Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AC tensioner pulley missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
AC tensioner pulley missing

Went to install a new AC belt since PO removed it. Got under there and saw the tensioner pulley was missing. Can anyone point me in the direction of the part I need to order? It's a 22RE 86 4Runner. I've included a pic since I think there are two different types. And yeah I know I should probably address the oil leak soon.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:02 PM

Well I found this thread so I'll peruse that. Don't want to be that guy that doesn't use the search.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 PM

Well I found the one in the above thread (88440-35030) on Amazon but it said it didn't fit my 86. So I ordered 88440-35010 because it said it fit. The one in the other thread was for an 89. Didn't think they would be any different?

Last edited by 881stgen; 05-01-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You did pull a vacuum to make sure there are no leaks .

Then maybe your planning to get the AC working

Most times when the belt is removed it is for a reason
Old 05-02-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You did pull a vacuum to make sure there are no leaks .

Then maybe your planning to get the AC working

Most times when the belt is removed it is for a reason
I did not test for leaks. I know some people removed the belt to get a little more power out of the 22RE. I am hoping that's the case. It can't hurt to install the pulley and belt again right? There is a guy in town who will convert it to R134 for $250 if everything is working correctly. If the refrigerant is all leaked out then I will do a leak test before recharging it.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stgen
... I know some people removed the belt to get a little more power out of the 22RE. ....
Yeah, right. That's it. You get SO much more power removing the belt AND idler pulley, rather than turn off the a/c.

The chance that you have a working a/c system (just missing the belt) is somewhere between .00001% and 0.0% . If you are committed to having working A/C and are willing to replace all the components to get it, then the idler pulley is one of those components and it doesn't hurt to start there. DO make sure the compressor spins freely; if you put a belt on a frozen compressor (a likely failure mode) you'll do a lot of damage to something as soon as you start the engine. (You hope the belt will just break, but with a brand new belt ...)

If you're not so sure you want to commit to paying to replace everything, you could just put a set of gauges on it to see if it's full of refrigerant. If not, the refrigerant went somewhere, and you know you're faced with a tear-down to find the leaks. Or maybe it IS full of refrigerant AND the compressor turns easily AND you can see the compressor clutch move when activated -- in that case, sure, put a belt on it.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Yeah, right. That's it. You get SO much more power removing the belt AND idler pulley, rather than turn off the a/c.

The chance that you have a working a/c system (just missing the belt) is somewhere between .00001% and 0.0% . If you are committed to having working A/C and are willing to replace all the components to get it, then the idler pulley is one of those components and it doesn't hurt to start there. DO make sure the compressor spins freely; if you put a belt on a frozen compressor (a likely failure mode) you'll do a lot of damage to something as soon as you start the engine. (You hope the belt will just break, but with a brand new belt ...)

If you're not so sure you want to commit to paying to replace everything, you could just put a set of gauges on it to see if it's full of refrigerant. If not, the refrigerant went somewhere, and you know you're faced with a tear-down to find the leaks. Or maybe it IS full of refrigerant AND the compressor turns easily AND you can see the compressor clutch move when activated -- in that case, sure, put a belt on it.
I know I asked if it would hurt anything, and I appreciate you trying to keep me from doing something stupid, but no need to be an ass, I have seen a lot of stupid things done to these things during 30 years of being owned by yahoos, and one thing I have seen MORE THAN ONCE is someone disconnecting the AC in an ATTEMPT to gain any ounce of power they can. I didn't say it was a good idea. Just don't turn on the A/C. Yes, I already did make sure the compressor spins freely. I did not check the clutch, which I will do. I guess I assumed that with the belt connected again, and a compressor that spins, if there is no A/C it's most likely because the clutch isn't engaging, or there is a leak somewhere and there is no refrigerant. If the whole system was still assembled, I would turn on the car, turn on the A/C and if I didn't get anything then I would start taking it apart to troubleshoot, but since it's not assembled, I don't know what exactly isn't working.

I am already committed to doing all this, which is why I don't mind buying the needed parts. If I need to buy everything else I will. If nothing happens then I will go get it leak tested and converted. I might just buy all new parts anyway, and not mess with trying to get the old stuff working. That being said, the point of this post was about the part number for the tension pulley.

Last edited by 881stgen; 05-02-2017 at 07:21 AM.