Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trail Gear GM alternator fitting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014 | 02:57 AM

Trail Gear GM alternator fitting issues.

Followed this write up to the part #.

1993 US built 22R-E truck

Write up: http://fixingthetruckagain.blogspot.com/2013/11/gm-alternator-upgrade-how-to-install-cs.html?m=1

I installed and wired the CS-144 alternator. The top bracket fought me but I eventually got it into place. Upon installing the new longer belt I peered along its run from the passenger side and was alarmed to find the alternator sitting too far forward and pointed slightly down. Hence why the upper bracket was binding on EVERYTHING.

Is there a lot of play in the bracket I didn't account for before torquing down the bracket bolts? Trail Gear's tech support keeps harping on my choice of alternator saying it's not one of the ones made for the bracket. Well....it fits like a glove because its a GM and I'm following a detailed write up centered around this particular alternator.

The alternator pivot mount would have to be crooked (unlikely as its a cast housing) to support TG's claim. It HAS to be the bracket, correct? The engine can't be crooked and neither can the pivot mount...

Im at work all day with nothing better to do than ponder the situation. Company meeting and lack of daylight ensure I wont be able to wrench on this thing until the AM. Any and all help, opinions and boisterous opinionated conversation would be greatly appreciated.

My phone number is 4014392378 if anybody wants to bombard me with the usual slurry of screenshots from a FSM covered in highlighter.

Thanks for anything you can offer guys!
Old 12-19-2014 | 01:43 PM

Red face

Pretty much says it all you have the wrong alternator for there bracket.

Sounds to me you need to get a bracket to fit your alternator or the alternator trail gear recommends for the bracket they make.

There are a bunch of GM alternators not all the same dimensions

In this day and age it is more then likely you don`t have the alternator you wanted because of mislabeling or boxed wrong.