86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1992 4runner build up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well went I went to install the T-100 dipstick union I discovered that I had knocked out the plug from the block but I did not knock out the union as well. So off with the oil pan again. Got the union out and went ahead and changed the rear main seal because the pan was off. I was on the fence about changing it since it was not leaking but I went ahead but I already had it. Got the pilot bearing installed while I had it back on the engine stand. Mounted the 3.0 alternator and the 3.4 power steering pump. Ordered what should be the last of the parts, new belts, fuel filter, pcv valve, fuel pump and strainer. Hopefully the exhaust crossover comes in this week. Thinking about getting it coated with this http://www.calicocoatings.com/coatin...ramic-coating/ . Any thoughts from others aka does it really need to be coated? I may just do it since its not that expensive. Its only about 40 bucks I think.

Last edited by sphealy; 04-18-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:31 AM

So I finally got the crossover pipe from ORS in the mail yesterday. I really wasn't thrilled about the price but I think in the long run it was the way to go. The pipe is a larger than the factory piece so it should flow better. Hope to get it dropped off Monday for the coating.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM

Think I'm going to skip the coating after thinking about it. Between the larger than stock pipe and the 2 inch body lift I'm not really concerned about heat back there. I got the gas tank dropped today and installed new fuel pump. I was pleased to see no rust in the gas tank so I opted to skip the RED KOTE sealer.Reinstalled gas tank. R/R fuel filter and spark plugs. Reinstalled throttle body onto intake and connected misc. hoses. Should be ready to drop in tomorrow for good if I can get the correct flywheel bolts. With any luck I can have it running before the end of the day.....

Last edited by sphealy; 04-26-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Well yesterday took a left turn. I was missing one exhaust stud on the passenger side manifold where the crossover mounts. Installed 1 missing stud no problem. The other two needed to be replaced. So i double nutted the studs to attempt to remove them. Due to the threads being in poor shape the double nut wouldn't hold. So I welded the nut to the stud. Again nut let go. Welded it back on there, stud broke off. Repeated same process for the second stud with exact same results. I then remembered I had an extra exhaust manifold from the $50 dollar 3.4 off of craigslist. I was lucky enough that all the crossover studs were in good shape. So I went to pull the exhaust manifold off. That didn't go as planned but it could have been alot worse. The studs came out of the heads instead of the nuts coming off. Ordered 6 new studs and nuts. Should be able to get them tomorrow. Since I wasn't going to get it running I went ahead and dropped off the crossover to get coated today. They said between 4 to 10 days before I would get it back. Longer than I had hoped but at least it won't rust on me.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:13 PM

Got the pipe back quick. Dropped it off Tuesday and got it back today. Hope to get it installed tomorrow depending on the weather.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Well its back from the dead. I got the wiring close enough to turn it over on its own tonight. After 2.5 years of sitting and very slow work it finally motor noises. Still have a lot to do before its ready to run but it was a good feeling hooking up the computer and having almost everything work right. Does anyone know why my tach would stay at 3000 with the motor off? I did the tach mode several years ago and I'm pretty sure i did it right. Any incite would be helpful with that one.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
That's awesome! Congrats on getting her fired up.

I know the feeling of no one commenting on your build, but the way I look at it; this is a log of the things you're doing. If someone wants to comment, cool, but it's first and foremost a log.

anyways, I'm looking forward to a video.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Obviously I'm not the most dedicated one on here to finish a project but I went out to the 4runner today and progressed from turning over to actually running. Still have lots to do to get it back on the road but I was pretty happy about that. Exhaust is only connected at the crossover so it sounded pretty mean but I wouldn't want to deal with that noise on a daily basis.