The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Fitting 39.5" Iroks under an 84 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colsoncj
Care to elaborate?
Here are a couple picures of what I was talking about. It took a while to figure out how to route the wires without cutting them. The computer is at an angle because that was all slack I could get out of the wires.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the pics! also, seems you have an internal cage unlike what ive seen before... the routing through the dash.. could you take some pics of it and send them to colsoncj@gmail.com? A cage is next on my list, right after a front winch bumper.

And sorry about the hijack!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Tubbing the firewall is MUCH easier if you use rosette welds...less welding, less warpage, much neater.

Covered the seams with some seam sealer, some black spray paint and some undercoating and it looks factory.

http://www.wabfab.org/projects/1985/body/ft/ft.htm

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Tubbing the firewall is MUCH easier if you use rosette welds...less welding, less warpage, much neater.
Oh well, its done and nobody will even notice the welds once the seam sealer goes on.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Thanks for the pics! also, seems you have an internal cage unlike what ive seen before... the routing through the dash.. could you take some pics of it and send them to colsoncj@gmail.com? A cage is next on my list, right after a front winch bumper.

And sorry about the hijack!
There are a bunch of pictures here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...thread-134399/
Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 PM

Any more progress?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Any more progress?
I wish My month of April is pretty much booked up every weekend (my daughter's 3rd B-day, landscaping our backyard, etc...). It's looking like maybe the last weekend of April and the first part of May I might actually be able to get in the garage and some work done.

I've got a pretty big list of stuff I need to do to get it back up and running and another large list of stuff I wanted to get done this winter. I really, really need some bumpers. I've got the tubing bender and some ideas, I just need to get some tube in the garage and start bending.

I also really want a cage since I plan on taking my daughter along on the milder trails.

It will be ready for this summer and a trip through BV Carnage with you. And Indy is super close for me so whenever you're ready, we'll run that as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:43 AM

Volcom, are we going to get any snow bashing in this year?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
Volcom, are we going to get any snow bashing in this year?
I seriously doubt it unless the snow holds out on Rollins Pass until early May. Damn, this winter seriously just slipped by
Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
I seriously doubt it unless the snow holds out on Rollins Pass until early May. Damn, this winter seriously just slipped by
Last year it did.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 PM

There will be snow bashing up here until June or July. It has been snowing all day and I really have a feeling that the snow is going to stick around longer than usual. I still have 4'-5' in front of my house (not including the plow piles).
Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
I wish My month of April is pretty much booked up every weekend (my daughter's 3rd B-day, landscaping our backyard, etc...). It's looking like maybe the last weekend of April and the first part of May I might actually be able to get in the garage and some work done.

I've got a pretty big list of stuff I need to do to get it back up and running and another large list of stuff I wanted to get done this winter. I really, really need some bumpers. I've got the tubing bender and some ideas, I just need to get some tube in the garage and start bending.

I also really want a cage since I plan on taking my daughter along on the milder trails.

It will be ready for this summer and a trip through BV Carnage with you. And Indy is super close for me so whenever you're ready, we'll run that as well.
It's better to take your time and do it right than to rush through it and have to re-work it in the future. A cage is VERY important, you will roll the truck one day and it will be when you least expect it. I've had this truck on it's side and roof a few times, but the hardest roll this truck has seen was on Wheeler Lake (not a very hard trail). I was breaking trail in spring (lot's of snow), was on top of a 10' foot snow bank when the whole thing broke apart and I was on my lid I was okay but the truck took a pretty hard hit.

I'm not giving you a hard time, but it's a lot easier to build a cage in a cab that's not all smashed up Once you start bending tube everything just starts flowing together (if that make's sense).

I'm really looking forward to getting rowdy on BV Carnage and running Indy for the first time, I'm sure the truck will leave it's mark (Paint + Rocks = )
Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM

i like it a ton!! i like how low you are trying to keep it. any updates?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
i like it a ton!! i like how low you are trying to keep it. any updates?
Thanks. I like it also. It's got a 4" TG lift (ends up being about 5" of total lift) and that's it. I know if it was 4 linked, I could get it lower with the same tire size but that's way out of my league. Maybe later when I switch to 1 tons (years away).

No updates on it. Maybe this weekend
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM

I think there should be a time limit on a build thread......
Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I think there should be a time limit on a build thread......
I agree It might be done next summer at the rate I'm moving.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Big thanks to my brother and Jeff (CuBuff4Runner) for the help on Saturday. We got quite a bit done and finally got to mount all 4 tires and actually take it for a drive.

Sorry for the pictures, I had to turn the lightening way up to see the contrast between the tires and trucks.

Side by side with CuBuff4Runner's 96 4Runner (SAS'ed on 36" Iroks)

Lower down to see the tire size difference

Side shot of the show truck minus the tail gate. lower quarter panel, and turn signal

There are quite a few differences in our trucks even though they sit almost as tall as each other. Notice the rear shackle height difference (frame on the 84 stays high where the 96 dips down after the wheel)

Headlights are almost the same height but the top of the cab is higher on the 84 by a couple of inches.

13" of clearance under the front diff on the 84

Waggy D44 vs Toyota axle width. D44 wins.

Nice collection of colors on this side

Driver's side inner 16 ga.tub. It's fully welded. Just needs some seal seal and Hurculiner on it to make it water-proof inside.

I still have some welding on this side. We really wanted to get it out for a test drive so I'll finish up the welding at a later day.

Driver's side inner. I think the new tubs came out really well. They are strong also. I could stand on them on the inside and no flex at all.

CuBuff's new beadlock wheels. He's got such a badass 3rd Gen!

He's really to rock this summer!!

Driving impressions - I knew it was going to be slow. Let's put it this way, I wasn't let down It's pretty slow. I don't think I'll ever use 5th gear. 4th gear was pretty much just holding speed, no accleration at all in 4th. 3rd gear and 4K rpm (I'm guessing) was around 55 mph. The truck drove great with these tires (not even balanced yet). Ride was nice and smooth and the brakes seemed to slow it down good enough.

I'm still glad I chose the 40's rather than 35-37's. I would have still just as much work making them fit in the rear quarterpanel.

Next up, seam seal and undercoat / hurculine the rear tubs and trim the front fenders. I also need to work on my hydro assist mounts and fab up some new bumpstops.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Sweet job man, wish i had the gusto to sawzall as i pleased...
Old 05-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

wow! nice job
Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by agusgus3
Sweet job man, wish i had the gusto to sawzall as i pleased...
First cut is always the hardest It gets easier when you end up damaging the entire driver side and you're just cutting out damage

Originally Posted by YeloSub7
wow! nice job
Thanks

Quick Reply: Fitting 39.5" Iroks under an 84 4Runner