Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is better?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which is better?????

Which is a better locker? The Toyota E-locker. Or the ARB air locker. Thought bout buying the complete 3rd's from the local Toy dealer. Factory 4.56 gears. But at barley over 1K each they sound expensive. On the other hand, ARB's are about 650 each. Plus I need an air supply. Along with R&P gears. In my opinion, I think that the E-locker would be the way to go. Just wondering what everyone else thought
Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll probably get better responses for your off road questions in the off road sections.

Both are very good lockers, most people say they're about equal in strength and reliability.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can get the e-lockers for less than a $1,000 each. Check Marlin and Inchworm and there used to be a few toyota dealerships that sold them for around $750 i think.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jake94
eLocker $795 (came w/ 4.56 gears) + Home made ECU, wiring and, Harness from toyota $60 + Rear axle modification $200 = $1055

Jake.
I got a kick ass deal on an already set-up ARB 3rd, $660(shipped) w/ 5.29 gears, but I still need all the switches, air supply, and hoses, so it's gona end up over $1000. If you can hunt some more extream boards like Pirate, Wild Yoats, then you can find some people that are going with different axels(D44, or Pro Rock stuff) and get their thirds with lockers and gears. It just takes time, but if you could get an e-locker in like Jake94 then I say go with it.

I like the ARB because then it gives you an excuese to get on board air at the same time.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 PM

I have yet to do a lot of digging for a deal on those thirds. Or any for that matter. Too many other things to buy first (bilsteins,crawl box, hy-steer,fab up some sliders,etc.) I'm pretty much in the first stage of my project 83 trail tamer/daily driver. Just thought those E-lockers would kick arse. plus I've heard that ARB's can leak air pretty easy. if the fittings aren't in tip top shape. I work with all kinds of air fittings like those. And over time they do fail. well the lines do at least. don't know what ARB uses but it seems that grease and oil will eat the ones at work over a period of time.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 PM
suv

I went with the e-locker and am very happy with it. I paid $400 shipped for a used e-locker, $325 for 5.29s installed, and about $75 for wiring and misc. parts (did the housing mods myself). Total $800...not too far from what an ARB would run. Either one will be reliable, but if the e-locker has a problem, you can pull the motor (3 nuts) and slide the shift fork over with a screwdriver and have it locked. If the ARB leaks, you're open. Another option would be to buy an e-locked Tacoma axle ($800-1000 probably), and then sell your existing axle.