Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Metra Car Stereo Installation Kit doesn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM
JML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metra Car Stereo Installation Kit doesn't fit

I'm trying to get a stereo mounted into my truck and have been avoiding purchasing radio brackets for $25 on Ebay (they didn't come with my truck). I got tired of the auctions and decided to just buy a Metra Car Installation Kit for Toyota from Checker Auto Parts. It was 17.99 and comes with the side brackets and face plate.

I spent about 30 minutes after taking apart my dash to cut all the little tabs I'm supposed to cut. It kinda almost comes close to fitting but doesn't actually hold the stereo in place. According to the instructions, I'm supposed to have a little metal cage that the radio would slide in, but I dont have one of those. The makeshift plastic radio brackets don't fit and the overall frame is too big for the Sony cd player I bought. There is nothing that screws into the radio and no way to actually mount the stereo in place.

Don't buy these, they're crap. Checker better give me my money back.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had problems with mine too.

The instructions for second gen 4Runners were mislabeled as "Tacoma" LOL

The headunit should have the cradle with it, mine did. Once I figured out the tab issue, it all fit just fine.

Lamm
Old 06-01-2006, 07:08 AM
JML

The little screw in mounts on the brackets aren't even in the right place. Even after I cut the miscellaneous ones.
There is also additional plastic parts that hits the heater and would need to be cut off too, but the directions don't indicate this.

i picked up my head unit used. So it doesn't have a cradle and with out it the headunit just falls into the dash.

very very frustrated.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 PM

Why are you not ISO mounting the head unit?
Install kit should not be needed.
See the following link:
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf

Last edited by Astralplane; 06-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:53 PM
JML

There are no radio brackets. In the pdf you sent, this assumes you have the radio brackets and a pocket and screws... My truck came with a big hole. No radio, no brackets.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:44 PM

Ebay is your Yellow Brick Road
Search toyota brackets

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...70259573QQrdZ1
Old 06-03-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JML
I'm trying to get a stereo mounted into my truck and have been avoiding purchasing radio brackets for $25 on Ebay (they didn't come with my truck). I got tired of the auctions and decided to just buy a Metra Car Installation Kit for Toyota from Checker Auto Parts. It was 17.99 and comes with the side brackets and face plate.

I spent about 30 minutes after taking apart my dash to cut all the little tabs I'm supposed to cut. It kinda almost comes close to fitting but doesn't actually hold the stereo in place. According to the instructions, I'm supposed to have a little metal cage that the radio would slide in, but I dont have one of those. The makeshift plastic radio brackets don't fit and the overall frame is too big for the Sony cd player I bought. There is nothing that screws into the radio and no way to actually mount the stereo in place.

Don't buy these, they're crap. Checker better give me my money back.
Ok they are trying to get you to din mount the radio in the dash kit. this is normal and it sounds like its ok. the only thing you need is a sony cage. If you need one still gimme a should I can ship you one via fed-ex for pretty damn cheap.

Personally your best bet is to go on ebay and find the OEM metal brackets...