Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Where should I install the tweeter on component speakers in rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where should I install the tweeter on component speakers in rear door?

I just purchased some Blaupunkt components from cardomain.com and was trying to figure out where I should put the tweeters for the rear speakers. I was considering almost directly under the door lock for the best sound presentation. However, I’m not sure if space will allow this and if I’m too into cutting the vinyl up there. My alternate position was close to the current speaker location where the door panel is simple plastic which will be easy to cut, but presents a bit less sound presentation. What are any of your thoughts on this? Also, has anybody replaced the factory tweeters up front? Will a standard aftermarket component tweeter fit nicely in the sail panel fixture that the stock tweeter is in? As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brady
Old 09-13-2004, 09:35 PM

coaxial it. (the rear door) Truely, sound presentation is BEST when the speakers are located closely together, unless you have Time delay capability.

as fas as the front sail panel goes, I was able to put 1" MBQuart Premium Tweeters in the pods, they didnt screw into the same holes as the originals, so I just siliconed them into the plastic panels themselves. plenty solid. Not all tweeters will fit, youll have to try em on for size. take your sail panel into the shoppe with you.

Until I put them on time delay to match the PLD of the mids in the doors, I really didnt like the tweeters in the sail panel. Actually I still dont, but I cant do kick panels without ruining the speakers with muddy feet in short order, so I stuck with sails. Compromising sucks sometimes.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:06 PM

I've got the speakers on their way (so hopefully the 1" Blaupunkt tweeters will work out for me). So your suggestion in the rear doors is to put the tweeters down by the existing spearker grills (where the new mids will be)?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Old 09-14-2004, 01:04 PM

Awesome. Thanks a lot for the picture. I wonder if I could find paint to match and paint the rear tweeters to blend in with the door panels.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

I thought about that...but after the install, it matched with the window switch enough not to care. But I bet you could find something easily at home depot...a can of spray paint perhaps?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:17 PM

I was thinking that, too. And if not that, maybe a hobby store for model paint? I wonder if there'd be a bit better selection of colors. The other choice would be to paint the surrounds the silver color (I have the SE so it's got the silver details over the front console, window switch covers, etc.) and leave the tweeter itself black. They're Blaupunkts so the tweeter has a blue dot (Blau punkt) in it. I think if I tried to paint the tweeter itself the tan that the door panels are, it would probably look strange with the blue dot.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:23 PM

My recommendation for coaxial is where the tweeter is right in the center of the mid. Single point source of sound for better imaging and alignment,

.....however, if your putting tweeters in the back, imaging and alignment obviously arent among your concerns (unless you have a surround system for a indash/visor DVD or something.)

You can get spray paint custom mixed if youre really up to do it.

Usually you have to buy a pint that they will mix for you, and then theyll put it in cans for you for a couple bucks more. Automotive Paint and Body Supply shoppes is where you need to go.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:07 PM

Has anybody with an SE found any paint to match the silver on the interior? I'm just curious if there's a simple, commercial paint that matches sufficiently.