The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

DIY soft top finally under way!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, thanks!
I guess what I am unsure about the most in regards to the roof rack is how it is mounted THROUGH the canvas to the inner frame. I mean, I can see that there may be some holes going through the fabric and a metal plate on either side sandwiching the canvas in between. But what happens when it's real hot out and the canvas expands, thus making the top sag in the middle. Then you have to re-tension the top to bring it taught. That's all good, but when you tention the top more, won't that move the holes? does that question make sense? Maybe I'm just worrying too much and should just build it. I dunno. Is that what Can-Back does, just have a hole or holes in the canvas allowing bolts to go through?

by the way, those are good pictures. I've done alot of searching for pictures of tops for this project as I have never seen a Can-Back in person and I've never come across those. Good job!

Last edited by marty4runner; 03-04-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks Marty, It was no problem. I probobly just got lucky.

As far as the anwser to your question, I have to say i'm not sure. I can say that I don't think you're worrying to much. I wouldn;t so worried about that heat though as the rain. If the heat does move those hold than it seems like it compromise its watertightness, which to me is very important.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 AM

Well, I figured that if the outer mounting plate were lined with rubber or something that plus just the pressure of the holes being sandwiched between the two plates would keep things dry inside.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Sorry it's taking so long folks. We have been having troube cooridinating schedules. I'm going out of town until Tuesday, but it's spring break and I may be able to get it completed over the rest of the week. Wait, but I have to put in my new head and timing chain, too. Oh well, we'll see...
stay tuned!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 AM

Any updates? I am really curious about your setup and top construction.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Yea...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 PM

I'd like to see the finished product when you get there. I really want a can-back but am hardpressed to justify shelling out all that cash...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I'd like to see the finished product when you get there. I really want a can-back but am hardpressed to justify shelling out all that cash...
My thoughts exactly, I just called Canback to get some pricing, looks like 1,700 for the whole deal with roof rack bars. I can't believe it can't be done much cheaper. I didn't pay that for my 4runner!

Anybody have thoughts as to whether or not you could use a frame of this style with the Kayline top?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 AM

it's been a while...sorry

Well here it goes...this is what I've got so far. I've been having a heck of a time getting together with my g-friend's mom and I've been lazy. So far I have the upper canopy completed. If you notice the top pulls downward near the rear of the cab. I will have to relocate three tension straps to fix that, no big deal. I also would like that hangy downy part in the back go down so far. I think it looks kinda silly like that. I will also be adding some straps that tension the top left to right as rain tends to puddle up in a couple of spots (not bad, though). I love the way it is now and was considering leaving it like that, but I need to be able to close myself out of the elements sometimes. Plus I am going for as close to a Can-Back as possible just to show it can be done for under $400, let alone $1500+. If I had known how to sew in the first place and was not so lazy, this project would only take a couple of days, so if anyone wants to try this at home, don't be discouraged. It's pretty easy. So...here go the pictures. I am leaving for the summer to Mexico in June so the WHOLE top will be definately done by then, hopefully sooner. Also, check out my new black paint job. I love it. I got too many salutes with the olive drab. Cheers!

Name:  canopy4.jpg
Views: 2951
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  canopy3.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  canopy2.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  canopy1.jpg
Views: 4371
Size:  38.1 KB
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome man, that looks really good.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, work the bugs out and make me one.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM

I just may consider making 'em. After it's all done, the next one would be way easier since all the measurements would be done. It's still alot of labor, though. I may sell just a couple for fun because I think in order to get my labor's worth for a bunch, I'd have to charge as much as Can-Back and I don't think that's a fair price to pay for a soft top. We'll see, though....

I think the right thing to do would be to give everyone all the meausrements and they can make their own (or have it made). I would be tickled pink to see a few Yotatechers rollin around with marty4runner soft tops.

Last edited by marty4runner; 04-26-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM

I know I've requested this before, but I need more detail: How EXACTLY do the Can-Back roof racks mount to the frame through the canvas top? Maybe if someone has pictures of their roof rack equiped Can-Back without the rack on it would help. How does the top tension with something solid mounted through it? Know what I mean?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Try finding an upholstery guy in your area that would talk to you a bit. Maybe they would give you some tips. Maybe a loop with a super duty zipper?
Jim
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM

I've never done this before, but....BUMP!

ahhh, that feels good...
Old 05-20-2007, 09:34 PM

are you going to fully enclose it. could you make one of these soft tops water proof?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 AM

What did you use for the support pipes? Im about to do something like this for my truck. I was thinking 1/2 inch conduit(however you spell it) but im not sure about welding it or if it will support it. Im looking for something easy to bend and that can be welded. The other idea is keep it cheap. Any advice you could give before i get to work later today would be great. Top is looking great. I like the fame work
Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 AM

Back to work on the top

Well I finally got back to work on my soft top (yes I have been riding open air rain or shine for over a year now). I was revising the strap system on the canopy that is done so far (see previous pictures) because the straps are in the wrong place (once again, see previous pictures where the top dimples in near the fron). Well, I made it worse. If anyone has a Can back, could they please send me a picture or two of where the main tension straps attach to the top of the soft top. It seems like no matter where I put them, they are going to make "dimples". I don't want the dimples because they are not only ugly, but tend to gather puddles in the rain. Thank you to anyone who can help. I'll post pictures as progress goes on...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 AM

I just saw the last couple of replies. Sorry, I haven't checked this in a long time. The support bars are made from 3/4" round bar stock. I wanted to use pipe (lighter and a little cheaper), but I only have a crappy bender that seems to only succesfully bend solid stuff. It was still pretty cheap, though. I would not recommend conduit.

Yes I am going to enclose the whole thing. The sides and back will come unsnapped and roll up a la military troop carrier. I am mostly basing it on a Can Back soft top. There will be windows all around and eventually and roof racks. Hopefully this thing will finally be done within the next month at the most. It's getting a little chilly at night and my heater ain't so good.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 AM

bump...I really need a hand here
does anyone know where I can find those pictures?

Quick Reply: DIY soft top finally under way!