Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to pep up suspension of 86 runner...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to pep up suspension of 86 runner...

my suspension in the back of my 86 4runner sucks, its so bad i cant stand to even go over speed bumps. While im not looking to lift it, cause its a daily driver and i dont want the added stress, i want it to be able to take bumps better. So basically im looking for a fairly simple fix that will make it able to take bumps better, but if it happens to add a little lift, i wouldnt be too mad . any suggestions? (i mainly want this to be able to go on trails) thanks -aaron
Old 02-08-2004, 06:22 PM

does it ride really rough? does it bounce or what? if its really rough, and your springs are flat, you can either go for an add-a-leaf or do a chevy spring swap, which im about to do myself.

if it just bounces uncontrolably over speed bumps, its time for some new shocks.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get what you are saying. It's like you bottom out over speed bumps. What it is doing is hitting the rubber bump-stops ontop of your leaf-springs. I have been dealing with that for over a year know, and it drives me nuts too. You could prolly fix that with an add-a-leaf.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:49 PM

my truck doesnt keep on bouncing after i go over the speed bump. it just makes a loud thud and everything(including my dog) in the back get thrown up into the air. the add a leaf thing sounds good, where can i found more info on that and would it be difficult to do? thanks again -aaron
Old 02-08-2004, 07:45 PM

look for AAL's that are long and thin. the short ones are really stiff and like to break at times. the best ones for your runner are ~43 inches long in fact. you will need to remove the axle u-bolts to put them in and you need a good set of jackstands. now is a good time to do a u-bolt flip. you want to find an AAL set that is listed with a maximum of 2 inches of lift. many auto parts stores carry these.

if you dont want to do that much work, you could buy a set of air shocks and install them, then air them up so you dont hit the bumpstops. adjust the amount of air in them untill you get the ride you want.

personally, to get rid of the saggy butt on my runner, i just used a longer shackle. it neither helped nor hurt the ride, but it did increase flex. soon, im going to swap in the 63" chevies and do a u-bolt flip at the same time.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Napoleon047
look for AAL's that are long and thin. the short ones are really stiff and like to break at times. the best ones for your runner are ~43 inches long in fact. you will need to remove the axle u-bolts to put them in and you need a good set of jackstands. now is a good time to do a u-bolt flip. you want to find an AAL set that is listed with a maximum of 2 inches of lift. many auto parts stores carry these.

if you dont want to do that much work, you could buy a set of air shocks and install them, then air them up so you dont hit the bumpstops. adjust the amount of air in them untill you get the ride you want.

personally, to get rid of the saggy butt on my runner, i just used a longer shackle. it neither helped nor hurt the ride, but it did increase flex. soon, im going to swap in the 63" chevies and do a u-bolt flip at the same time.
that sounds good, but are you recommending that i add a 43 inch long leaf or gett all new leafs? also, this may sound dumb, but what is a u-bolt flip and what will it do for me? Is this hard to do or just going to take along time as i am a rather inexperienced mechanic. also, what brand leafs do you recommend? last thing, you say i should find a set with a maximum of 2 inches of lift, will it lift it 2 inches or no? thanks again -aaron

Last edited by LevZeppelin; 02-08-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by LevZeppelin
that sounds good, but are you recommending that i add a 43 inch long leaf or gett all new leafs? also, this may sound dumb, but what is a u-bolt flip and what will it do for me? Is this hard to do or just going to take along time as i am a rather inexperienced mechanic. also, what brand leafs do you recommend? last thing, you say i should find a set with a maximum of 2 inches of lift, will it lift it 2 inches or no? thanks again -aaron

sounds to me you need a bolt in deal. go for the AAL, if you are looking for a quick fix you can re-use your stock u-bolts and plates which is easy enough, just start soaking down your u-bolts and nuts with liquid wrench today. that way when you install the AAL, it will be easier to get them off.

usually people go with the rancho long AAL, others use the skyjacker softride AAL,

im sure you have noticed that if you look at your 4runner from the side on level ground, the rear end sags quite a bit. about 1.5" of lift is required to make it sit level, and 2" of lift will give it a 0.5" rake which will look good, and make it better with a load in the rear. 3" and up AALs tend to be too stiff and ride rough.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trailmaster makes a good long add-a-leaf.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

How about Downey replacement springs?

