Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball Joint Spacer Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, the honestly best way to build a truck is in this order. Armor, lockers and diff gears, case gears, and finally lift and tires. However, lift is ususally the first thing on a truck.

As for which one, i'd say the drivetrain first. However, couple of things with that. First off, gear the diffs for the tires you'll eventually run, not what you have now. Sure, you'll stay with 31's w/ no BJ spacers, but what about once you've done everything else? You may go to 32's, or 33's, so gear for that. 4.88 is right on at a 33.

Second, just do a locker in the front. I've gone the truetrac route, and its' not worth it. It doesn't work when you really want it to, and you'll be paying for instal and the truetrac, and then wish that you had gotten the locker from the start.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a TruTrac in front and I have been please with the results for the wheeling I've done. Noe that my rig is strictly an off-road toy I'm considering going with a selectable front locker, like an ARB. If the vehicle is going to remain as your daily driver for any period of time, you'll want to make sure you either go with a selectable locker up front or go with the TruTac. A full time locker up front would suck as a daily driver.

Also, from what others have indicated, you should be fine running up to 33" tires with a 4.88 gear ratio.

Ed

Last edited by Epic Ed; 07-18-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, should have said that myself. I don't believe in non selectable lockers for a truck that is driven on the road, so when i said locker i was refering to an ARB. I know a lot of people who have detroits and what not, and they claim they are fine. I'd never ever put one in anything but a trailer truck, but that's just me.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2 more inches of lift is worth alot less offroad than two more tires tracking... get the lockers
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

I'm with you guys on selectable lockers. The reason I didn't want to go with ARB is the air compressor. I already have an MV-1050 and I wouldnt really want to have to get another. I'm not sure how it would work trying to hook it up to that.

But now that I think about it, I could put the MV on my work truck and get a tank so That I'd have air on it too.

I think e-locker would be alot more work. proabably more expensive too. just because I wouldn't be doing the fab work.

I just need to sit down and lay out the actually TOTAL cost of doing the arb for F/R and then get to saving.

Front locker
Rear Locker
Compressor
Lines and fittings
Switches and Wiring
???
Old 07-18-2006, 07:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I fit 33x10.50 on the stock rims with NO lift and NO rubbing.

AxleIke was pretty much on - armor first, lockers/gears next. I would do tires wherever in there they need to be replaced. Personally, I'm not spending a dime on lift because I hope at some point my 'wheeling skills will be worthy of a SAS and I'll just be cutting it off. LOL
Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't doubt that I could fit 33x10.50s, and I might try it next time. I think I will still have plenty of space. I'll measure to be sure though.

That's always been my thoughts as well. If I was going to do a lift the only options are like 4" kit or BJ spacers. If I was needing the 4" kit I would just go ahead and to SAS because with 4" I could do 35s and I would want SAS for the added strength at that size.

I think I will go with ARB F/R lockers. I just need to find the best place to buy from.
Either that or get a budbuilt Front skid, transfer crossmember, and a sonoran rear bumper....that would complete my armory.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

ARB's will work with any 90 psi air source. You can run them off of another compressor, or a co2 tank, or an onboard air tank. YOu'll have to go to the hardware store to get fittings to connect your air source to the ARB solenoids, if you even choose to use those.

Every ARB locker comes with a switch, solenoid, and the junk to hook it up. Hook your air lockers up to your current compressor, and have at it.

You can also get their wiring harness, but it isn't nessary. much easier though.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:40 PM

Steve isn't making bumper any longer, but there are some other options out there. If I were you, I'd spend the $100 for the ball joint spacers, put in a set of Downey HD coil springs in the rear and then start with the other mods. The stock rear coil springs are one of the worst parts about the 2nd gen 4Runners and it was one of the best mods I ever did since I also tend to carry a lot of heavy stuff in the back. The stance is much better and the extra 2" of lift you get with this combo might be the most affordable and practical "lift" you ever find.

Ed
Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

My 4runner has leaf springs in the rear and torsion bars in the front. I already have AAL in the rear and it sits about an inch nose down, but thats ok. When the add a leafs get tired I will eventually do the 63 chevy swap and that will give me some ability to adjust the rear height more so than I have right now.

I just did some measurements and I am pretty sure that I can fit 33x10.50 with no problems. I'm gonna need to flex both ends out and measure again to see how my clearances will be compressed, but I've got a pretty good feeling that when the time comes I won't have a problem fitting and using the 33's in a off road setting.

I'm thinking that the minute extra articulation that the BJ spacers would give me would be negligble in most situations. I think that F/R lockers would take up the slack.

Ike, about the air supply...I believe that the MV1050 puts out 120psi max, but don't hold me to that. When you engage the air lockers, the compressor kicks in and activiates it. But does it shut off, or cycle, or does it have to stay on contiunosly?
And the wiring it comes with will make any compressor (w/ the right fittings) opperate like the ARB compressor right? Because I know the way mine is wired now it's either on or off and it doesn't work in cycles like a compressor that is on a tank that knows when the tank is full and cuts off.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

um...no not quite...The wiring can be set up that way, but your compressor would need a port for a pressure switch. The way the ARB works is that there is a small (very small, like the size of a cup) tank on the compressor and there is a pressure switch mounted to it. If you were to buy a small tank, and hook the pressure switch up to it, or if your compressor has a small tank with a port that one will fit into, then it would work. Otherwise, just leave it on continually, but you'll need to get the pressure closer to 90 somehow.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

well that's enough info to make me go for the ARB compressor. I think that about covers my plans for the next year or more.

Finish my armory, minus proabably rear bumper.
Get locked
and then whatever else.

Thanks guys, I proabably would have spent money on stuff I didn't need or want without this. All the more reason to love YT.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Well, you can also think of it this way. If you lock, and gear and armor your truck, you are going to be able to do trails that will scare you. Once you become comfortable on those trails, you may decide IFS is not for you, or that you want to go with a different lift. This way you won't have spent any money on lift components and you can really decide for yourself.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM

Yeah, for some reason it escaped me that you have a 1st gen 4Runner. There's a guy on here -- BLKNBLU, I think -- who runs a nearly stock 1st gen 4Runner and his clearance allows him to get through a lot of obstacles. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Ed
Old 07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Ed, you mentioned steve isn't making the bumpers anymore? It was still on the site, at least for 1st gen not too long ago. I'll have to double check.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Well, even if sonoran steel did make those bumpers they are a non shipping item....

I just want a rear bumper for a 1st gen that is NOT a tube bumper. Something that matches the ARB. Kinda like the Armorology rears I see on 3rd gens.

Does such a creature exist that can be shipped to me and not made custom?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can make you a bumper, but you would have to bring your truck here to Arizona and I would build it right on your truck. Then it would fit perfect.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

I would love for you to make me a bumper steve.....I just don't have a reason in the world to go to AZ. Unless you cut me an amazing deal that would be totally worth driving 20something hrs.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you can find someone near you to do it.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Proabably so...Is it ok if I use some pictures of some of your work to show someone an idea of what I want?

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Spacer Experiences