Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lift help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift help

Long story short, recently bought a 88 pickup and who ever owned it did a bunch of crappy work. I keep finding it as i work on it more and more.

Anyways im installing new leaf springs in the rear. I know factory the e brake cable goes over the leaf springs and when you add blocks to the rear it then go under. Well which way does it go if no blocks but extra thickness of new leaf springs. When i put it over top it has some contact and tension from leaf springs and when i put it under the same also. Does it matter which way?

Next the rear was sagging even with the 2" blocks so im installing the leaf springs to make it level out the front. Do i need the lspv bracket to adjust its height? From my understanding if you are at stock height no. But being there were 2" blocks in the rear and it was still lower in the rear it was the stock leafs sagging. Putting in the new leafs will now bring it even with the front which i believe is 3inches over stock, but about 4.5 inches from where it was. So should i get a 3" relocating bracket or will stock be fine? Not sure if this matters but its a truck i take hunting, carrying dirt bike to track, and some daily driving so no serious wheeling.

Sorry for the long explanation just trying to give as much info as possible.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM

Received 453 Likes on 249 Posts
welcome to the forum. pictures would help a lot, especially in determining what the PO did to your truck.

your rear leaf packs probably arent any thicker than the Dakar packs im running on my 87 4runner and my cable does not contact my springs. the LSPV usually gets a little extension at 3" from what I have seen. in its factory configuration it is adjustable somewhat. a saggy rear end with a 2" block would be hard unless the front has had a drop bracket added in, in which case it is my opinion to remove it and get back to the factory suspension setup, and it lift is required add a small ball joint spacer and adjust the torsion bars to match the rear.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (10-30-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by keycw
welcome to the forum. pictures would help a lot, especially in determining what the PO did to your truck.

your rear leaf packs probably arent any thicker than the Dakar packs im running on my 87 4runner and my cable does not contact my springs. the LSPV usually gets a little extension at 3" from what I have seen. in its factory configuration it is adjustable somewhat. a saggy rear end with a 2" block would be hard unless the front has had a drop bracket added in, in which case it is my opinion to remove it and get back to the factory suspension setup, and it lift is required add a small ball joint spacer and adjust the torsion bars to match the rear.
I dont think it has a lift in the front i think it is just the torsion bars are cranked up, im not sure. My cable is definitely touching though. Here is a picture i snapped really quick last night. Ill take more pics today when i get off work. I still have the old setup on one side and new setup on other side so ill get pictures of both

Last edited by wrestler157; 10-31-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:09 AM

what rear spring packs did you install? is the support bracket for the cable bent? your front torsion bars can be adjusted up to about 2-2.5 inches usually but at the maxed out adjustment there would be no suspension left, youd be riding in a mini log truck.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 AM

what rear spring packs did you install? is the support bracket for the cable bent? your front torsion bars can be adjusted up to about 2-2.5 inches usually but at the maxed out adjustment there would be no suspension left, youd be riding in a mini log truck.
They are superlift leaf springs, bought them used off a guy. I dont think superlift makes them anymore. I couldnt find much on them except another guy selling them on here a few years ago.

Im not sure if it is bent as i dont know what stock looks like. Im new to these pickups, ive been a 4th gen 4runner guy.

The ride isnt bad for being an old truck to me, i will take some pics of the front today to see if yall can see anything.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
I don't have my 4runner here at work but it appears your bracket might be bent, here is a pic I found online that looks to have much more rise than yours has.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:01 AM

I also found measurements of stock on 4crawler. He stated top of 15" wheel to highest point on fender in the front is 13.5"-14" i am currently sitting at 18" up front.
Front side

Front

Setup im installing. I was able to bend the brake cable tab and now have 1/8\" of clearance from springs

Setup that was on when i bought truck
Originally Posted by jakey poo
I don't have my 4runner here at work but it appears your bracket might be bent, here is a pic I found online that looks to have much more rise than yours has.

Here are some pics.

Last edited by wrestler157; 11-01-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:28 AM

yeah your spindles are not factory and its hard to tell on my phone from the picture but it looks like theres a piece of bracket between your frame and lower cross member which would amount to the added lift you have up front.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:37 AM

yeah your spindles are not factory and its hard to tell on my phone from the picture but it looks like theres a piece of bracket between your frame and lower cross member which would amount to the added lift you have up front.
Yea sorry didnt realize the picture of the front was so crappy till im at work already. That is what i was thinking that the crossmember is dropped to accommodate the lift from spindles. I didnt think those were stock spindles but couldnt confirm.

Thanks for all the help! Trying to learn alot about these older trucks and get everything right from what the previous owners did.
The following users liked this post:
keycw (11-01-2019)