The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

3rd gen FULL roof chop

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all whove participated so far! I was gonna go out and start measuring, marking and *gasp* cutting this week, but we got a pretty nasty cold snap up here in NH, so it looks like that might take a back seat till the weather turns warmer.

In the meantime, Ill post up some pics that I have floating around. Im also gonna get in there and start clearing the inside out and taking off the headliner and plastics so that as soon as the weather is right, I can hit the ground running.

Ill keep the pics coming as long as y'all keep the posts and ideas flowing!

(pics to be posted soon)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This sounds pretty interesting!! subscribed. It be fun to follow this instead of the lame old solid axle swap, or engine swap threads. After a couple dozen, they get kinda boring>...
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Looking forward to watching this
Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM

4 seater F-Toy chassis and just swap all your drivetrain over?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM

I scoured through my desktop, laptop and even my phone to find the pictures I had taken of my runner around this time last year to no avail. Im gonna take a second look through tonight, maybe I missed something, but if not, Ill just throw up some new ones. Wont be any poser shots tho

Volcom, that is probably THE coolest 4runner I have ever seen in my life and the fact that the power wheels matches it just makes it all that much better haha!! Do you have a build thread for it, I would love to see whats been dumped into it!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by carignad
Volcom, that is probably THE coolest 4runner I have ever seen in my life and the fact that the power wheels matches it just makes it all that much better haha!! Do you have a build thread for it, I would love to see whats been dumped into it!
Search for "Morning Log" that is the nickname for his runner.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by carignad
Yeah, here's the latest picture of it with new paint!!

And the power wheel doesn't match the 4Runner, the 4Runner was painted to match the Barbie power wheel :bowd own:

Just kidding bro, it's orange

Build Thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...thread-164224/

Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM

BAHAHAHAHA jesus, once I saw the large image it was immediately apparent that it was a MS Paint job! Still pretty friggin sweet
Old 01-26-2012, 03:30 PM

While I sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the weather to warm up to get into this chop full swing, Ive decided to do a few of the easier/simpler mods that are fairly common. I did up the ISR mod, Im halfway thru the deckplate mod and im working up a satoshi mod for my grill.
I got into an accident a few months back and as such, my grill was a little busted up. Here is a picture of what it looked like coming off the truck. All the mounting brackets are either broken or missing, the toyota symbol is seperated from most of the other plastic and there is a break in the side.

Since im a cheap bastard, I thought to myself "this seems like it should be simple enough, a cut here, a little bondo there. No problem!" Didnt turn out quite that way lol! I chopped out the center plastics and was left with this:

the small tabs holding the bottom onto the grill cracked and broke off, leaving me with a 3 large pieces. So I went to the store, got a bondo and fiber glass kit and got to work. My first bit was easy enough and for my first time using it, i didnt think it came out too horrible:

The lower half, on the other hand....looks like s**t! The area was way to small and i had no way of holding the grill steady while it set, so it just turned into a big sticky mess

So I decided to just chuck the bottom edge and make one of my own. I got a piece of aluminum angle, cut it to size, notched the ends so they would slide nicely behind the grill plastic and attached them with some self tapping sheet metal screws

heres the notch:

The fit:

And the finished product:

I placed it on the front of the truck to see how it all looks and for fit, and so far everything is turning out great!

and now im at the point where I need to engineer up some side fins for the grill since the 99-02 had a different grill design, so Ive got some shims laid on for some custom bondo work when I get home from work

Ive got some older style 4runner "Toyota" badges, to include the "V6" badge in the mail. Hopefully Ill have all the work done by the time they come in so I can just bolt em up and throw on the grill!

Let me know what you guys think! Also, I was thinking about putting the sheet metal screws around the whole front of the grill, with the head painted black like the ones holding on the aluminum base plate. Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM

got everything finished up and did a mock up on the truck and I think it came out pretty good!

My first time using bondo

Heres the other side

Picture of it all bondo'ed up

Prepped and ready to paint

Two coats of flat black

all the tape removed and the finished paint

I got the mesh painted upp and zip tied it to the fram

Heres all the pieces together and waiting for the badges!

Got the badges in today, screwed em onto the mesh and mocked it up onto the truck

What do y'all think?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM

I think you need a new headlight.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Last edited by carignad; 01-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM

You should see the fender!!!

and the car I hit

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Looks good man, I also like the idea about putting the screws all the way around. It'll look like a set of bead lock rims.

Keep it comin'
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Grille looks good. That ain't much for damage. Made it sound totaled. Wish my damage was more like that then what I do have. Pics of mine are on my thread