Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Want to learn everything about the 22re

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I Want to learn everything about the 22re

Hey guys, names Jake. Before I go on asking questions, I do want you to know that I have watched the newbie video and have searched for all of the questions that I want to ask and have still found nothing that has helped. So to get started, I bought a 92 pickup with the 22re and absolutely love the truck. So much, that I wanted to clean the truck up allot so I just recently got the whole thing painted and am working on wheels, tires, ect. But my real question is where can I find a book, forum, website, that shows me how the 22re works and what each and every part does. I'm new too tinkering with engines but I'm so fascinated and want to learn. I have no one in person to show me so I'm all on my own. Any info on where to find this information or where to get started would be very appreciated.

Last edited by gonefishing94; 03-30-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Track down the Factory Service Manual for your truck .

In your case it would be for a 1992 Pick Up

Keep looking they sometimes pop up online on Forums .

Keep watching Ebay

Helm inc sells new ones at really inflated prices.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I like Haynes Manuals. I have a FSM. As far as what each component does, I am not sure where to find that. This site does have a ton of information. One way I learn is go to a boneyard and disassemble a junk truck as if it were my own. No cutting or ripping things out. Once you see how things come apart, it usually helps understanding how it operates and reassemble.

Not many parts on these trucks I have not disassembled to see how it operated. Learning this stuff just doesn't happen over night. Watch a lot of youtube videos, go thru build threads, learn how to use a manual and where to find the information in it.

Get some parts from a bone yard and get out your manual and see what it does and different test you can run on them. Several parts can be repaired with cleaning, adjustments, seals....
Old 03-30-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The FSM is critical reading, as is the Haynes. The Chilton, meh. But still it's a reference and there's not many options.

Also, check Wikipedia. They have good articles on the truck line and the engine lines. Good history lesson and cross reference/supersession info.

Then look through here for links to other reference sites.
Then watch videos on YouTube of repairs to 22re engines.
Then look into buying a junk motor, and rebuilding it on a stand.

If you can do that, rebuilding each piece yourself and assembling it, you'll be really proud of yourself. Then you find a cheap chassis to toss it into, and now you're building trucks! Do it!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:12 PM

Great information!! I appreciate all of it guys. I'm actually deployed at the moment so I have my girlfriend tracking down a FSM and also a Haynes manual now! The great thing about it is she's interested in the whole process as well so were both trying to get all the information we can before I get back so we can start tinkering. Also I'm really glad you brought up getting a junk motor tj884Rdlx, I'm thinking on getting one now and a rebuild kit so I can learn on the go. Thanks again for all the info and I'll keep anyone posted how it goes! Also if any of you guys need help with body work on your truck and have questions I'd be more then happy to help you out, I'm a sheet metalist on the F-15E's so I've done tons of specialized body work.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
A build thread is one of the most valuable tools available to you and least used. Create a build thread and when you find information, post a link, picture or where to get the best part at the best deal. You will stumble across information when you are looking at other things. Get to know this site as there is tons of information on here. It takes some time to learn your way around it.

I can tell you how to energize the fuel pump by jumpering the FP +B terminals and it isn't real clear to you what I am talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Fp +B Fuel Pump Test for 87 and newer. Use a paper clip for better results.
Name:  fpb_zpsc5e91bc0.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  85.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-31-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good book to read would be "How To Keep Your Toyota Truck Alive", it's pretty cool because of how accessible it is. You could enjoy reading it.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 AM

I definetly get what your saying how pictures can help in a huge way. I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw the image. You guys are definitely a great group of people and I look forward asking questions and helping in anyway possible! Thanks again guys you made my day!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also if you have web access, get familiar with the oem Toyota parts wholesaler sites that use the online parts diagrams. (one example that's decent: toyotaparts.checkeredflag.com)

You may never actually order from them, but these can help identify parts by number as well as simply just knowing the right name they're called is helpful.

The FSM is found easiest online, but i think paper versions can be found on ebay if you want the real thing on hand.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
"Good book to read would be "How To Keep Your Toyota Truck Alive", it's pretty cool because of how accessible it is. You could enjoy reading it."

+1

This is the best place to start. I got mine for $22 on eBay. Some people try to sell this for crazy high $, but if you wait, you'll find one. Also, there was a free download floating around and I had it safely loaded to my phone and laptop before I picked up the hardcopy.

Last edited by gsp4life; 04-19-2016 at 07:57 AM.