The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

12 feet of steel and a reese receiver

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 feet of steel and a reese receiver

I have decided to build my own replacement rear bumper after lurking and watching others have a great time being creative. In particular R.DesJardin, Wabbit and Box Rocket have inspired me with their designs (among others). That is not to say that I have copied any of their designs. I like simplicity and utility so I decided to use a simple design that most of our fellow Toyota fans could do with a few tools. I want a strong bumper with a receiver that does not hang below. I did not want a standard plate bumper or a tube bumper. This is my first posted project. I do not have thin skin so feel free to comment.

Metal:

12 feet of 2x6 11 guage steel.
5 feet of 2 inch 3/16 plate.
12 inch Reese receiver
Hammer, Drill and bits.

Tools:

Dewalt chop saw
Dewalt 4.5 inch grinder
Bench grinder
Torch
Hobart 140 Mig welder
Miller Bobcat (for the heavy lifting) for deep penetration welds
Clamps and vise
Stick and flux core wire
Soap stone
Tape measure

First I cut 2 pieces at 62.5 inches

11 guage is pretty stout

Now to start making a few cuts to shape the bumper with the torch. A steady hand and bracing are required.

The other side.

Determining the receiver location. Humm, 31 and change sounds about right. just enough material below to allow strength. Yep you can see the top plate lined up also.

Man, this cut was ugly but it will be covered up.

A couple of pieces cut from the remaining 2 feet of steel and a mock up of the bumper at this stage.

Another couple of pieces cut for the ends which will be 4 inches from top to bottom and allow for a later addition of wrap around side armor. These lights are set on to see if I like them but if I use lights in the bumper they will be white back up lights probably. Advise here if you like lights in the bumper.

Another view of the mock up with lights. Nothing is tacked yet becasue I will have to drill holes for wiring the lights if I use them and for the license plate light. By the way, the plate will go just to the right of the receiver.

My welding trailer.

Work area.

Gotta do some other projects now for a bit. Gates to keep my neighbor's cows out of the yard. More to come.

Mike
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Looks nice.

But I had no idea of what kind size of steel you were using. Maybe it was a typo??

Then it could be a local thing to call 3/16" flat stock plate

your 11 gauge 2"x6"x144" tube

Other then that great job
Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 PM

the 2x6 is .125.

the plate is basically a 2 inch wide piece of flat steel, 3/16 thick, that is factory cut at 2 inches and 5 feet long. My steel place has these pieces all the way up to 1/2 inch thick that are from 2 inches wide to about 12 inches wide. I picked this up is for filling the holes from the angle cuts. I realize it is slightly thicker than the tubing. It will weld in nicely. I will get to it in a day or two.

Mike
Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 AM

I like it! Can't wait to it mounted, I need to build bumpers for mine too
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks good. Are you going to try to fab up the brackets that tie into the frame yourself, or order them from a supplier?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 PM

yep, i've been thinking about the mounting fab situation. I am glad you asked. the frame ends are weak looking and the bumper mounts are def poor. I did not know that there are after market suppliers. Is there a site that I can look at that shows good pics of a design? Anyway, I intend to design and fab mounts and maybe try boxing the frame. Your thoughts?

I intend to get going again on it on the weekend. I stoped because I had some other priorities and I can't decide if I want back up lights in it or not.

mike

Last edited by MGTexas; 11-13-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
4crawler has stuff for first gen 4runners but he might have what you want:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RearBumper.shtml

Great work!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 AM

I don't know where I've seen the brackets, but I know many suppliers sell them. You shouldn't need to box the frame, any force is going to be 90% rearward, and even beefy brackets will give well before the frame will in my experience.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Good info I am building a rear bumper
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
4crawler has stuff for first gen 4runners but he might have what you want:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RearBumper.shtml

Great work!

Thanks for the link. the mounts are interesting. I see the utility value in them and it would be easy to do something like them. In fact I believe that I will have to come up with a two piece system.

Do you have any thoughts on back up lights in the bumper? Maybe 4 inch round LED type. Initially I wanted them but I am kind of losing interest in them now.

Mike
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jbtvt
I don't know where I've seen the brackets, but I know many suppliers sell them. You shouldn't need to box the frame, any force is going to be 90% rearward, and even beefy brackets will give well before the frame will in my experience.
Sorry for a second post! I could not figure out how to quote both of you at once. I think you are probably right. I tend to over engineer things. Have you run a receiver mounted winch on the rear or seen it done? I have not had experience with that and am designing with the intent of being strong enough to handle that.

I went out ot the shop this evening and played with it a bit but have not tacked yet. My intent is to hop to on Saturday.

Mike
Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 PM

The more I think about it I would skip the lights and keep it clean. Maybe some D rings instead, equally spaced where it mounts to the frame?

Really digging the look.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Going to be one heavy bumper.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Love the voting day sale idea, Wabbit. That's my kinda ideology.

Originally Posted by MGTexas
Sorry for a second post! I could not figure out how to quote both of you at once. I think you are probably right. I tend to over engineer things. Have you run a receiver mounted winch on the rear or seen it done? I have not had experience with that and am designing with the intent of being strong enough to handle that.

I went out ot the shop this evening and played with it a bit but have not tacked yet. My intent is to hop to on Saturday.

Mike
Only in pictures, but I think that what causes more strain and damage is the sudden jerk of tugging someone out of the mud. If you get towing rated brackets or base your design on them, a steady even force like a winch shouldn't break anything unless you're putting a 20k lb PTO back there. And like I say, the 2" steel hitch bar on my 88 is bowed and the brackets kinked from being jerked, but my frame is still fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM

I had a good day working on this project. Got all tacked up, then welded up, partially cleaned up. It is not finished but it is starting to look like the bumper I want.

Started with tacking it up.

Now some long beads.

This is the side that is up against the truck.

Now for the other side.

Now to set it upright.

The plate will be like this with a light from above.

I don't like the license plate situation. Anyway, I did a bit more after this but forgot to take pics. I will get to them in the next couple of days. Speed and heat was good but I got a lot of splatter. Used the mig on this so far. I also will support the receiver on the inside with a cool short gusset that I thought of. More to come.

Mike
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM

wow!

Looking great

Last edited by dropzone; 11-17-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
what are your plans for spring upgrades?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Looks good. Don't forget to pull that receiver out enough to drop a trailer onto the ball before you weld the it!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
what are your plans for spring upgrades?

I do need some replacements now due to the age and sag that my truck has developed. Probably a 5 pack. I have an AAL already. I assume you ask with regard to the weight. I will give you all a final weight as soon as I can. I am thinking 80lbs or so. I can easily lift it. Do you believe this is too heavy? The rake on my truck is about 1.5 inches before this bumper. Kinda hoping it levels out.

Mike
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM

jbtvt, excellent advice. Thanks.

Mike

Quick Reply: 12 feet of steel and a reese receiver