86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Smog Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog Pump

1990 Toyota Pickup 22R 4-Speed MTM

Hello, I know there have been posts about this before but I'm a serious lay-man in terms of vehicles - especially this old. Not sure what many of the abbreviations used are in many of the posts I've come across.

Just bought my truck and was looking around the engine bay and noticed there was a belt missing. After some research I realized the belt missing was attached to the smog pump. I assume in the case of this truck is it started screaming at them and it eventually either broke off or was taken off - the pulley on it is VERY loose and feels like the bearings are completely shot.

Now, I realize many people bypass these things and I realize the downsides are increased emissions, etc. The problem with this thing is that it wasn't bypassed, the hoses are still attached and they find their way up into the (vacuum, I believe? - the thing that looks like a toilet reservoir component) then into the carburator.

My big question is: what are the negatives of having this thing still linked up and not actually bypassed?

Additional questions are: should I fix the pump up, bypass it, or leave it be? How much work is needed to bypass the pump? If not much - could someone point me in the direction of a good how-to?

I know the truck passed emissions in November and it looks like this thing hasn't had a belt on it in at least a few years but that's just a guess.
​​​​​​
​​​​​Sorry for the long-winded story - rather give more information than less.

Thank you for any advice on advance! - Z
​​​

Last edited by topmarq; 04-16-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Missing truck model
Old 04-16-2022, 11:54 AM

Received 644 Likes on 520 Posts
I took the air pump and hoses off my pickup shortly after I bought it, but exactly what needed to be blocked off I don't recall. I do remember I had to put in some hex screws someplace around the exhaust manifold. Why I remember that and nothing else, I have NO clue

I think you just pull the hoses, and plug whatever they fed, but I may be wrong. Sorry I'm not more help...
Pat☺
Old 04-17-2022, 09:21 AM

Thank you 2ToyGuy. Definitely helpful to know it's that easy. I could probably figure out how to do that no problem. Curious if the system has been bogged down by trying to push air through that broken unit...

If anyone has any more information in those regards that'd be super helpful! - Z
Old 04-20-2022, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Efi delete. Pretty much the same thing.

it's more work than folks make it out to be. Some tuning will be needed after getting rid of that stuff. But it just dumps carbon and sludge into your motor and if its plugged or broke it won't be saving the environment at all.

Replacement or delete. Depends where ya live and personal preference I suppose.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:42 PM

Me Too!

I also have a 1990 pick up 4 speed with the 22r. I too have been looking into the smog pump/ EGR delete rout. I just got my block off plates in the mail from Yota 1. I had to order some specific plates because mine has a less common "top mount secondary air injection" system on the exhaust manifold. More commonly seen on early 4runners

My air/smog pump was hooked up and had the belt on it when I bought the truck. The bearing is starting to sound really rough and I just decided to take off the belt for now. Especially concidering I have no ac compressor to worry about. All the belt was doing was turning the smog pump and making it scream like a back of parrots. I just changed my clutch and have been driving around without issue for a few days now with the compressor dormant. I have yet to rip that thing out with the rest of its little friends. I am a bit sauced after wrestling that bell housing without a tranny jack lol. I'll have to take her easy for a day or two before I get my hands dirty again taking all the emissions crap out of the rig.

All of that being said, I will try my best to come back to this thread and give my updates as I go through the process. I'll let you know if Im happy with the results. I'm sure it might be cool info knowing we have the same year, same number of gears and same engine. Cheers mates. This is the first thing I have ever posted in the forums but I have been studying them for quite some time.

Last edited by Glonky; 05-19-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:02 PM

Project ozone destruction: complete

I am back with tales of triumph and tribulation. This may be 2 years late and you may never look at the current responses on this thread. I am too hyped to care.
I thought I would add here that I got rid of all the emissions gremlins in my truck today. 4 speed 22r 1990 pickup.
It was actually extremely plain once I got down to it.

