Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice mod! I love seeing this type of work.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had my Eclipse 2454 the damn antenna would stay up all the time. Talk about a huge annoyance. I ended up installing a switch to control the antenna manaully. I think it is somehting about the nav that keeps the antenna up...
Old 03-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

For everyone that may look into buying this unit, and want to mount it they way I did, you are going to have to trim the top and bottom as well as the sides.

If you look at the first pics, there is no gap. It needs one to move, and this is where you will have to trim the top and bottom, unless you mount it some other way.

It's kind of easy if you just follow the ribs on the back. On the top you will go to the outside of the lower rib, and the bottom just cut it flush. I didn't have pics yet since I ran out of battery power and just wanted to finish up.

Also, I found the corners to be quite tricky.

I still have not tapped the speed and reverse sensors. It's raining out, and it's just not the right time to do it.

Originally Posted by dibble9012
looks nice, can you get a pic of the unit opened (like the 3rd one down on the left and right) So I can see the gap between the plate and the opened nav? Thanks
Dibs, I ran out of battery power, but can say it's about, or a little less, than a pencil on the third and final tilt, which it the greatest tilt it offers.
It's not much at all, even after trimming the top and bottom to make the face slide down and out.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

this is so sexy.

are you gonna get that adapater thing that'll let you play dvds and hook up things like an ipod?

Last edited by calrockx; 03-21-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Pics of tilt gaps. Hope this is what you're looking for Dibble.

You may notice the gap looks smaller with "press tilt once" than no tilt. It's just the angle of the radio changing and it goes up a little as the angle changes.

No tilt:

Press tilt once:

Press tilt twice:

Press tilt "thrice"

Old 03-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

I found the pic of the back of the trim panel I was talking about and thought I deleted.

You can see the "ribs" I was talking about.

I am going to try to edit this pic up a little with some lines to show you where I cut. I just want to post the original first, and will edit in the other pic if I can actually edit it.

This is pre-cutting as you can see.

Just about all the material on the inside of the red came out, and I shaved down the areas in purple. Don't use this as a template though, it's not exact.

EDIT: The left side of the pic should follow the outside of that rib. The top part would be the inside of that first rib. The bottom would be the inside of the rib. The right was cut to fit since there is more material there to work with on that side.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-20-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
this is so sexy.

are you gonna get that adapater think that'll let you play play dvds and hook up things like an ipod?
I didn't even see this when I looked at the thread before.

I doubt I am going to get the DVD player to watch on the radio. It's not a comfortable position to be watching. Say the climate control and the radio were reversed, I would do it.
I may just get a portable DVD player for the g/f since I don't watch many movies, or I may look into a way to mount a screen in her visor.
I don't think there is a way without an after-market DVD changer/player.

As far as the IPOD, I don't have one, nor do I think I have a need for one.
It's just not something I am interested in. I'll get Sirius before an IPOD.

EDIT: I may get the camera and mount it up front or somewhere different (roof rack) than the rear just for ha-ha's.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-20-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

More posts I missed till now.

Originally Posted by Cebby
Nice mod! I love seeing this type of work.
Thanks. Not an original idea though. It came from rearviewmirror here. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/my-first-4runner-mod-47322/ I'm sure you already saw that though.

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
When I had my Eclipse 2454 the damn antenna would stay up all the time. Talk about a huge annoyance. I ended up installing a switch to control the antenna manaully. I think it is somehting about the nav that keeps the antenna up...
At least I know it would have happened with the Eclipse, which was my first choice after someone on YT pointed it out to me when I was looking at the Kenwood and I think Pioneer, Then it was my second choice after I saw the thread I replied to Cebby with up top here.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

I gave it the first long test today on the way to work. Very accurate. Even at "higher rates of speed" it keeps up.
My location does jump a few feet every so often if I am sitting still.

I also had the volume cranked up for a bit, and it does sound cleaner than the stock radio.
Now I have to decide if I really want to dump so much into the rest of the system.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:01 AM

Just curious, how much did you spend on the OEM NAV unit?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
My location does jump a few feet every so often if I am sitting still.
Do you think this has to do with the speed sensor that still needs to be connected?

