when I went to check it the short bolt was quite literally off.

Last edited by Nickx; 07-02-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 07:35 PM

I’ve been a bit busy excuse my absence. Happy pre 4th 🥳 anyhow gl everyone following this. I’m moving this project to a weekend deal. 🐌 pace. More to come on this weekend
Old 07-05-2024, 06:00 PM

Hi Nick, I subscribed to this thread to watch your progress as I am attempting to do some major maintenance on my new-to-me '94. Question for you and others: I see that you are working outside and not indoors (in garage). What do you do to protect from rain when you are not working and have the engine all opened up? Do you put a tarp over the truck etc? Asking because I'm planning to change out the timing chain and I know that I won't be able to complete in 1 day so just wanted to know what to do when I got the engine all opened up and out in the elements. Thanks!