Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Door speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door speakers.

I know quite a few people have done this already, so I am hoping to draw off of some of your experience/knowledge if thats possible. I am looking into mounting a set of 6 1/2" coaxial speakers in my doors, and was wondering if you had any reccomendations/warnings? I obviously need a speaker with a low profile magnet, right? The actual mounting/fabrication shouldn't be a problem at all....its just the actual speaker choice. Also, should I go with a biaxial speaker? or a component set? if so, where would be the best place to mount the tweeter.
I am planning on putting coaxial speakers in the kickpanels I am making, but I am going to aim them properly (imaging?). I realize this won't be possible with flust-mounted door speakers.
Just another note, I am ripping out the rear speakers intirely....and going for more of a front-stage setup. I find the back ones overpower the people in the back.....and makes convorsation like impossible.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
Old 11-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Components will yield a much better sound.
Check out my audio page for my '91 4Runner.

The previous owner had fabbed up some door pods which allow a deeper speaker magnet to reside in the door for these 6.5" Infinitys.

All that needs to be done is relocate your map pockets.
My tweets are on the upper door sill.
It sounds really good this way.

Also in a 4Runner for good imaging, you do not need rear speakers.
Just my two and the sub fill the whole cabin, and it sounds like the artists are playing on top of the center of my dash.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:11 AM

Thank Corey.
I am probaly going to fab up some similer door pods, but probaly out of fibreglass......for the molded smooth look. I also like your idea of running 4 gauge from the battery. Right after christmas I am putting in a 900w Rockford Fosgate dual channel amp, feeding 2 JL audio 10's. But I want to get my door speakers done before I get the bass in. T
Thanks again
-Mark
(any other input is very welcomed too)
Old 11-13-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do separates in the kickpanels and ditch the coaxials. Maybe think about midbass drivers in the doors. The midbass is less directional than midrange/tweeter frequencies, so if they are a bit off axis it's no biggie.

If you go to the trouble of doing kickpanels and put the same types of drivers in your doors too, you will destroy your imaging.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:32 AM

Hmm.....well that just makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought about mid-bass drivers. Do you have any that you would piticularly reccomend?
Also, you said to put components in the kickpanels? what would the advantage of that be?
I am definitely a noobie (considering i have only had my truck for 2 monthes), so I really appreciate all the information I can get.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, huge generalization, but typically separates are better quality than coax. I haven't looked at coax in ages, so maybe this has changed.

The other advantage is imaging. You can make fine adjustment of the angles of the mid and tweeter if they are separate. To keep the kicks tucked back as far as much, the mid placement may be a slight compromise as far as perfect angle versus how far it hangs out into the footwell. Tweets are more critical.

As far as brands.... it is very subjective. Something you look for in tonal quality might make someone else cringe. My personal fave is Dynaudio. I may give Focale a shot in my next buildup. CDT speakers also interest me although I haven't heard them yet.

Just saw this - 900w on two 10's? Why 10's and not 12's or maybe a single 15? What type of system are you going for? Quality or quantity? I didn't see any mention of amps on the front speakers. What did you have in mind?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

four.runner,

Q-Logic makes custom made kickpanels for our year model 4runners...check out the URL in my signature to see my setup, I have an all Infinity setup with 6.5 Kappa Perfect Components in the QL kick panels and then 4" kappa's in the rear...the sound is amazing.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, Infinity is the way to go for door speakers and I would recommend going with Audiobahn or Infinity on the amps too.

