Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First aid kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First aid kit

I have had a fist aid kit in my rig for years. Well, now has come the time to replace it as it is WAY past its useable dates. So my question is, where did you get your kit? Waht do you like/ dislike about it?

BTW my old one was from a millitary hummvee and really complete with snakebite kit, gloves, aspirin, pepto, you name it.... : )
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I Live We Have A Fire And Emergency Store For Such Things. Or You Could Try An Army Navy Surplus.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

For the house I have a nice Johnson&Johnson one...for the car I have a hiking one I got at REI..

Just like this one

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

That is a nice kit Mark. Thanks for the link.
I have talke to a couple of other people that say they bought theirs from their local building supply store. I just want to make sure I have a decent kit. You never know when you will need it. : )
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

These guys make some good kits: http://www.amkdealer.com/default.asp
Old 12-18-2006, 07:48 AM

Being an EMT I like the Sportsman Series/Outfitter version in the previous link. I've got a bunch of crap in mine including O2 but then again I'm a Wilderness EMT.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Well, for $35 the "sportsman" kit looks to be the winner! That kit has a LOT of the items I think I would need on the trail.

Thanks for the link!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I have that REI Backpacker one, bought it many years ago.
It goes on every trip with me.

I also carry a smaller one in a Tupperware container that I added stuff too, it resides in the back.
Put it together 10 years ago or so.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 AM

The sportsman is not bad but you have to think about the kind of injuries you will most likely be dealing with on the trial and the fact you will be most likely outside the "golden hour" for EMS response.

Most back country injuries are significant trauma, basically a lot of blood. So the more bulky bandages the better. The idea obviously is to be able to stop the loss of blood. I've got a number of trauma compression bandages just for that reason. They are great blood stoppers and have a built in tie to keep them secure.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KD7NAC_07FJ
The sportsman is not bad but you have to think about the kind of injuries you will most likely be dealing with on the trial and the fact you will be most likely outside the "golden hour" for EMS response.

Most back country injuries are significant trauma, basically a lot of blood. So the more bulky bandages the better. The idea obviously is to be able to stop the loss of blood. I've got a number of trauma compression bandages just for that reason. They are great blood stoppers and have a built in tie to keep them secure.
Well all my bandages are still in good shape, just my medicines and stuff are out of date and not worth saving anymore, so I would take that kit and replace what is needed.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying everything you need yourself is much cheaper and better in the longrun as the kits literally come with alot of stuff you wont use or even know how to use.

For any goodkit your gonna need the following:
Gauze sponges
Trauma bandages (were talking military kind, IDF style run about 7 a pop and are excellent)
Bandaids of all shapes and sizes, I carry literally about 20 of each size
Gauze, gauze and more rolls of gauze in both 3" and 2 1/2" or so
The stretchy gauze stuff-I forget the name but it sticks to itself and works very, very, very well
Waterproof tape, and plain old cloth tape
Tweezers and forceps (for removing nasties)
Bug repellent
An exacto knife blade, I carry this just tobe on the safe side..ya never know
Ambesol
Neosporin cream
Immodium and pepto, carry both as pepto will also do heartburn and other stuff will immodium only does the hershey squirts and gas, btw chewable is the way to go. Make sure its sealed
A pair of EMT shears or good scissors
Ace bandages, 2-3
Asprin
Tyelonol
Motrin/advil
That other asprin kinda drug thats 500mgs..asperta..something like that I cant recall the name.
Some people are allergic to some kinds of pain relievers I carry about 25 tablets of each.
Sewing kit, floss-used as expediant thread and super tough too..
Toung depressors to use as as small splints
Saftey pins
Gloves
Duct tape
Butteryfly bandages, very, very handy to close wounds with no stitches
Alcohol prep pads

This entire kit costs maybe 50 dollars, it costs over 100 in alot of places and you dont get nearly the amount of stuff you can use or need. This kit is similar, but they give you a fancy bag and you need way more gauze and bandages for trauma: http://www.amkdealer.com/kit_detail....itNO=0105-0289

Most of it will be around your home too. I am sure I left some items out but this is a running memory of mine that I take backwoods backpacking and its in my truck at all times along with my other preparedness gear just incase.

Being a former 5 year volunteer EMT/FF I can tell you that trauma and loss of blood are the number one things to watch out for. Making the bleeding stop and bandaging it up is your number 1 priority period, it can save someones life. I would also recommend you start yourself a kit for incase you get lost like That Kim guy that family got trappeed in the snow, a personal locator becaon is a really good idea in such cases, it works only when turn edon and people can locate you with ease as it sends out signals on the bands the searches use.

I cannot stress enough to everyone that you should be prepared to spend your night in your rig in possibly very low or hot temperatures, thus having the needed supplies is a very, very good idea. Think about building such a kit and leaving it inside your truck at all times. Warm clothing, blanket or sleeping bag, that first aid it, food, water or a way to get water, something to make fire, possibly a gun if your state allows. It could very well save your life..