Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to pep up suspension of 86 runner...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SteveO
Yup, you don't have to remove any of the existing brackets, just weld on some new ones.
yeah, with the chevies, he will have plenty of cash to pay someone to do it if he wants. i was just presenting options

Indeed, the Chevy springs will flex more than the downey ones, but did you read what LevZepplin stated about daily driver?
since when does daily driver = mall cruiser?? lots of off road vehicles are daily driven, including my own

yes, I have personally used Downey springs, and I know for a fact that they ride better than an AAL insert.
you have used this specific model of downey leaf springs? or are you generalizing all of downeys suspension products?
I currently have an '87 4Runner that has an AAL in the back. There is no flex at all in this spring pack with the AAL. This '87 4Runner is a daily driver, and I plan on making the quickest, easiest, most economical transistion to new springs with a slight lift; Downey 2" springs.
cross apply what i said about the different AAL's. the short thick ones suck, but the long thin ones are great. a search on 4x4wire will yield a lot of results with people extremely happy with thier rancho and skyjacker long AAL's. they arent all created equal.

Again, read LevZepplin's original statement about rear springs. He didn't state anything about rock crawling, nor major lift, nor serious flex. Thus, scratch off the Chevy super flex springs. What he did state is daily driver, simple fix, no added stress....

again, it doesn't have to be that difficult.
he didnt state anything about NOT wheeling his 4runner either. im not trying to make it difficult, im just giving the guy cheaper options and IMO much better ones at that.

Last edited by Napoleon047; 02-11-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 PM

thank you guys for your help, while im still undecided about what to do, i was wondering if the chevies springs will lift it or just bring it back to its original height. aslo, where do i buy the chevy springs and where could i get them welded on? thanks again -aaron
Old 02-11-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by LevZeppelin
thank you guys for your help, while im still undecided about what to do, i was wondering if the chevies springs will lift it or just bring it back to its original height. aslo, where do i buy the chevy springs and where could i get them welded on? thanks again -aaron
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=chevy+FAQ

the above link will give you all the info you need.

you can get the springs from any junkyard pretty much, these trucks are dime a dozen

it will give you about 1" higher in the rear, which will be better if you decide to haul something.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:41 PM

i think all this advising to swap to the chevy springs isn't very good, i'm not gonna bash them because i have them on my truck, but some of the information is wrong. although the springs do ride better than stock they are not that amazing... in addition it will be very hard to find them for $25... your also stating that this will only raise him 1"... if hes hitting the bumpstops now im pretty sure his rear springs are damn near flat.. just mearly replacing them with stock will probably lift him 1" to 2"... adding the chevy could lift him 2-3" over stock (4"-5" total)... i know i got quite a bit of lift out of my chevy springs and the truck is gonna look stupid if you don't have some way to level out the front.. again if his truck is lifted that much it's nto gonna matter how much travel his springs have because his stock shocks are gonna be bottoming out way before the springs use up all their travel... all in all i'd just try and find some replacement stock ones or maybe +1 or 2"... alot better for for someone who just wants to level out there truck and make it ride better

kelly
Old 02-26-2004, 09:46 PM

to

with only chevy swap

+ rears up front
Old 02-26-2004, 10:07 PM

well, i see you are still using the overload leaves, get rid of that and thats nearly .5"

do you have any close up pics of the spring hangers you used? how about the rear shackle?

i've seen 4runners that sit damn near level with chevy rears and the front untouched, by tweaking the shackle length(s) and w/o the overloads
Old 02-26-2004, 11:20 PM

i wouldnt not suggest removing the overload leaves as then the leaves will began to sag very quickly. in addition they are almost too soft this way and wouldnt provide the best road handling manners imo... i was running a dual shackle setup with one shackle resting on the frame and the other almost vertical at this time, however i highly advise against running a dual shackle on the street anymore because the unfolding of it could be very dangerous.... if a single longer shackle is used you can achieve a much better shackle angle and maintain the same amount of lift.. i have more pictures of my setup but most of them are on my old harddrive and i only have the ones that are on my webspace right now... you can see my hangers in one of the above pictures and here is a little bit better look at how the shackle angle was set up

Old 02-27-2004, 07:45 AM

removing the overloads isnt going to make the springs sag unless you have the springs loaded to the point where they should be on the overloads. the way i see in your pics, the springs arent resting on the overloads. in this manner, the overloads arent bearing any weight, they just act like a 1/2" lift block.

if the shackle you fabbed for your double shackle setup was shorter to put the chevy shackle at a 45* angle, then you would have less lift from the setup.

it also doesnt look like you used the most low profile hanger either, AFAICT, you could easily lose 1/2" in height from that hanger.

your shackles are unloading on the street because of your shock setup. by mounting them at that steep of an angle, they are only half as effective at dampening the suspension. you should mount them as far vertical as possible.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:35 PM

actually when i get my other harddrive you will see my front hanger is very low profile and the shackles have never unloaded on the street... you can try removing the overload but trust me it will sag. finally i realize that the shocks arent as effective but the point of mounting them at a 45 allows me 2x the amount of travel for 28", it allows me to have maxium travel while retaining a relativly small amount of lift

kelly
Old 02-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Seems to me, if you want to do more work on the suspension, then find the chevy springs. If you want a no headache, easy lift, get replacements. Its a no brainer.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
look for AAL's that are long and thin. the short ones are really stiff and like to break at times. the best ones for your runner are ~43 inches long in fact. you will need to remove the axle u-bolts to put them in and you need a good set of jackstands. now is a good time to do a u-bolt flip. you want to find an AAL set that is listed with a maximum of 2 inches of lift. many auto parts stores carry these.

if you dont want to do that much work, you could buy a set of air shocks and install them, then air them up so you dont hit the bumpstops. adjust the amount of air in them untill you get the ride you want.

personally, to get rid of the saggy butt on my runner, i just used a longer shackle. it neither helped nor hurt the ride, but it did increase flex. soon, im going to swap in the 63" chevies and do a u-bolt flip at the same time.
U said to get rid of the saggy but u just used a longer shackle. was that difficult or expensive to do? what all is involved in that? thanks -aaron

Last edited by LevZeppelin; 02-29-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:37 PM

it was really easy. soaking down the bolts with liquid wrench for a few days ahead of time really helps. you need a set of jack stands or a high lift. disconnect the shocks, undo the factory shackles, bolt in the new ones and reconnect the shocks.

lift shackles
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

I used Pro comp AALs. $25 from a local 4x4 barn. Probably not the ideal solution but its far better than having the overload leaf hold everything.

Don't forget some decent shocks. My Monroe $20 specials have been adequate but they are tired after 6 years.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:17 AM

hey descendents - are you overload leaves backwards? shouldn't they arch downward?