Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Need advice, Dealer cracked my transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice, Dealer cracked my transfer case

I took my 97 LX450 into the dealer last week to get the oil changed in the transfer case. They put the drain plug on so tight they cracked the case. They have orderd a new case, but I am wondering how difficult this is to fix properly, or how likely it is that they will mess up something else with the transfer case when they take it apart. I would sure appreciate any advice (or words of encouragement) from anyone who know how to rebuild transfer cases!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

man that sux Hope all goes well.

It looks like they'll just replace the transfer case housing. Not sure how much work is required but I'd request for some warranty on the work and on the entire assembly just incase something goes wrong.

I'm sure the general manager will be able to help you out since this was their error.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. They had to order the case from Canada. I asked the service manager about a 12 month waranty and he didn't agree with me. Since the cracked case is in between two other pieces of the case it looks like they will have to take the whole thing apart--more chances of messing up other things in the transfer case! I am hoping someone familiar with repairing these cases could tell me what I should watch out for.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure what you'd have to watch out for but I'd say if they're replacing any part of the drivetrain, I'm demand a warranty on the labor and the parts as the repair they cause might cause other problems. You just never know and I'd say it's best that you demand for some warranty on the work.

This part is just as important as the transmission (per say) so.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 10:35 AM

As far as I know, any dealer installed item is warrantied for 1 year.

At least, here in Oklahoma that's the case. Been that route with my rack and pinion steering. First one failed under warranty, the second and third failed after the 100k miles and being that it wasn't a year since they installed the first warrantied one, they had to replace it at no charge both times after that. Now, beings that it's been over a year since they replaced the last one, I have 2 spare ones in my garage just waiting for this one to fail.

Wish I could offer some input on the tcase rebuilding but I'd be talkin' out my a s s cuz my mouth knows betta.

Good luck man!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Take a look at the back of the documentation you get from Lexus -- the bill/quote. In the fine print, you'll see what their warranty is.

If they screw something up, they're on the hook for fixing it. If your particular Lexus dealer can't help you, find another one.

And, since this is their screw up, make sure they provide you with a loaner car. It's standard for warranty-type work, but in this case, since they blew it, they should provide the loaner.

I've had great experiences with my Lexus service department, so I'm usually surprised to hear that others don't have the same experience at times.

Could be that they used the wrong torque settings when tightening the plug. It really shouldn't be that tight (I could tell you specifically, but my FSM is at home).

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:50 PM

I have always had it serviced at the Lexus dealer but it is 40 miles away so I thought I would try a Toyota dealer next to my house. I thought anyone could change the oil. I talked to the guy who broke the case and he showed me the wrench he used-- a 2 foot breaker bar!! I then checked the plugs on the diffs to make sure he didn't strip them out!
I appreciate your advice and will insist on the waranty and loaner car.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 AM

checking out that Toyota dealer might also be a damn good idea since the LX450 and the 80-Series Land Cruiser is indeed the same damn car with different tags and more amenities for the Lexus. and apparently that lexus dealership has some of the not brighter mechanics... a 2 foot breaker.. holy crap..
Old 10-09-2004, 10:14 PM

Breaker bar???
There are definite torque settings for the drain plugs!
Breaker bar?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least it wasn't an air impact

So it was the Toyota dealership did it?