Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd generation pics of lifts/tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ian !!! Looks good. I wonder if I could pull off LESS than 4 inches of backspacing on my set up I plan on doing???
Old 11-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ROOFGOOF
Thanks Ian !!! Looks good. I wonder if I could pull off LESS than 4 inches of backspacing on my set up I plan on doing???
Am I wrong in that the higher the backspacing number, the less the wheels actually stick out from the body?? Aren't stock 16x7 Toyota rims like a 4.5" bs?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:27 PM

Not sure what the stocks are. I am looking at possibly 4.0 backspacing on a 285/75/16 with 16x8 wheels. I need to find out if this will work on my rig without rubbing ,etc.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
Am I wrong in that the higher the backspacing number, the less the wheels actually stick out from the body?? Aren't stock 16x7 Toyota rims like a 4.5" bs?
You are correct... The higher the backspacing, the more inside the wheels will be if both wheels in comparison are the same width. Also the width of the rims plays a huge factor as well... a 16x8 4.5" BS wheel will stick out 1" more than a 16x7 4.5" BS. so a 16x8" 4" BS wheel will actually stick out 1.5" more than a 16x7 4.5" BS wheel...

BS is like offset for all the car freaks here... Basically the lower the offset, the more the wheels stick out, same as bs, lower bs more sticks out.

A little something regarding spacers in case anyone is wondering how it works... Spacers actually reduce offset or backspacing... Alot of folks for some reason think that spacers will make the offset/bs higher... but it actually reduces it...

Last edited by grimpy; 11-07-2005 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure what the stocks are. I am looking at possibly 4.0 backspacing on a 285/75/16 with 16x8 wheels. I need to find out if this will work on my rig without rubbing ,etc.
Bro you may possibly rub... with my 295's I am rubbing just a little bit whenever I reverse and back up turning still... I pounded the pinch weld and shaved the rear front fender area, but it looks like I still need to trim a little more plastic off... I don't rub much but it still does...

285's are just a tad smaller in diameter so you may want to just pound the pinch welds and do some slight trimming... Aside from that, it should fit without a problem... Takes about 1 min each side to trim and pound if you don't give a crap and just get a hammer and pound the crap out of the pinchweld... I also sprayed some paint on it after so it won't be baremetal.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to let you know Tim,

I ran a 2" BL and 3" suspension lift with these same wheels w/o any problems...

I could have also ran these tires with 2" bl and 2" suspension.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 AM

10-4.... I forgot that I will increase alittle as going from a 16x7 to 16x8. I do like the slight look of the wheels sticking out, but I didnt want to get into trimming ,etc.

I'll try to figure out a happy medium for my wheels.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by grimpy
np bro... any idea which rim you are going to get?

Looking at Black rock crawlers right now...just waiting to hear about pricing. I really hope I wont have any rubbing with 285's and 4 inch BS.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Hey i have a Desert Dune 4runner with AR mojave teflon wheels running 285's revos, right now i only have about 2 inches of lift right now and i dont have much rubbing. I recomend the wheels but i have had them for over a year now and in some spots on the wheels that it looks like the teflon is coming off but you can only tell if you get really close to them.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jimbeamcu
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 PM

Ok. As much as I wanted to do a SAS , this is what I ended up with (A budget lift). I just put in an order for 4Crawler Diff Drop. And I will probally order a 2.5 inch Toytec Front spacer in a day or so. This will match up with my OME 891's for the rear.

Still working on the best deal for the RockCrawlers and tires... and rear shocks. Should look pretty good with my 2 inch BL

Will I need to extend any brakelines, etc ???

Last edited by ROOFGOOF; 11-15-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Nah, you wont need to install longer brake lines.

The Toytec lifts look good!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member

Ok. As much as I wanted to do a SAS , this is what I ended up with (A budget lift). I just put in an order for 4Crawler Diff Drop. And I will probally order a 2.5 inch Toytec Front spacer in a day or so. This will match up with my OME 891's for the rear.

Still working on the best deal for the RockCrawlers and tires... and rear shocks. Should look pretty good with my 2 inch BL

Will I need to extend any brakelines, etc ???
as mentioned previously... you would not need to extend the brakelines.
Your ride height should be exactly how mine is with that setup.

You plan on getting the panhard drop bar/bracket?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Doing alittle research right now regarding the panhard drop bracket... Still trying to figure out whether I really need one or not? I have seen a few different set ups and I'm just not sure... are you getting one Grimpy?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Doing alittle research right now regarding the panhard drop bracket... Still trying to figure out whether I really need one or not? I have seen a few different set ups and I'm just not sure... are you getting one Grimpy?
I already have the panhard drop bar. It was easy as heck to install and imo, worth the price.

I would get a weird wiggle off a bump/dip on the road before the panhard and once I got it, no more weird wiggle.

Also I didn't like the idea that my right wheel was sticking out past the fender and my left wheel sucked in. I see trucks like this on the road and it looks funny as heck...
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

You dont need it, but, you'll want one down the line for sure. You'll keep looking at the back of your truck and say "friggin that side sticks out further than the other" until you go crazy.

I still haven't gotten one, and its pretty bad. I just have no money to spend on it... I just got a new job so hopefully I'll get one ASAP. Its been #1 on the list for about 6 months and I just keep running into money issues hah.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Ok. Since we are on the topic, which panhard is the best set up without direct welding to the truck? I've seen a handfull, but like I said before, this is new to me and would rather hear some opinions. Thanks.

I took some "before the lift" pictures today for some comparison pics later down the road.... getting excited.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Ok. Since we are on the topic, which panhard is the best set up without direct welding to the truck? I've seen a handfull, but like I said before, this is new to me and would rather hear some opinions. Thanks.

I took some "before the lift" pictures today for some comparison pics later down the road.... getting excited.
Sonoran Steel... Besides a few custom drop brackets/bars that individuals make themselves... I know there are a few out there for the 2nd gens but I think the SS bar/bracket is the only one available that you can order for the 3rd gen.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Ordered the toytec 2.5 inch front spacer today and ordered my rear shocks OME N86. I am pricing out the tires right now....ALMOST VOMITED My tire/wheel package consists of ROCK CRAWLER 51 series with 4.0 BS on 16x 8 wheel
TIRES - BFG All Terrians ( I own them now and cant complain) 285/75/16's

PRICE FOR WHEELS and TIRES - $ 1,095.00 at the door. My wife is going to kill me
Old 12-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

WOWWWWWWWWW. better get on your knees! LOL
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 AM

That price was from 4wheelparts for the tires/wheel combo. Any other suggestions for low prices before I order? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by ROOFGOOF; 12-02-2005 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 3rd generation pics of lifts/tires