Florida Florida Chapter

New to forum and looking for suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2024 | 11:28 AM

New to forum and looking for suggestion

Hello Florida! I inherited my dads 1986 4wd Std Pickup and now that the estate is completed I have time to focus on it. It was his daily driver (construction) and he wasn't very mechanical so its in rough shape but was drivable until recently. I'm looking for a person or shop who has a passion for these older trucks I can take it to so they can tell me what to focus on 1st to ensure its safe while work progresses. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirt but I need to know what to do. Once I figure out why 1st gear doesn't seem to completely engage, I'm willing to travel.
Any suggestions, links to similar threads, or whatever would be greatly appreciate. I get random notes on the truck from people wanting to buy it but admittedly I have an attachment to the truck since driving it home the day we bought it in 1987 so I'm not sure I would want to sell and I wouldn't even know what to price it out for. Pics are in my profile (if I did it right) as I am knew to forums in general.

Old 10-14-2024 | 01:12 PM

Welcome, I’ll just put it out there, instead of asking for links to threads it’s easier on you (and us) to get searching. I don’t mean that in a jerky way either this forum has soooooo much and so many threads it’s hard to just direct you to one. So to get ya started I would go to search, go to advanced and search titles only, search truck not going in first gear, don’t get results word it different. You may even get results on a 91 pickup but it may narrow the reason down for you. Once you learn navigating the info is endless!!!! Then I would just start a build thread to document your progress then other members can follow and suggest etc.

The truck does look solid though, interior looks rough but that’s the fun part looks considerably rust free on the bed which is good for your year!!

Can’t help you on a shop, I’m sure we have some members that can point you at one in your area

Last edited by Discombobulated; 10-14-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2024 | 01:23 PM

Thank you

I appreciate the direction and I took it the way you intended. I did a few searches already but the results were very broad. I'll work on refining them as I go to drill down t the detail I need.

Thanks again for the response and suggestions. Its a least a direction to start with.
Old 10-14-2024 | 01:42 PM

I’m always reluctant to tell people to search cause it feels jerky but we have a very friendly bunch of users on this forum and you’ll never be treated wrong. And this doesn’t mean members won’t respond to your first gear question at all, I’m just impatient personally and I can usually find it quicker than refreshing my thread
Old 10-14-2024 | 08:05 PM

I think that’s a cool truck and easily improved upon with some elbow grease. One of the reasons you may be having difficulty with the trans is the hydraulic clutch master/slave system. It could simply be low on fluid or leaking. The clutch master and slave commonly need to be replaced. I’d start by checking the fluid level and action at the slave cyl while someone pushes the clutch for you.
Old 10-15-2024 | 02:19 PM

Thank you Melrose 4r. I'll start there. Your resto-mod is sweet! My goal is to make my truck into a weekend beach vehicle at some point.
Thanks again and have a great evening.