Fink
Old 11-13-2004, 08:15 AM

Ok. First off.....I think your reccomendation for components is a great idea. Have you had any experience with alpine type R's? I got recommended them by a local shop yesterday.
As for the amp/subs. Again, just a recommendation by a local shop. I was originally going to go with 2 12's, but then got dissuaded by the owner of Radioactive (the "local shop"). His main arguement was that I was going to sacrifice sound quality for SPL. Now....at this point (having no experience with systems) I basically wanted decent SQ, but I also wanted people to know that I was rolling up. Hahah....I am 16, I want to show off a BIT. So we made up a package......2 10's, 900 watt RF amp, wires, box, installed for 805 (canadian)
To me this sounded like a decent deal, If I had of priced them all out seperatly, it would have been over a grand.
Buuuut......I do want to know how hard those subs will hit, and I definitely don't want to spend all that money and regret getting 12's.
Any recommendations? I am leery of 15's, but that wariness is completely unfounded....and have no real backing to it. I think I just like the idea of 2 subs. Again, completely unfounded.
thanks for your help

Last edited by four.runner; 11-13-2004 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:26 AM

Wow.......those Q logic K/P sound interesting. That would take all the guess work out of imaging them properly. So that brings me to a couple questions..
How much?
Where?
How soon can I possibly get them in my truck? hahaha

Also, do you have a link for the kickpanels?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

I do know that depending on what kind of 12's you go with you will be sacrificing sound quality, the 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect12.1's that I have you get good, deep, clear bass and the vocals and highs still sound amazing. As for the 2 10's, what kind of subs? The Alpine Type-R's? I have never heard these subs before so I don't know what you should expect. I do know that Infinity and JL will have the clearest bass out there, so if your wanting considerable "bump" yet still be able to listen to all kinds of music without the bass overcoming the vocals then I would recommend going with the those two brands. A sub you may want to look into are the Infinity reference series subs, a buddy of mine has one of those and it is loud, they only run about 80 bucks at your local Circuit City, not sure if you have one of those near you but I'm sure you could find some of those locally. I believe there are three different models, the 1230W the 1220W and the 1232W which is a dual voice coil sub. Here is a link to the complete line of Infinity subs, http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...y.aspx?Cat=SUB

My one recommendation is to NOT jump right into this, take your time and do some research before impulse buying a sub that looks good and that you have HEARD from somebody sounds good. Take your time and try and find a place where you can hear them yourself.

As for the kickpanels:

http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/home/

As for a place to get them, I know Circuit City can get them because that is where I got mine from but you might want to do a Dealer Locator on their site or try and find another dealer online. Hope that helps you man, trust me I'm 17 and I know the feeling of having one of the nicest sound systems at your school or around town. My school has sound competitions every once and awhile and the winner gets to pick which parking spot he/she wants for a month or two depending on what the administration says.

PM me if you want anymore help,

Fink
Old 11-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by four.runner
Buuuut......I do want to know how hard those subs will hit, and I definitely don't want to spend all that money and regret getting 12's.
Any recommendations? I am leery of 15's, but that wariness is completely unfounded....and have no real backing to it. I think I just like the idea of 2 subs. Again, completely unfounded.
thanks for your help
My oldest son use to have 2 10s in a custom box in his Integra.
They were Audibahn Aluma, or something, they had aluminum for the cones.
They hit hard.

I prefer a single 15 as seen on my website, a JL W6.
It hits so hard, and yet it is clear.
I can turn up the volume for it on my deck since the speaker is amped by itself, and I have 3 pre-amps out on the deck.
When the volume alone is turned up for the woofer, it feels like my seats are moving in their tracks

Talk about massage therapy.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:57 AM

I was looking at the JL W3v2, in a sealed box. I was actually looking at the kappa perfect 12.1's awhile ago......I tried them out at Best buy, and they hit damn hard. I was seriously considering them, but then after a bad experience with trying to get a deck from best buy, I got turned off of that store's audio department. I am SO ready to get this whole thing started, but I will heed your "don't rush into anything" warning, thats just good sense.
Thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Throughout my stereo history I've owned 4 different sub setups. I started with Memphis, went to Audiobahn, then to Infinity and ended with JL. Needless to say I have gone back to Infinity not only for my subs but also for all my speakers and my 2 amps. It sounds amazing, Infinity is the way to go.

So basically, I am now an Infinity salesman. J/K, but I do highly recommend them. Lets just say that I don't have to go to physical therapy as much for my knee now as I used to...they hit pretty hard.

Good luck man,

Fink