Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Truetrac or SURETRAC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detroit Truetrac or SURETRAC?

Hello Everybody! and trying to buy this week a rear locker for my 2nd GEN 4runner 93 and looks like Detroit is the most accepted but now I don't now wich model will work better for me; I use my truck everyday to work but I'm trying to enjoy wheeling every weekend!!
Not to much rocks here in Florida but have been in situations where others with lockers had no problems.
If you can help me with some model suggestions will be greatly appreciate.
P.S: Budget of 500$ aprox
RM
Old 02-23-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
rmundarain,

hello nooooob, and welcome to the forum!

i had the same question too and im still researching my options. if you've narrowed it down to these two, you probably did some homework already.

i highly suggest that you search both terms (true trac and suretrac) and research this on the forum. there have been dozens of threads on these two options and for your benefit, you really should read through all of them. i did and it helped me narrow it down to the true trac.

simply put, my 4runner is more on road than off, and while the true trac is not a locker per se, it does have the capability to assist more than an open diff to aid in traction. moreover, it does not have the clunking/clanking of lunchbox lockers (another term you should search) either.

speaking of lockers, jason demello (demello) has a fully assembled 3rd member w/ an EZ Locker for sale for $300 + shipping (or was it $350?). i actually purchased it b/c he said he thought it was a truetrac, but it was an ez locker. something to consider given the cheap price!

oh edit: your $500 budget is not going to make it w/ the true trac + installation.

bob
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 AM

Hey Bob thanks for your help and here are some of the things that sent me to the true-trac
1) I was trying to get something selectable but ARB and cable lockers like OX are too expensive for me right now. (I think that I can live with the excess burning of the tires (also not sure about how bad this will be) because I work in the auto parts business and I can get my tires pretty cheap:-)

2) Because of the price I need to go for an automatic locker but reading thru the forums I had the impression of lockers with clutchs are more prone to fail due to wear and also more noisier than the geared ones.

About the EZ trac is supposed to be the entry level and I found it for $243.99 and the True Trac for $369.00 for this $120 difference I will go for the one that will save some money after time, and like you, I use my truck more in the road and I'll aprecciate a quiet unit.

Now the part that I not sure is If I will be able to install this by my self or to let to the shop to do some assembly for me. any Idea of installation cost??
Thanks again and I hope that we can figure this out soon!!
RM

Last edited by rmundarain; 02-24-2005 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM

The EZ locker types will be less work to install but will be a little harsher and possibly noiser on road. The true track you probably wont even notice and it comes as a full carrier. This means that your overall strength goes up considerably.

I will probably buy a true track for the rear considering thay are just $299
https://peakempire.com/store/default...c2ed45f62972dc

This person is in the showcase vendor area over on the pirate board.

The easy type locker will probably give better off road performance but at the cost of on road comfort and maybe a little noise. If you want an easier install type locker then I would suggest an aussie locker over any other type of lunch box locker. Aussies are supposed to be the quietest smoothest ez type locker available and the price is very good.
https://offroadlockers.com/

Just some food for thought.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
detroit suretrac is only for heavy axles, like a semi isnt it?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:04 PM

GANOID THANKS A LOT!! I will buy it from Empire and try to install it in one week more.
RM
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM

i thought the true-track was a LSD more or less and not a locker...i.e: never fully locked...
Old 02-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by rmundarain
Hello Everybody! and trying to buy this week a rear locker for my 2nd GEN 4runner 93 and looks like Detroit is the most accepted but now I don't now wich model will work better for me; I use my truck everyday to work but I'm trying to enjoy wheeling every weekend!!
Not to much rocks here in Florida but have been in situations where others with lockers had no problems.
If you can help me with some model suggestions will be greatly appreciate.
P.S: Budget of 500$ aprox
RM

Hey There,

Welcome to the world of Lockers! Let me first start off by saying that a Detroit True-Trac is not a locker. It is a geared Limited Slip Differential (LSD) that will equalize torque to both wheels. One will turn 100% while the other will receive a bias at about 80%. In MUD, this will cause both wheels to spin under power. On rocks, if one wheel is lifted off the ground, the inherrant weakness of an LSD becomes evident as the airborne wheel just spins while the grounded one remains still. A little brake feathering with the TT will hopefully bias out and you can move again, but many find and testify that it's a crap shoot. Your budget of $500.00 will get you a TT at an average cost of $250-$300.00, but the labor to install will take you over what you've budgetted.