Downey has some 2" lift springs for $160/set.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm
Old 02-09-2004, 12:40 PM

I just did an aal on my 86 procomp has a decent aal fairly cheap like $40. I think. JACQUE
Old 02-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

OK, what is the "AAL"?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:48 PM

ADD A LEAF
Old 02-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

OHHHH:pat:

I have one right now on my '87, and the ride is horrible.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by SteveO
How about Downey replacement springs?

Downey has some 2" lift springs for $160/set.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm
why the hell would you spend $160 on some "stock" springs? the AAL will cost less than $50 and if he gets the long AALs it will ride great

if he is gonna spend that kind of money on rear springs, he should make it count with some lift or flex or both.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:07 PM

ok, here is a breakdown of $160 much better spent:

sky's complete chevy rear kit $85
U-bolt flip $25
63" chevy rears $25

total: $135

that leaves some money to pay someone to weld the hangars on if you cant do it yourself

or you could just buy the front hangars from budbuilt for $55 and use a double rear shackle for less and have even more money to pay for welding
Old 02-11-2004, 10:21 AM

ok, here is a breakdown of $160 much better spent:

sky's complete chevy rear kit $85
U-bolt flip $25
63" chevy rears $25

total: $135

that leaves some money to pay someone to weld the hangars on if you cant do it yourself

or you could just buy the front hangars from budbuilt for $55 and use a double rear shackle for less and have even more money to pay for welding
would this raise my truck, or just bring it back to normal height? also, do you think this would add anymore stress to the truck? thanks -aaron
Old 02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

If you don't know of somebody who can weld, or don't want to hassle with first cutting off the old brackets, then placing everything just right, then welding them in, and then having the fact that you no longer have toyota rear suspension, you have Chevy springs........

Seems to me, the quickest, easiest, most reliable method is to just get some stock length springs with a 2" lift, and bolt them in.

Its a not brainer. You can be back on the road in a matter of hours. Definitely worth the few extra bucks.

I just completed a rear coil-to-spring swap on my '99 4Runner. This is no easy task, and making sure all the spring brackets are placed just right takes time, and then the welding must be sound.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Re: want to pep up suspension of 86 runner...

Originally posted by LevZeppelin

....While im not looking to lift it, cause its a daily driver and i dont want the added stress, i want it to be able to take bumps better. So basically im looking for a fairly simple fix that will make it able to take bumps better, but if it happens to add a little lift, i wouldnt be too mad . any suggestions? (i mainly want this to be able to go on trails) thanks -aaron
The most important few statements here are listed above.

The Downey 2" over stock will give you a little lift,
They will provide you with a quick bolt on fix,
They will give you a much better ride than slapping a AAL in,
And they are made with Toyota quality in mind,

The extra $30 bucks is well worth it.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:37 PM

for the chevy springs, you dont have to remove any of the existing brackets, they dont interfere with the new springs.

the chevy springs will give you a slight rake and will still ride better than those downey ones do and they will give you tons more flex.

if you are that anal about not using GM parts, then i dont know what to tell you

made with toyota quality in mind? downey ads have obviously made an impression on someone

have you personally used the downey springs? how do you know they will ride better than an AAL? everyone i know of that has used downey leaves said they were stiff as hell
Old 02-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, you don't have to remove any of the existing brackets, just weld on some new ones.

Indeed, the Chevy springs will flex more than the downey ones, but did you read what LevZepplin stated about daily driver?

Downey does have some good products, and they have some crappy products. I have used their springs in the past, and have been pleased with the performance of their springs, in the replacement category. Of course, if somebody is making a more serious off-road vehicle, I wouldn't choose Downey. However, in this case, LevZepplin has a daily driver, don't make it more difficult than it has too be.

yes, I have personally used Downey springs, and I know for a fact that they ride better than an AAL insert. I currently have an '87 4Runner that has an AAL in the back. There is no flex at all in this spring pack with the AAL. This '87 4Runner is a daily driver, and I plan on making the quickest, easiest, most economical transistion to new springs with a slight lift; Downey 2" springs.

Again, read LevZepplin's original statement about rear springs. He didn't state anything about rock crawling, nor major lift, nor serious flex. Thus, scratch off the Chevy super flex springs. What he did state is daily driver, simple fix, no added stress....

again, it doesn't have to be that difficult.

Quick Reply: want to pep up suspension of 86 runner...