Andreas
Old 03-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Does the nav unit have video outputs, how many inputs? What I am thinking of doing, is adding 2 rear video screens, and be able to watch the dvd/nav in the back too. How could I set it up where the rear screens can watch a dvd, while the nav is up front, or all viewing a dvd.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

I was reading on other posts that you cannot operate the nav or watch a dvd when the car is moving, is there a way to disable that safety feature, (for my passengers)? It would be annoying to have to pull over to change my route.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yes, you can disable it, you have to cut a wire or something.. i cant remember, but ive def. read that before.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:38 AM
lee
Contributing Member

thats why you guys need to get one of these:

(garmin ique 3200)
i love mine!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I doubt I am going to get the DVD player to watch on the radio. It's not a comfortable position to be watching. Say the climate control and the radio were reversed, I would do it.

I dont know if it's possible for the limited ones with the auto climate controls, but I was able to relocate the heating/ac controls to the base, and move the screen up

Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
yes, you can disable it, you have to cut a wire or something.. i cant remember, but ive def. read that before.
Yea i read something like that, but they also said that for the nav to work right, you have to have the speed sensor, and the unit uses the speed sensor to control the options available. 4runnerf, when you get it all set up, let us know what you can and cant do on it when driving, and if you can set it up so everything is available while driving.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scarface
Just curious, how much did you spend on the OEM NAV unit?
$1,575 with S+H & insurance (which was $25) This was W/O the amp.
$50 for the Dremel.
http://www.oemvalue.com/request/toyotanav

Originally Posted by aowRS
Do you think this has to do with the speed sensor that still needs to be connected?

Andreas
Maybe. It was all overcast and raining too, so that may have had a little to do with it.

Does the nav unit have video outputs, how many inputs? What I am thinking of doing, is adding 2 rear video screens, and be able to watch the dvd/nav in the back too. How could I set it up where the rear screens can watch a dvd, while the nav is up front, or all viewing a dvd.
If you use this, you have to get an external DVD player to watch DVD's. I guess you can pick one up with video outs on it.
I don't think I am going this route. Too much bling for me is no good.

I was reading on other posts that you cannot operate the nav or watch a dvd when the car is moving, is there a way to disable that safety feature, (for my passengers)? It would be annoying to have to pull over to change my route.
From what I know, you DON'T connect it to the reverse switch. You will just ground it somewhere to defeat the function. If it's another radio, they may have it where it may have to be spliced into "park" you would just ground it someplace else.

Originally Posted by lee
thats why you guys need to get one of these:

(garmin ique 3200)
i love mine!
Ahhh the radio is more fun. It can do everthing short of cook you breakfast. O wait, it can tell you where to go get some though

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I dont know if it's possible for the limited ones with the auto climate controls, but I was able to relocate the heating/ac controls to the base, and move the screen up
That would have been really nice, but it looked like a lot of workto move it down.
You wouldn't have to look down to look at the NAV, but you really don't have to look at it once you hook up the speed wire, which enables the voice function. You just want to look at it cause it's sa damn uhh cool.

Yea i read something like that, but they also said that for the nav to work right, you have to have the speed sensor, and the unit uses the speed sensor to control the options available. 4runnerf, when you get it all set up, let us know what you can and cant do on it when driving, and if you can set it up so everything is available while driving.
I'll don't think I'll ever know, since I may not get the other options orthre than the MIC. It's not something I need or want, and doubt I myself will use. My g/f wanted the DVD function, but too bad, it's my truck. I'll just get her a portable DVD player if there is no easy and cheap solution to stick a moniter in the visor.
The NAV speed sensor is just for tunnels and under bridges and parking garages. It can keep track of you, but I doubt you NEED it, since the GPS will pick you back up anyway.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot this.

There is some feature in the calibration mode that says something about adjusting for new tires. I don't know what it did, or if it worked.
Just wanted to point that out.
And if you have bigger/smaller tires than stock, the speed sensor may or may not throw you off course, since it is going by the speed on the speedo, and that will be out of whack with non OEM sizes.

How do I calibrate my speedo BTW? I searched and read and didn't find anything relevant.

If you're going to order one of these after-market HU's, I think this may be the one if you're not into watching movies from the bat. It will cost more for the DVD player and you'd have to probably have to have video outs on it, I have to look at the pic of the back of the radio, but I think it does not have them.

www.OEMVAlue.com
Recent News

March 16th, 2005

We are sold out of the 2005 Toyota Camry Navigation systems for the time being, more are expect to arrive next week. There are a few 2005 Toyota Solara (Tundra, Sienna, 4Runner) Navigation systems in stock and for sale. Considering the rarity of these units, we are doing the best we can to keep them in stock. Click here for more information.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

what's the difference between the camry and solara systems?

Last edited by calrockx; 03-21-2005 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.