The second most economical option is the E-Z Locker. Either the Detroit or Lock-Rite will work nicelly. They are full lockers, both sides 100% when driving straight. On the turn they will disengage, giving you an open diff, or a one wheel wonder! Sometimes they will engage a little harshly, often giving a thunk or thud that makes you feel you've broke something. It's normal. You can pick one up for around $250.00 NIB and install can be done by a half way competant backyard mechanic. Your $500.00 will do you fine here.

Everything else is outta range for the $500.00 because you won't have any $$$ left for ring gear set up costs on the new carrier.

You didn't mention whether you had a I4 or V6. I have a friend in the Navy who has a new Detroit EZ Locker NIB V6 which he's trying to sell, because he's going another route. He's asking $150.00 so here's a chance, if you have the V6 to save even more. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Hope this helps!

Randy
MUDN4RNR
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 AM

Randy thanks my friend, Now I'm more confused but the money it's making me clear!!!!
PLease send me an email or the contact info for your friend.
Thanks
RM
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 AM

maybe look at powertrax. they are priced fairly and you can do the install yourself...
Old 02-25-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by rmundarain
Randy thanks my friend, Now I'm more confused but the money it's making me clear!!!!
PLease send me an email or the contact info for your friend.
Thanks
RM
rmundarian,

The last thing I want to do is confuse someone. Please explain what I said that you don't understand so that I can help you. I would like you to fully understand so that when you make your move, you are confident. It sounds like you want good DD (Daily Driver) capabilities and yet a little extra off-road. Am I correct?

I await your reply.

Randy
MUDN4RNR
Old 02-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rivercat
i thought the true-track was a LSD more or less and not a locker...i.e: never fully locked...
The TrueTrac is a torque sensing (torsen) limited slip diff. It works well, no clutches to wear and once you master the brake biasing technique it can be made to lock up if needed:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml
Old 03-01-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by mudn4rnr
rmundarian,

The last thing I want to do is confuse someone. Please explain what I said that you don't understand so that I can help you. I would like you to fully understand so that when you make your move, you are confident. It sounds like you want good DD (Daily Driver) capabilities and yet a little extra off-road. Am I correct?

I await your reply.

Randy
MUDN4RNR
Hello Randy I just kidding!! As you said I want to keep my truck driveable on the road but I will kill myself if a put something that will not be tough enough off road (dont' get me wrong I live in florida and here is only mud and sand but I don't want to open the 3rd member every year!!); I need to stay inside the 500$ budget and I will try my best to install it by myself and my brother to keep the cost down (beers and burgers will do the trick if we need a third shade tree mechanic). I'm willing to sacrify a little confort by the noise (anyways the tires are doing their part too!!) and more worried about "braking" to make the LSD lock in the case of the truetrac that people in the forums are talking about; I'm pretty sure that is not a big deal but in my case my truck has a manual transmission and you can get the picture of some situations were doing braking and accelerating will be sometimes dificult.

If you guys thing that the EZ Locker will do the job I'll go for it while I get the money to switch to an ARB or something selectable.
Please let me know about if still the EZ locker from your friend is available or BOB send me the info of Demello to try to get the third member from him.
Thanks everybody and I'll tell you the end of this mod!!!
Rmundarain
Old 03-01-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
www.demello-offroad.com
Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 AM

I have the locker if someone is still interested? 300.00 takes it!