Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'86 fender trimming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll get some pics for you later of mine. Gotta remember half the extra height is under the axles also. I have one side cut currently but not the passenger side. The front needs the most cutting and bashing, all at the bottom back corner of the wheelwell.
Big thing helping on mine is the 50$ Jeep coils between the back axle and frame taking all the sag out. Look up the zuk mod for that.
If you do a search also, there's a whole write up on ih8mud where a guy put 35s on stock and wheeled it hard. Good info there also
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyscraps
I'll get some pics for you later of mine. Gotta remember half the extra height is under the axles also. I have one side cut currently but not the passenger side. The front needs the most cutting and bashing, all at the bottom back corner of the wheelwell.
Big thing helping on mine is the 50$ Jeep coils between the back axle and frame taking all the sag out. Look up the zuk mod for that.
If you do a search also, there's a whole write up on ih8mud where a guy put 35s on stock and wheeled it hard. Good info there also
Would love to see some pics! Thanks
yeah! I've been looking into it. I wanted to do what this guy did- https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...photos-207564/ but I'm always kind of chicken when it comes to cutting stuff like that :/
Look forward to seeing some pics though!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:21 PM

While I was waiting for someone to possibly suggest how much to trim, I decided I'd start working on cleaning up the rust on the frame.

After breathing in a lot of rust, getting quite a few chunks in my eye, I've started to make some nice progress! I have about half of it off. Once I'm done, I'm going to grind/sand it, and coat it with something. I read grease and wax is supposed to work pretty good. That, or I'll just use rustoleum.
My shock absorber is also rusted through. Not sure how bad that is lol. They aren't a horrible price, so I'll probably replace that soon.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Cut what you need to squeeze them on then go from there.

Personally I would line it up trace w sharpie then add 1/2" to that line cut there then put tires on and flex them cut where it hits.

front same thing but just put them on to see where you need to bash REMOVE computer it's in passenger side kick panel. Bash the hell out of rear of wheel well on fire wall. Put wheel on, flex it, repeat until satisfied

take toyscrap advice look into and DO Zuk mod it is super cheap and will really help!
Old 08-31-2016, 02:44 PM

Alrighty, so I was just about to start cutting them off today but some guy that was working on the house came across the street to see what I was doing. I told him, and he said I'd completely wreck the 4Runner within a day if I did it and put those tires on. Any truth to it? He said he did it with one of his older trucks and it bent the axel or something. But it wasn't a 4runner.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM

These axles are plenty strong enough for 35s! Ppl run 40s on em or even bigger (hopefully with cromolly shafts and a full floater kit) so you will be fine with 35s

Just do it!

Then post pics
Old 08-31-2016, 07:59 PM

Alright. He said his front tires like folded in after he hit a bump. Just made me want to double check
I'll be doing it tomorrow after work Pretty pumped! I'll make sure to take lots of pictures. Only thing I have is a grinder, so hopefully that does the trick okay.
btw, I checked the gear ratio in the rolled 4runner. I (think) it's 4.3. I used the tape method to check. Think I'm capable of swapping them later on?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Imo I wouldn't think it would be worth the time to swap in 4.30s really wouldn't make much difference. I would just worry bout gears later. And by then u will have an idea of what u wanna do with the truck then what gears would suit you. Maybe you like the taller gearing if u spend more time on highway and stuff and you like it how it is. Or u may want lower gears for crawling or maybe even some where in between. Would just focus on doing good job with the trimming and fitting the tires and go from there.

Also may wanna tie up the load sending proportioning valve so your rear brakes can help stop those big tires. Search around when u can look at the off road mod section here and no shame in going to the newbie section either lots of great info in there! Also toy bible 2.0 over on pirate lots of great info there

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/toyota-faq-66255/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...thread-213713/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/
my fav https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...5780?_k=pvdo8y

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 09-01-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:29 PM

Alrighty... It tis time...

Seems like so much to cut off :/

I think I'm ready to cut... May god half mercy on my grinding skills lol
Old 09-02-2016, 03:33 PM

I'm in the hands of 11 rotten boards when I jack this thing up xD

Old 09-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Could use some advice!
I'm not exactly sure what way to go about cutting the wheel tubs.
I could either cut them really high to match where I cut, then weld something in there (not a great welder though)
Or, do my original plan and cut them in sections and then fold them up

Also, is this okay to cut????

Old 09-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Can I still install the zuk mod without this? lol

Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 PM

Sure can. What I did was weld a small piece of pipe onto the base where the bump stop is supposed to be. Holds the spring in place perfectly. Not gonna bottom out anyway with that coil in there.

Having said that, I'm going to some Chevy's fairly soon. The zuk mod is not the best for articulation and wheel travel. Tho that helps keep rubber and sheet metal separated also.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:23 AM

Sure can. What I did was weld a small piece of pipe onto the base where the bump stop is supposed to be. Holds the spring in place perfectly. Not gonna bottom out anyway with that coil in there.

Having said that, I'm going to some Chevy's fairly soon. The zuk mod is not the best for articulation and wheel travel. Tho that helps keep rubber and sheet metal separated also.
alright good, was kind of worried about that. I'll really have to brush up on my welding then lol
Old 09-09-2016, 10:30 AM

1 down, 3 more to go. I think I did a pretty decent job. I need to take the grinder and some sand paper to touch it up still. I also need to trim the bits off the side as well

Old 09-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Mmmmk. Marked out the front fender, but it doesn't look right. Should I cut it differently?

Gets pretty close to that indent

Gets pretty close the light, and I'd have to cut through that bracket thing

so, I'm not exactly sure what to do now :/
Old 09-10-2016, 01:15 PM

Nice job! The back looks pretty nice.

Just hack off the bracket it just holds that plastic piece for front bumper

As far as the light you should be fine just note were it bolts, remove it prior to cutting. Even if u can only put the top screw back in ur fine. Funny my bottom screw (close to wear ur cutting) has been gone since I owned it lol only top screw but never had an issue, never noticed til now when I went to look at it prior to posting this.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:19 PM

I think the back will look quite nice once I clean it up and weld the sheet metal in
How much clearance is needed for the front? I was thinking about just cutting off a bit, as the tire seems to fit pretty good.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eumrtza2ue...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s2bkf5xka...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5why32l5g...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd4qb0wx4n...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Old 09-10-2016, 03:49 PM

I didn't cut the front much at all. A bit at the bottom back, then bashed it in some with a hammer till it fit at full turn.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:46 PM

I didn't cut the front much at all. A bit at the bottom back, then bashed it in some with a hammer till it fit at full turn.
How exactly did you go about "bashing" it? Would I have to remove all of the electronic stuff out from the side kick panel? Do you mind if you post a few pics of yours?

Quick Reply: '86 fender trimming?