Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.

It's in. It's not complete at this time since I still have to tap the speed and reverse wires.

I also have it so tight, I need to trim more to open and change the angle of the display.

For all those wanting this, it's nice. I have to trim more on the sides, so I may have a small gap. The cuts were not clean on the left side which had more material if you look at it. The Dremel just wasn't small enough for me to make a razor like cut.

I did run into the issue with that white box, and had some clearance issues, but you can see I made it work and did not have to modify that box. I just simply lined up the holes and got the screws back in and proceeded to tighten them down. The brackets on the side may have bent a little to pull it in, but it's no big deal.

I do have a concern for the fan that is in the radio and it not pulling air in, but I will address that when I take it back out to make the final touches to it. I did not work on it all day, maybe for 1½ hours of actual work. I may get a nice small fan and stick it in behind there to assist in cooling.

You can see there is no gaps on the trim, but that may change. If I do have a gap I will use the "piping" idea. I think a nice round black shoelace will do for me. I tried it just in case, and it didn't look bad at all.

You can see the issue with the "white box" here

And this is the original thread.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Awesome!

Good job. Keep us posted. I think this is enough incentive for me to forge ahead and do the same.

It looks as if you were able to actually recess the unit far enough in that it sits within the opening. Others I've seen look as if the screen itself resides outside of the stereo surround. I like your method.

As an aside, did you find that the power antenna goes up regardless of the settings?

Cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 03-19-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aowRS
Awesome!
As an aside, did you find that the power antenna goes up regardless of the settings?
Cheers,
Andreas
???. It goes up and down for me. It takes a little longer to go down than the stock radio did. With the stocker you turn the power off and it goes down. This OEM takes like 5 seconds to start to retract, still at the same speed.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

In this first picture, you can see the mounting plates that came off of the stock HU. They did not fit as you can see, so I just bent them up a little so I can always hammer them flat if I had to.
I debated cutting, but that's permanent, and would have taken longer.
The second pic shows the bend to make it fit.

Other than that, It's plug and play if you have and get the right stuff.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

looks nice, can you get a pic of the unit opened (like the 3rd one down on the left and right) So I can see the gap between the plate and the opened nav? Thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dibble9012
looks nice, can you get a pic of the unit opened (like the 3rd one down on the left and right) So I can see the gap between the plate and the opened nav? Thanks
Can't open it cause of the lack of a gap. I'll take more when I put the final touches on it.
It doesn't stick out nearly as much as I thought it would from seeing the pics on OEMValues website.
It may be different for someone else though.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

4RF,
Someone had mentioned in one of the other posts that the power antenna goes up, regardless of whether the radio is on, the NAV is on or the CD is on. The poster mentioned that would would like to install a manual switch for the antenna. Can't remember who it was - I'm too tired right now.

Found the comment:
One annoying thing about the NAV is it put the power antenna up even if you have it on CD or Changer mode. Which sucks because if you go through low trees or branches there is no way to get the antenna to go down like you could with the stock radio. I'd like to put a power switch so I could raise and lower the antenna manually like my LandCruiser had.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 03-19-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Here are some more.
I must have deleted the pic of the back of the trim panel, but I think you will get what I am saying.

As you look at your trim panel around the radio, you will notice the right side has less material to trim off. When you trim the right side, from the back, you will see "ribs" and you'll want to cut on the outside of that. I did it with a Leatherman. The razor edge blade was just turned over and scored backwards about 15 times since it removes material faster.

Make you adjustments with the left side sine you will have more to work with.
If you try and center it, you will cut into the simulated wood that I have. You may have something different.

Also, you will have to trim one of the clips that slides in and locks the trim to the dash. I believe it was the left side. You may be able to see what I am talking about in these pics.

EDIT: These pics are before I sanded and cleaned up the edges, so they look sloppy. Plus I was shaking like a mental patient from too many brews last night.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-20-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

4RF,
Someone had mentioned in one of the other posts that the power antenna goes up, regardless of whether the radio is on, the NAV is on or the CD is on. The poster mentioned that would would like to install a manual switch for the antenna.
Andreas
I didn't notice anything like that. I turned it the truck off and it went down, but I didn't try to turn the radio off with it running.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Any idea what one of these surrounds costs from the dealer (or online source)? I mounted a Uniden CB in place of my ashtray years ago and may consider doing away with the unit when I install the NAV. When the CB went in, I did quite a bit of altering to the underside of the stereo surround. Wouldn't mind starting with a fresh item.

Andreas
Old 03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Any idea what one of these surrounds costs from the dealer (or online source)? I mounted a Uniden CB in place of my ashtray years ago and may consider doing away with the unit when I install the NAV. When the CB went in, I did quite a bit of altering to the underside of the stereo surround. Wouldn't mind starting with a fresh item.

Andreas
Probably your arm. Go to a junkyard.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

I just shot off an email to Greg at Toyota-parts.com. I'll post back with the price. May not be that bad.

Andreas
Old 03-19-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
andreas,

i see them every so often on ebay.

bob
Old 03-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Cool.

I looked at OEMValue.com today and it said they have no more in stock.
Also, if you don't want to use PayPal, PM me if you are going to order.

It was plug and play except for the cutting and the bending of the brackets.

For me, it was the main power harness, two antennae, The speed sensor splice, and the reverse splice, and the NAV antenna.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ugh. Bumped
Old 03-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

I just rememberd one more thing.
I have 75's on the truck now so the speed will be off a little when I hook up the speed sensor wire. I have to go and find out how to calibrate it.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Question: The speed sensor wire is on the GPS? If so why does the GPS need to know the vehicles self calculated speed. My GPS/navigation system reads the speed from the satelites (by triangulation) not from the vehicle. It is more accurate than your speedometer. Just curious as to how this unit uses that info.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great by the way!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
Question: The speed sensor wire is on the GPS? If so why does the GPS need to know the vehicles self calculated speed. My GPS/navigation system reads the speed from the satelites (by triangulation) not from the vehicle. It is more accurate than your speedometer. Just curious as to how this unit uses that info.
From what I know, it's just in case you go into a tunnel or parking garage or anywhere that there is not a line of sight with the satellites.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

I know it stays on with a CD now. I guess it would be up all the time. I'll maybe tool around with a test light one day and see if there may be a way to bring the antenna up for only AM/FM operation. That is of course when driving around with the antenna up gets old, the summer is coming.

I just found one more thig out. I thought I brock my clock, I didn't. There isa dummy harness on the back and I had it plugged into there, well, cause I am a dummy. It is super hard to pull out of that slot too. I'll take a pic.

EDIT: Notice the dummy connection to the right of the "G"? I couldn't see the other when I was putting it all back together.

4RF,
Someone had mentioned in one of the other posts that the power antenna goes up, regardless of whether the radio is on, the NAV is on or the CD is on. The poster mentioned that would would like to install a manual switch for the antenna. Can't remember who it was - I'm too tired right now.
Found the comment:
Andreas

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-20-2005 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: OEM NAV is in. Pics inside.