Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Intrumet panel and exterior lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Instrumet panel and exterior lights not working

i just replaced the original stereo for a cheap JVC, well after diggin on the wiring, i finished installing it, afert that the intrument light panel and the exterior lights dont work, the head lamps work the brake lights work too and the turn lights work the other lights dont work, when i activate or deactivate the alarm they turn on(they flash), but when i use the switch to turn them on they wont turn on. what could it be?
the stereo that i installed had no dimming control so the cables for the dimming control are not connected to the stereo. the interior lights work, the alarm for warning youu that the headlamps are on when you take the key out does not work anymore either.
now what could it be, when i move the switch(not the ignition) i heard the relay working but no light comes out. :cry: HELP!!! any ideas?
4runner 98.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
man, your spelling, grammar and punctuation is giving me a headache!

now, please tell me you used a wiring harness to wire up your stereo. :eek: if not, the obvious answer would be "you incorrectly wired something up"

look at my write up here: http://www.4runners.org/articles/headunit

as you can see, all of the wiring is soldered from the supplied head unit harness to the two metra harnesses. those two metra harnesses plug into the stock harness at the other end. if you look at the wiring map, none of the wires that need to be soldered have anything to do with your instrument panel.

my quesitons are: what wires did you cut into? did you cut directly from the stock harness?

bob
Old 08-17-2005, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened when I wired up my stereo the first time, I used a harness and everything, I couldn't figure the damn thing out. What had happened was I pinched a wire when the stereo went in and it was blowing a fuse under the hood, every time I replaced the fuse, it blew, so check the underhood fuses and look for a pinched wire in, on , or around the stereo.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine did almost the same thing turns out that i had to run a new ground wire to the stereo mounting frame
Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im with bob on this one....

1st check your 'dome' fuse underhood. I had the exact same issues when my 'dome' fuse underhood blew....loooong story on how that blew.

And if it keeps blowing, you pinched a wire.

If nothing is blown fuse wise, you cut into somethingyou shouldnt have....
Old 09-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, I think i found my problem, I have the same issue, and i have been looking for the short that keeps blowing the fuse. reading this, I think i know where to look now, I just replaced my head unit too, and now..no tails or dash lights.