I took out the smog pump. Any big vacuum hoses attached were taken off and their ports capped. I believe the three ports I capped belong to the reed valve. Some people remove that as well. I couldn't get it off so I just capped the three holes where hoses came from lol. One came straight out into the smog pump. The other came from the side, went up and plugged into the air cleaner. One last port in the back connected to a rubber hose that lead to the secondary air injection line that goes around back of the engine. I took off the air cleaner and exposed the carb. That made it so I could reach the EGR bolts and unfastened them. She came off pretty easy. Take pictures of all the vacuum lines you remove for reference down the road. Since I kept the stock Aisin carb, the only vacuum lines needing to be blocked went straight into the EGR head and were simple to cap off. EGR block off plates be lookin nice in there. Depending on what style secondary air injection(SAI) you have, the SAI delete goes hand in hand with the smog delete.

Mine might have been a bit easier than other 22R's. Maybe not lol.
Some older Toyota pick ups have a top mount SAI and others have the side mount system. The side mount air injection is what you see on most stock 22R/22RE's. I believe mine had a different style than either of these
I ordered a set of side and top mount block off plates because mine did not match any other diagrams or postings I could find. Many people will have to take off the exhaust manifold and gasket to add 2 plates to block air injection. Mine only had one spot where the air injection line came around and bolted in. It was in the same spot where some old Toyota exhaust manifolds have an O2 sensor. I got lucky and was able to utilize a block off plate from a 22RE kit on that one spot. Problem solved. Then I promptly ripped that long ass tube out and capped off where it met into the reed valve that is fastened under the carb.

That was all she wrote. I buttoned the thing back together and it runs great. I believe I can even tell a slight difference in throttle response. Most likely placebo

Best part...

That pump is quiet as a mouse. Probably cause it's gone teehee.

Long story short, the best way to delete your smog pump and emissions gear is to pull your sleeves up and start ripping out anything that connects to the EGR or smog pump. Viola

Old 06-29-2024, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Glonky
I am back with tales of triumph and tribulation. This may be 2 years late and you may never look at the current responses on this thread. I am too hyped to care.
I thought I would add here that I got rid of all the emissions gremlins in my truck today. 4 speed 22r 1990 pickup.
It was actually extremely plain once I got down to it.

I took out the smog pump. Any big vacuum hoses attached were taken off and their ports capped. I believe the three ports I capped belong to the reed valve. Some people remove that as well. I couldn't get it off so I just capped the three holes where hoses came from lol. One came straight out into the smog pump. The other came from the side, went up and plugged into the air cleaner. One last port in the back connected to a rubber hose that lead to the secondary air injection line that goes around back of the engine. I took off the air cleaner and exposed the carb. That made it so I could reach the EGR bolts and unfastened them. She came off pretty easy. Take pictures of all the vacuum lines you remove for reference down the road. Since I kept the stock Aisin carb, the only vacuum lines needing to be blocked went straight into the EGR head and were simple to cap off. EGR block off plates be lookin nice in there. Depending on what style secondary air injection(SAI) you have, the SAI delete goes hand in hand with the smog delete.

Mine might have been a bit easier than other 22R's. Maybe not lol.
Some older Toyota pick ups have a top mount SAI and others have the side mount system. The side mount air injection is what you see on most stock 22R/22RE's. I believe mine had a different style than either of these
I ordered a set of side and top mount block off plates because mine did not match any other diagrams or postings I could find. Many people will have to take off the exhaust manifold and gasket to add 2 plates to block air injection. Mine only had one spot where the air injection line came around and bolted in. It was in the same spot where some old Toyota exhaust manifolds have an O2 sensor. I got lucky and was able to utilize a block off plate from a 22RE kit on that one spot. Problem solved. Then I promptly ripped that long ass tube out and capped off where it met into the reed valve that is fastened under the carb.

That was all she wrote. I buttoned the thing back together and it runs great. I believe I can even tell a slight difference in throttle response. Most likely placebo

Best part...

