The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

The rigs gettin a face lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that from S&N or Currie? Are those dimensions the outer tubing or the tubing that actually provides the resistance?

Chris
Old 06-03-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ravencr
So where do I find websites for the companies that make them so I can ask them? I know Currie Enterprises website, but S&N I've never heard of. I would love to see some close-up pics of the system they make, and just custom make it for the correct length and tube diameter I'll need.

Chris
S&N can be found @ http://www.sn-fab.com/ (I just found their site myself today). The swaybar setup is http://www.sn-fab.com/retail.html, almost the very bottom of the page.

ChrisCo
Old 06-04-2004, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisCo
S&N can be found @ http://www.sn-fab.com/ (I just found their site myself today). The swaybar setup is http://www.sn-fab.com/retail.html, almost the very bottom of the page.

ChrisCo
Thanks man! I've emailed them to find out if I can make this work for my rig. Thanks guys for all the help on this.

Chris
Old 06-05-2004, 11:10 PM

Well, before I dug into the front suspension, I wanted to take a break from "links and get some of the odds and ends done

Here is where the recovery gear will be going for easy access, since 9 times out of ten, its the most used gear of your stash

Here are the storage totes for the rest of my stuff (the reason for the 2 added bars besides the rear passenger seat). Boy, I never thought I would have as much room for stuff as I did, still shocked on that one

Old 06-05-2004, 11:14 PM

Got the fuel pump mounted, and the rest of the fuel lines done. I am a big fan of hard lines, but decided to run rubber from the frame rails to the pump to help eliminate noise, figured with hard line it would really transfer the noise right to the frame..

Got the rock lights mounted, and the outside of the frame painted

Old 06-05-2004, 11:21 PM

Got the rear brake lines done, and ran to just forward of the link bar (they will get done once the front links are done ) Also got the brake master in, and lines ran to the line locks..

I also got the vent lines for both the rear diff and t-case and the rear arb line ran

And now its time to dig into the front. Due to clearance, the ram mount will need to be whacked off, the tie rod dropped (was raised pretty good to clear the old POS leafs and needed to be dropped anyways) and will need to build a truss over the front diff so the passenger upper link has a very strong/stable place to sit

And if all goes well, early sunday moring the truss will be done and the diff will be ready to go back under the rig to get the links done (and the steering will come after that)

Last edited by crash; 06-06-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very impressive! Thanks for taking the time to share all of your work with us.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:51 PM

Thanks birdman, hopefully somebody will have the want to do something, and my ideas will spark others to get creative...
Old 06-06-2004, 11:10 PM

Well I got the trussing on the front diff done, hopefully it will be strong enough to hold the passenger upper link

I got the front diff drug back under the rig, and setup so now its link time again

Last edited by crash; 06-06-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Banned

that thing is going to be awesome!
Old 06-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Crash this is awesome, my only complaint is it's been 3 days with no new pics!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by tulsa_90SR5
Crash this is awesome, my only complaint is it's been 3 days with no new pics!
Thanks...

I know, I am a big ol slacker,lol.... Been working on the front links, got them tached and tristed up last night then ripped it apart to build the belly pan, so hopefully here in a couple days I will get some pics up (maybe a couple tonight )
Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 PM

Ok, I finally got the 135o yoke put onto the t-case, and thanks to berne (2 big bronco's) for helping me locate the proper seal..

Old 06-10-2004, 11:21 PM

Here is the forward x-member for the links. The last setup I did, I made this removable(was a auto 4l80e) but I am pretty sure with my manual trans I can sneak it out if need be (It should never have to come out, well, knock on wood).. But, I still have some cross bracing to do to it...

I got the links setup and the mounts on the front diff tacked into place(and its a hella tight fit). I was in a rush to rip it apart so didn't get pics of the front diff twisted up, but will later on.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:26 PM

Ok, there are 2 major things left to build, the steering and the belly pan. I figured I would attack the belly pan first since that was going to be a harder job to tackle. For the most part, its going to be a 3 piece belly pan due to the drop in the x-members to get the link geometry right. Not only is the belly pan going to protect the belly, it will also add more support to the x-members. And being as how its in a slight U shape, its going to be pretty stout..

Here are the tabs that wil let it be boltable

And here is how far I got tonight, the main part is in place and ready to pop a few(11) holes..

Old 06-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Good gravy thats looking great!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Rugby10

BEST. THREAD. EVER. I'm learning so much, and I can't wait to cut my runner to shreds! Then put it back together, hopefully half as well as that thing is put together.

**Thinking**
Must buy Lincoln, then Plasma cutter, then...

Good grief, I'm impressed...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rugby10
BEST. THREAD. EVER. I'm learning so much, and I can't wait to cut my runner to shreds! Then put it back together, hopefully half as well as that thing is put together.

**Thinking**
Must buy Lincoln, then Plasma cutter, then...

Good grief, I'm impressed...
Thanks guys...

Rugby, if you use even one idea, then I have suceeded...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:20 PM

Ok, I finally got the belly pan, and it was a bit of a trick to figure it out, but the end result was what I was hoping for.. Not only will it give me protection but will help to reinforce the x-members the links attach to... The belly pan is held on by carriage bolts. I was pondering some way to hold it in place without having to counter sink bolts into it so they were not hanging down, waiting to be whacked/bent and broken off. I was origionally going to have to spend some time filing the holes square, but figured out an easier way. Basically measured corner to corner on the square portion of the bolt, drilled the hole to that, and put a small tack weld on the edge of the hole so the bolt wouldn't turn, worked out pretty slick...

So this morning I drug the front out, and reworking the ram and getting the link mounts welded on, so hopefully in a couple of evenings the front will be done, I think I am seeing the end of the tunnel....
Old 06-14-2004, 01:52 AM

Did you find grade 8 carriage bolts or just standard grade carriage bolts, if there is such a thing even?

Chris

P.S. You stole my idea, and I'm glad to see it work out so well.

Quick Reply: The rigs gettin a face lift