North Carolina North Carolina Chapter

Hey hyperlite!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey hyperlite!

How do you do the 2LO mod? Is there anything bad about it? How do you put it in 2LO? Would you just put it in 4lo and flip a switch or something? I'm pretty confused but interested at the same time. Bring on the info!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

i wanna get the twin tcase shifter from marlin crawler, its under the t-case upgrades section. it allows you to go 2wd-low since the 2wd-4wd and low-high gear range shifters are really two separate actions in the tcase.

" We are all familiar with the typical J-pattern of a Toyota 4WD transfercase. The options include 2WD-High, 4WD-High, Neutral, and 4WD-Low. What you might not know is that these patterns are controlled by two seperate shift rails that operate both 2WD/4WD and High/Neutral/Low respectfully. With Marlin Crawler's new Twin Stick Shifter, we can now separate these patterns and offer the user a 2WD-Low range selection. Since both rails are now independent of each other, they can be moved in any pattern desired. 2WD-High/Netural/Low and 4WD-High/Netural/Low. When used with a Marlin Crawler dual transfercase, you now have the option of 2WD-Double Low range. Marlin Crawler's new Twin Stick Shifter does just this and is very simple and innovative at the same time."

of course the list of things i WANT are endless

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 09-10-2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 AM

for 3rd gen its push button but when in low 4wd its auto engaged.
all you do is unplug a plug going into the transfere case and then tape it up -- to keep all that ˟˟˟˟˟ out(but jon's slack and hasnt done that yet)
not sure where he found that mod -- probally on the tech page

if you cant find the info reply and i'll ask him to take a pic then post -- as you can tell he hasnt been infront of a computer with internet access for a couple of weeks
Old 09-11-2003, 12:00 PM

Yeh i looked but couldnt find it. So you say all i do is push a button? Im guessing Id have to wire this button in myself.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Sam,

Jon showed me te 2WD low mod while we were there. I was really interested and had him show me that day befre we hit the trails. It's just this little blue plug on the side of the t-case, the drivers side that is. I'm too lazy to go out and do that mod either right now so I have no personl experiance, but from what Jon showed me, it's just a matter of unpluging that wire, andthen our 2WD High becomes a low rang. I don't remember him saying anything about a button or any extra wiring.

The only issue is that Jon has an auto and you and I both are 5spd. I'm not sure if that changes much, also Jon is 97, and I'm a 96 and they are closer alike, I'm not sure if 99's share the same set-u. But just go take a look under your Runner and look for that blu quick connect. Hoepfully Jon will chime in here soon and sed some more light on things.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:17 AM

on the 3rd gen to go into 4hi all you do is push the 4wd button -- the shifter is already in hi -- when you put the t-case shifter into low the 4wd automatically engages -- even if you dont push the button

this mod lets you put the shifter into low without the auto 4wd engaging.

on the 2nd gen we dont have this option (unless you grind out the gate -- possibly?? not sure how but pretty sure it would work) on the t-case shifter we have 2hi/N/4hi/4lo instead of Hi/N/Lo with the push button 4wd.

hope this helps & i'll have jon post a link to where he found the info -- probally saturday if not next week -- we have to go to a furnal in pittsburg on mon
Old 09-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Matt on 3rd gens with the 5spd, we don't have the little button on the side of he t-case shifter like the autos. Our shifters have to be moved down into each gear range, In a J pattern, the autos have the button optn, there is no option like that for the 5spds. That makes me wonder if there is no wy toget 2wd low for us. I'm gona go check things out, I'm curious.

Last edited by Stump1883; 09-13-2003 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

That makes me wonder if there is no wy toget 2wd low for us.
read my post. you probably have the same tcase setup as me, all we need for 2wd low is a special shifter, the tcase is already set up for it
Old 09-19-2003, 11:36 AM

Sorry for the late response guys
For this mod disconect the blue plug on the drivers side and tape off both sides.

use your t-case shifter to switch between hi and lo range. The button on the shifter is now your 4wd button

to activate 4wd push the 4wd button in

to activate 2wd turn the 4wd button off

The difference is that now when you shift the t case lever into lo you are still in 2wd. There is no indicater for lo and hi so check it before driving down the road.