Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trd locking differential question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trd locking differential question.

hey guys, i just got a 2002 tacoma witht he trd package. i realized that the rear end will only lock with the truck in 4x4 low. I am supercharging the truck and putting the urd fuel kit on the truck and it will go pretty good and watend to do posi burnouts but now i realize that the rear only locks in 4x4 low, since that is all electronic, has anyone figured out how to get the rear to lock in 2wd? all it is, is tricking the computer to think its in 4x4 low, but i was wondering if anyone has done it?any help or suggestions. thanks guys
Jon
Old 07-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Banned

not 100% sure on this, but look for something on here called the brown wire mod... i beleive it is a way to have 4x2 low range... not sure about the locker engaging situation though, most lockers are either on or off... not dependent on 4x4 or 4x4 lo... however, toyota may have put in a safeguard

Last edited by jimabena74; 07-06-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

I may be wrong, but I dont think you're supposed to go more than 5 mph with the rear differential locked, it's to be used only when needed.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 PM

Look at Customtacos.com you can find info about the locker mod.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Just look for information on the "Grey" wire mod.....

E-Locker ECU located under the driverside kick panel, run a jumper from the grey wire and ground it......
Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pretacopower
I may be wrong, but I dont think you're supposed to go more than 5 mph with the rear differential locked, it's to be used only when needed.
You can go any speed you like with the locker locked, but for some stupid reason (ie that liability known as stupid people) they put an interlock in to keep you from using it in anything other than 4-low and to keep you from engaging it while the wheels are spinning faster than 5mph. The 4-low thing is pretty sensible, you really shouldn't need it in any other mode. The 5mph thing is just to keep you from engaging it while one rear wheel is spinning much faster than the other. Once engaged there is no reason you'd have to limit your speed.

Modding it will likely invalidate any warranty you may have on the system, but it is totally safe as long as you're careful about engaging it. Just don't try to do so when you have a wheel slipping. Instead stop or at least slow enough to stop the slipping and then do it.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Just look for information on the "Grey" wire mod.....

E-Locker ECU located under the driverside kick panel, run a jumper from the grey wire and ground it......
You can also pop the ECU open and run a jumper right on the circuit board for a no-see-um mod. There are two pins to ground if you want to get rid of both interlocks, 4wd and speed. I have a picture I can dig up of the Taco ECUs which I modded in this way if anybody wants to see more.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a nice write-up: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...oma_locker.htm
Ground the grey #8 wire and you're good to go in 2wd. I think wire #10 is the one that goes to the speed sensor - ground that one and you can engage at any speed.

I use my e-locker in 2wd all the time, but not for drag racing. It's fun to tell folks you didn't need to even put it into 4wd to get over the obstacle they struggled with.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grey Wire Mod
Old 07-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

yes, grey wire mod. I've done it, it works fine. Of course I've only ever used my locker while I was actually in 4WD low, but I still like having the option.
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...oma_locker.htm
I think this is the same link as previously posted, but it is the instruction I followed.