Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Remedy Software

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remedy Software

Has anyone here ever used Remedy Software? I am trying to develop a Help Desk application in Remedy. I have never even heard of Remedy before undertaking this project.

If you have any websites, applications, or other information you could pass my way, I would be greatly appreciative!

-Sherpa
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

My wife uses it all the time, but as an end user, not a developer. Not sure if she could help or not.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I too am an end user.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I am at least glad to know there are others on the board that know what I am talking about! Hopefully someone will know how to develop in Remedy.

TDiddy and pigcake, thanks for speaking up.

-Sherpa
Old 02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Would you guys do me a big favor?

TDiddy, would you ask your wife if she can talk to her Remedy developers. I am sure there are some Public Domain applications aready built in Remedy, and I am trying to find them. I have downloaded a couple from the Remedy website and they really don't work for me, and I don't know enough about this product to figure out how to modify anything. Well, at least not modify it how I want.

pigcake, would you mind trying to do the same thing? I am trying to develop a Help Desk application. I need it to track interal IT help requests, work with Microsoft Exchange's Global Address List (GAL) and send emails to the submitter letting them know the status of their request.

All I have are the CD and 5 manuals that came with the program. The manuals do not seem to address the nuts and bolts of designing a how to develop an application as much as they just tell you what things do and how to perform administratve functions.

Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Will do. I passed the info on to my wife, once she figures out who to contact she can e-mail them.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Will do. I passed the info on to my wife, once she figures out who to contact she can e-mail them.
Awesome! Thanks to you and your wonderful wife!

-Sherpa
Old 02-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

She's still trying to find out who to talk to. Apparently they outsourced the development to contractors...
Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

I can be patient. Just tell her I appreciate her help.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't been able to track down who takes care of ours yet. I'll hit up the IT nazi tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Sarah has had similar luck. She contacted a few people today, and no one could remember who their consultant was. For support issues, she just calls their help desk. I'm not sure if they would know what you'r elooking for or not, but she can try tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the support, guys!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Sherpa,
I have done some developing with remedy. First off, some of the email features you asked about are already integrated into remedy. The best way to build a tool for this application is not to bother integrating. All of remedy's data is stored in a oracle DB. Ask the DBA for access or test environment to build your tool. Since you are only pulling data and not modifying this will work quite well. The tools I have built were PHP/Shell and were for statistics and reporting. These tools were live on an intranet page for execs of a call center.

The database table/column names are pretty easy to decipher. DBA can help you with that.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

One last thing, I don't recommend trying to integrate with exchange either. Remedy user profiles should contain each users email address and the exchange server can send mail kicked off by some basic scripting.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Mickdady,

Thanks for the reply. I have full access to the server where Remedy and SQL Server are loaded. I am Remote Desktoping into the server so I can sit at my desk and not try to develop standing in the server room.

I need some sort of tutorial. I have the CD, and 5 Remedy manuals that came with the CD. That is it. Basically I am in need of a primer. If I could somehow get the ball rolling a little faster, I think I'd be pretty much okay. I did move away from Remedy for about a week and when I came back, it did seem to make more sense. I think there are just too many choice and options and it is a little more than a tenderfoot can handle. I guess Remedy is a little too customizable for my level.

There isn't any money in the budget for this quarter to send me to any training, so I am stuck trying to figure it out on my own. When I am not struggling in Remedy, I am working in MS Access. It is almost a race to see which project gets done first, with Access way out in the lead. It is actually the same project, but since I am not having any luck in Remedy, I am trying to develop the Help Desk Database in MS Access. If I need to, I can later up size it to SQL Server for a full-on client/server application.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

ok what specifically is it you want to do. for example:

Make a report that shows all of the people who have tickets assigned to them for over 24hrs.

Give me an example like that.

Also, I think you missed my point about developing outside of Remedy. You can learn remedy all you want but unless you are the admin you won't be able to customize, create your own channels, or build in reporting. So that leaves database reporting as pretty much your only option. This is quite easy. You don't need to create a database. Just learn PHP or ASP. Both are capable, just depends on your environment. It appears you use SQL instead of Oracle so it is likely you work in an Microsoft environment.

Create ASP scripts within a intranet webpage to pull data using common SQL statement to - compute equations, create charts, etc etc. There really is no limit to what you can do. Just remember pulling data is resource intensive, especially with large queries. When I did developement I created a reporting database which was an exact replica of the production db except that it was 5 min behind. So every 5 min it would update the Delta between the two.

Remedy is somewhat of a pain in the ass yet at the same time I enjoyed some of the reporting scripts I created. Kinda fun turning millions of bits of data into a clean concise report.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Mickdady,

Hmm. I don't even know where to start describing it to you. I need to develop a complete helpdesk system. One of the things, for an example, is I'd like a way to automatically send an email to an employee informing them of the status of their helpdesk request. When IT closes the ticket, the system would automatically send the employee an email notifying them the ticket is closed and that if they need further support, to contact IT again.

That sort of thing.

-S
Old 02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Your in luck, Remedy already does this. Just needs to be configured. If the Remedy admin doesn't know how to do this you can either contact rememdy folks or start diging through forums for people know have configured rememdy. I wish I could help you but it has been so long since I have worked with it, my memory has faded.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks anyway Mickdady,

I was pretty sure it already did this, but haven't figured it out how yet.

-S
Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

I've also done some Remedy development. I've built a couple of Helpdesk applications like you describe. I also use it every day.

It sounds like you're missing about 10 books. Remedy actually has some pretty good documentation, but I'm not sure if the books ship with it or are sold seperately.

What version are you using? We have 6.0 and 4.5. We're running two servers for political reasons.

I could send form definitions for our Helpdesk application. You'd probably have to do some tweaking to make them do what you need, but it'd definitely be easier than starting from scratch.

Quick Reply: Remedy Software