That pump is quiet as a mouse. Probably cause it's gone teehee.

Long story short, the best way to delete your smog pump and emissions gear is to pull your sleeves up and start ripping out anything that connects to the EGR or smog pump. Viola
Hey there, definitely appreciate your reply because I've spent the last two years doing much more pressing things to the Yota than deleting things. Did full replacement of all suspension items and just did the clutch and all that goes into that (bell housing was hard WITH a tranny jack - props to you haha)

Anyway, now the thing is better than ever - at least in my eyes - and starting to look into the little jobs to do again. Going to tackle this smog pump deletion and really appreciate your reply. It sounds like we may have the exact same motor and layout...which kits did you end up getting from Yota 1? And did you end up using some of both the kits?

Thank you - Zak
Old 06-29-2024, 11:29 AM

Noice!

I’m glad to hear my response provided some inspiration!

I wasted some money ordering multiple block off kits. At the same time, lessons were learned lol.

I ordered EGR plates for one of each. 22R/RE. None of those long plates for the standard SAI were utilized with my manifold style.
One of the 22RE EGR block off plates was able to mostly cover my SAI port on the manifold side. I used it temporarily but there was an exhaust leak for sure. An 85-95 Toyota pickup o2 sensor block off plate covers it perfectly. If yours has a gasket, I would reuse rather than buy a new one although that’s your call.

Another important tip. There is a bolt fastened to a bracket on the back of the motor where the SAI pipe goes around. The bolt needs to come out to remove the pipe. Although, once removed I would put it right back in finger tight and fasten it with a ratchet. If you can fit one back there lol. Coolant will spew out of that hole if you don’t seal it with the bolt.

you can order a block off plate for that specific spot if you like. Usually it’s more of a practical application with the motor outside of the vehicle though.

In summary, you could probably get away with ordering the plates from Yota 1 separately and keep the cost under a kit or two. If your engine layout is exactly like mine, a standard 22R SAI block off kit won’t do. I’d just go with a single o2 sensor block plate for the manifold side. Order the 22R EGR block off plates. There are 2 that are necessary for the EGR. It would be smart to get those together in a kit. Aside from those, get you a pack or two of rubber caps. O˟˟˟˟ties or ˟˟˟˟tyzone are bound to have something along those lines. Hell even like an ace hardware.

make sure you have little ones to plug all the small vacuum lines that come from carb to EGR. Get some big plugs for the valves that lead to your smog pump or SAI. LCEngineerings video on it helped me a ton.

It may sound dumb but make sure you reassemble the air cleaner before test starting. I forgot and had a mini heart attack that I ruined everything lmao.

After doing a clutch. EGR/SAI delete is a pleasant little reminder how chill working on your truck should be haha. Cheers and good luck matey!
Old 06-29-2024, 12:00 PM

Linkage

Here’s a link or two of things I would buy instead of all the BS that I ended up with.

22R EGR plates: https://209yota1.com/products/egr-de...arburated-22r/

22r o2 plate (for SAI into manifold): https://209yota1.com/products/o2-oxy...-plate-2-bolt/

Cooler block off plate for back of engine head where the SAI pipe is routed (not necessary looks cool): https://209yota1.com/products/egr-co...-20r-22r-22re/

*I just bought an assortment pack of different sized rubber caps for the reed valve and air cleaner. If you’re handy enough you might be able to get that reed valve off and worry about less things to cap. I also bought a small pack of rubber caps to cap off small vacuum lines. YEET. LC’s vid says you only need to cap off one vacuum line that goes to the EGR. mine was left with a few open lines. I capped them all and have been driving without issue for some time.

I just moved a state away and used the truck to haul stuff on about 6 hour drives there and back. Probably put nearly a thousand miles on it in the last month. She still tickin’!

Last edited by Glonky; 06-29-2024 at 12:02 PM.