Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 Pickup 22RE - still won't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
91 Pickup 22RE - still won't start sometimes

Hey all -

So a few weeks ago I posted about my truck not starting every time. It won't turn over at all - all the lights and accessories work (radio, etc.) but when I turn the key there is nothing, no clicking or anything. However, if I let the car sit a minute or push it a bit forward or backwards, it will start.

I replaced the alternator a few weeks ago which seemed to have solved the problem for a while - also replaced the battery since it was at 9 volts - but tonight it wouldn't start again. I tightened the battery posts and checked for loose wires but couldn't find anything. When I was under the car changing out the alternator I noticed that the starter was also new (shiny at least, but definitely seems new). I don't know what else to look for - any ideas? Compression is good - all cylinders at 170 psi.

91 Pickup, Base, 5 speed, 194k miles.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Just keep flipping the switch. It'll fire up.
Swear a bit.
Tell the truck you love it. Helps.

Or, do this: http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsl...elay_Tech.html

Or use the search feature. There is a really nice writeup on here old Yotatech!
Old 11-01-2019, 06:27 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Yes many, many threads about no start issues on here if you search.

What did folks tell you to try in your last thread? What have you tried other than throwing an alternator in? Not much to go on to help you here. Have you figured out if you have a starter relay or not?
Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ev13wt
Just keep flipping the switch. It'll fire up.
Swear a bit.
Tell the truck you love it. Helps.

Or, do this: http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsl...elay_Tech.html

Or use the search feature. There is a really nice writeup on here old Yotatech!
Ok that fix is interesting - I'll look into that. The previous owner did install an aftermarket alarm on the car - could that potentially having something to do with it?
Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 5 Fists
Yes many, many threads about no start issues on here if you search.

What did folks tell you to try in your last thread? What have you tried other than throwing an alternator in? Not much to go on to help you here. Have you figured out if you have a starter relay or not?
People on the other thread were just telling me to look for loose wires and I found none - also checked all my grounds and they were good. How would I go about determining if I have a starter relay?
Old 11-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW the start signal wire connector at the starter on mine doesn't always make a good connection. I just reach in the fender and pull it off the starter and put it on again and boom cranks right up.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by DonutLimo
FWIW the start signal wire connector at the starter on mine doesn't always make a good connection. I just reach in the fender and pull it off the starter and put it on again and boom cranks right up.
This is a good example of confirmation bias, seeing what you want to see. The solenoid energizing wire is fixed to the engine and the starter, it shouldn't make any difference, the end it attaches to the starter and the tie down location move relative (at the same time) with engine vibration..

You need clean metal on both sides and a firm connection. Take it apart, scrub the male plug with emery board, tighten the female side with thin pliers or even a screwdriver, ensure the harness clamps are in tact etc...

The know fault with this system design is to much current flowing through the switch behind the lock cylinder. At any given point it can fluctuate between working and not working. The solution is well documented and I'm pretty sure it's even a sticky thread.

Fwiw, I'm pretty electrical savy and been bit by bad grounds..
Old 11-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
This is a good example of confirmation bias, seeing what you want to see. The solenoid energizing wire is fixed to the engine and the starter, it shouldn't make any difference, the end it attaches to the starter and the tie down location move relative (at the same time) with engine vibration..
I have a single-wire blade-style connector that plugs into the starter for energizing the solenoid. Its next to the heavy gauge hot battery wire terminal on the starter. I haven't owned the truck forever but it appears factory to me. Its in a bad spot that is prone to tire spray so I can see all kinds of crud getting thrown at it. That is the ONLY weak link in my start system. Just sharing what has worked for me 100% of the time when I turn the key and it won't crank. No bias, straight confirmation.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DonutLimo
I have a single-wire blade-style connector that plugs into the starter for energizing the solenoid. Its next to the heavy gauge hot battery wire terminal on the starter. I haven't owned the truck forever but it appears factory to me. Its in a bad spot that is prone to tire spray so I can see all kinds of crud getting thrown at it. That is the ONLY weak link in my start system. Just sharing what has worked for me 100% of the time when I turn the key and it won't crank. No bias, straight confirmation.
Does your single-blade-style connector have a plastic piece that locks onto the starter? Mine doesn't..I remember the PO told me it was a ghetto kill switch..He unplugs just enough so there isn't contact but not enough so that it still looks attached (the truck is lifted so access is easy). I'm having hard starting issues and sometimes after cranking for a few seconds it disconnects and I have to fiddle with the connector/starter then it cranks ok again. I usually am able to eventually start the truck but I should replace that cause I'm sure the connector has been compromised over the years..
Old 11-12-2019, 03:52 PM

Mine has a brown clip that keeps it attached to the starter. The connector must get fouled or loose over time requiring a quick R&R. I bathed it in dielectric grease last week, hopefully it will get me through the winter without having to kneel on ice to fcuk with it.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:57 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Try if this procedure CONSISTENTLY makes starter s0len0id click and starter motor run: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52367443
Then let us know.

I have a strong feeling that your truck is one of those that Toyota wired wrong ON THE DRAWING TABLE AND AT THE FACTORY. However, it owul dbe difficult for me to ascertain from 450 miles away, pls put me at your truck:
Post picture of your starter relay and location, wire colors that go to each pin, share schematic of your truck.