The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Frame Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame Repair

Hey folks,

I am looking for any and all input on frame repair. I've got an 89 that has some small rusty spots in the frame that need simple cut out and patch welding. Just this weekend I pulled the front of the right rear leaf hanger out of the frame near a weak spot (nice 40 degree climb with big rocks). I am not too worried about that because I am pretty sure that can be realigned and welded.

So, why am I writing the email here? I am looking for input on upgrades if I am going to get this repair done. If I have her opened up, I might as well get some new stuff. Stuff I might want to consider upgrading to. A better hanger, longer springs etc. OK, I know some of this stuff already but I am trying to root out some knowledge that I may not have. Can't know everything, right?

Anyway, thanks for reading this and give me a holler back if you have input.

Last edited by Trail_Banger; 12-15-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

It helps if you actually post something.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Try changing the font color. it only showed up when I highlighted the text
Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by saitotiktmdog
It helps if you actually post something.
Thanks there, slick but it seems that even if I choose a black font color (or any other color), it appears to not to display the right color. It seems to chose the color of the background, therefore, you can't see the text unless you highlight it "empty" box with your cursor. Try that and I'll keep messing with the font color.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

I tried that and read your post. Sorry about the harsh first post. anyways there are a couple of options. One option is to get a portable sand blaster from like a harbor freight and take the bed off and use that to sand blast the rust off. Then get some rust converter or a really good rust prevenative primer and either spray or paint the frame with it. Por 15 is good but pricy. The other option is to get a wire brush for a drill and some sanding sponges and do it that way. I have done it both ways and it holds up ok for a couple of years. I live in the rust belt though so it always comes back.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
Hey folks,

I am looking for any and all input on frame repair. I've got an 89 that has some small rusty spots in the frame that need simple cut out and patch welding. Just this weekend I pulled the front of the right rear leaf hanger out of the frame near a weak spot (nice 40 degree climb with big rocks). I am not too worried about that because I am pretty sure that can be realigned and welded.

So, why am I writing the email here? I am looking for input on upgrades if I am going to get this repair done. If I have her opened up, I might as well get some new stuff. Stuff I might want to consider upgrading to. A better hanger, longer springs etc. OK, I know some of this stuff already but I am trying to root out some knowledge that I may not have. Can't know everything, right?

Anyway, thanks for reading this and give me a holler back if you have input.

I'll help ya out
Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would look at either of these:

a newer donor frame and transfer stuff over

Or a new truck

Frame repairs suck and just when you find one hole you often find more.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:37 PM

make sure you know what your doing befor you start welding on your frame or ull end up with something alot weaker than what u started with
Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 AM

Frame Repair Pics

Hey everyone,

Just to follow up, I got my truck back yesterday and it looks great. These guys did a great job on fixing all my frame weak spots and where the leaf spring pulled away from the frame.

Check out the pics...
Attached Thumbnails Frame Repair-repair.jpg   Frame Repair-frame-close-90-degrees-sm.jpg   Frame Repair-frame-close-angle-sm.jpg