Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift and Exhaust feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift and Exhaust feedback

Ok guys and girls,
I have an 89 V6 5 spd Long Bed 4x4 truck with approximately 190K miles and 31x10.5x15 tires on stock rims. I bought it last year form the first owner and it had approximately 177K miles on it. This is my daily driver I would like to drive it to 300K or 350K miles. I would like to do three things to the truck and would like to get feed back on it.

A. I would like to fix the sag in the rear end and was looking to do add a leaf. I would like to be able to put more junk in the bed with out it sagging also, i.e. landscaping material, camping equipment, etc.

B. I would like to put 33x12.5x15 inch tires on the truck, and from what I understand I will need to do the following:
-Do a 3 inch body lift (looked into a suspension but I don’t really hit the mud or do any off roading at all, if I do it would be either just driving in the snow or getting out of the mud or sand and don’t want to spend that much). With a body lift I should be fine with performing limited light 4WD correct?
-Use wider rims, possibly with a larger offset to push the wheels further out the give the truck a wider stance, in order to use 33x12.5x15 tires.

C. I would like to do change out the old stock exhaust, since it has a leak, and put in a single flowmaster.

My questions are:
1. Regarding A and B will this be the cheapest, in both parts and labor, to repair the sag and get the lift I need to put 33s?
2. Would you guys suggest replacing the shocks, I’m about 99% sure they are the originals, since I would like to try to keep the truck for a while? The reason I ask is since I am doing the add a leaf and body lift they will be getting somewhat into the suspension and figure it would be cheaper do it now than later.
3. Will light off roading be fine with a 3 (or 4 if I can find one) inch body lift?
4. Should I get the exhaust installed before or after the add a leaf and body lift?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM

Anybody?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM

I personally would avoid the body lift, especially a 4". That's a bit much IMO. You can solve both A and have plenty of room for 33s by getting a 4" suspension lift with replacement rear springs. If you're going to lift, you might as well do it correctly the first time.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by idealconcepts
Ok guys and girls,
I have an 89 V6 5 spd Long Bed 4x4 truck with approximately 190K miles and 31x10.5x15 tires on stock rims. I bought it last year form the first owner and it had approximately 177K miles on it. This is my daily driver I would like to drive it to 300K or 350K miles. I would like to do three things to the truck and would like to get feed back on it.

A. I would like to fix the sag in the rear end and was looking to do add a leaf. I would like to be able to put more junk in the bed with out it sagging also, i.e. landscaping material, camping equipment, etc.

B. I would like to put 33x12.5x15 inch tires on the truck, and from what I understand I will need to do the following:
-Do a 3 inch body lift (looked into a suspension but I don’t really hit the mud or do any off roading at all, if I do it would be either just driving in the snow or getting out of the mud or sand and don’t want to spend that much). With a body lift I should be fine with performing limited light 4WD correct?
-Use wider rims, possibly with a larger offset to push the wheels further out the give the truck a wider stance, in order to use 33x12.5x15 tires.

C. I would like to do change out the old stock exhaust, since it has a leak, and put in a single flowmaster.

My questions are:
1. Regarding A and B will this be the cheapest, in both parts and labor, to repair the sag and get the lift I need to put 33s?
2. Would you guys suggest replacing the shocks, I’m about 99% sure they are the originals, since I would like to try to keep the truck for a while? The reason I ask is since I am doing the add a leaf and body lift they will be getting somewhat into the suspension and figure it would be cheaper do it now than later.
3. Will light off roading be fine with a 3 (or 4 if I can find one) inch body lift?
4. Should I get the exhaust installed before or after the add a leaf and body lift?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
A. Add a leaf would definately give you some lift, it will ride rough when unloaded though.
B. I would do ball joint spacers and crank the torsion bars a little for front lift and stay away from a body lift. I am kind of partial though because that's the set up I'm running.
C. I have a flowmaster and it sounds pretty good, by good I mean loud. I'm assuming you have the V-6.

1. This should be a cheap lift, especially if you do the labor yourself. This is an easy job with basic tools to include jacks and jackstands. This website will help out just use the search feature.
2. Definately replace the shocks. Bilstein or OME is often quoted as the best although the most expensive. I have been happy with Rancho and Doetsch Tech personally.
3. Light off roading would be fine with a 3" body lift if you go that route. I don't think you'll find a 4" kit out there unless you make something yourself.
4. Unless you do a shackle lift I don't think the exhaust will be effected by lifting. It would probably "look better" if you did it after a body lift if the installer can "tuck it up" better.

I'm not an expert and these are mostly personal opinions. My experience comes from owning a '97 Tacoma 4x4 that I added an AAL and 2" body lift to. I did all the work myself with the help of the internet. I also did the lift on my current ride with the help of this site. I can easily fit 33's, just can't talk the boss into 33's right now

This is a good place start for info and parts.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

Last edited by toddowaddo; 10-25-2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks Bryanr - looked into a suspension lift and didn't want to spend the $1,400 and up I was qouted for parts and labor since I don't do off roading, I just like the higher look of a Toyota Truck with the big tires.

toddowaddo - thanks for the feedback, I'm going to do more research on other options to lift my truck besides suspesions and body lifts before I decide how to lift the truck.

Thank you guys both again.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

again, just an opinion, but personally i would start with a suspension lift and add a body lift if you found you needed to later -- which i don't think you need to run 33s, actually.

does a mild (suspension) lift for a 1st gen really run up to $1400? i dunno, sounds kind of off to me.

and yeah, the 4crawler site is a great place to get some info. good luck!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 AM

My 4" suspension lift w/rear springs for the same year truck cost me $1072 shipped and $300 installed/aligned. So that's about right.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 AM

Ok, I went to one 4WD shop and they have a 3 inch body lift for around $150 with install it will run around $900 to about $1,000 (that’s $750 to $850 worth or labor they are charging) this doesn’t include either doing shackles or add leaf to correct the sad (this will run another $140 to $180 labor and parts). Another 4WD states they will sell the body lift kits but will not install it. I am going to call a third shop and see what they charge for install of a body lift. So far the labor (at least from one shop) for install on a body lift is not as cheap as I thought. If I am going to save only $400 or $500 in doing a body lift instead of a suspension lift, I might just go ahead and do the suspension lift, but I’m going to do some more research on this. And if I replace my shocks when I do a body lift the price gets even closer to a suspension lift, since from what I have seen most suspension kits include shocks. bryanr what type of shop did you get to install your lift for $300? Anybody have any suggestions on other types of shops I can get quotes to install of a body lift and a suspension lift?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

It's not hard to do the work on the lift yourself... you just need to make sure that you have done all your homework in advance.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

There has to be some California guys close enough to help you out with the lift. I'm not sure how close you are to my location (92284) but I'd be willing to help you out myself.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:52 AM

Tacoma Dude, I have limited experience and limited tools so I am very hesitant to do it on my own. But if there was someone actually with me walking me through what I need to do I would be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks for the offer toddowaddo, I'm in 95829 (Sacramento), might be a fairly long trip.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 AM

Ok, I called another place and they do body lift installs for $500 (my bumper and hitch will remain in the same position so there is a gap) and install suspension kits for $550 + $89 for alignment. Wish I could find a place that will do the suspension install for $300 like bryanr.