FJ Cruiser (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Corey's 2007 FJ Cruiser Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey have you looked into the ARB overhead console for the fj? I'm thinking of getting one but haven't heard anyone review it yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM

That tent is pretty cool, never seen anything like it.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

roof tent is awesome i had to share a picture with my friend that has a FJ
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
ArkPak Installed 9-14-2013

A few years back I bought the Goal Zero Ranger 350 Battery/Inverter kit and it worked out great.
Bought five of their three watt LED lanterns too that you can daisy chain off of each other where you just plug one light into the battery only.

This year the Goal Zero battery would no longer hold a charge.
As soon as you take it off of the charger, it would start to discharge, and it would be dead within a few days, not good.
I looked on Amazon to source a new one, and a lot of the reviews said the same thing, the batteries did not last very long.

I was reading in one of my Overland Journals about a new system out of Australia that was basically a nice battery box with charge ports built into it, 150 watt inverter, and you supply your own group 31 battery.
AGMs seem to be the favor since they do not spill, and I bought an Exide marine one listed in the links below after seeing that was the one ArkPak was using in their videos.

When the ArkPak was first introduced, it was for 240V overseas, but they started to produce 120V versions for us on this side of the world.
You can read up on all of the specs right here.
http://www.arkportablepower.com/ArkP...tures_benefits

This was installed in my rig on top of the cargobox, and it can charge when it is in the vehicle by plugging in the optional 12V to 12V charger I bought, or from 110V at home, and you can if you want leave it hooked up at home all the time since it has a built in Smart Charger to keep from frying the battery.

With Goal Zeros products you do not need a charge controller since their batteries have one built in, but you do with the ArkPak if you are going to charge it up via your solar panel(s).
I went with the Goal Zero Guardian 12V Charge Controller since it will hook up to my Powerfilm 60W foldable solar panel, and the other end had large battery clips on it that you can hook to the ArkPak or even your own battery in your rig.
My rigs main battery is charged up by another charge controller I installed a few years back when using solar when camping to keep the battery topped off when using the ARB fridge/freezer for extended times when out camping.

Links For ArkPak
Both sites have some very cool videos to watch too of the ArkPak in action.
Main Australian site
US site to order from

Exide XMC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free (AGM) Marine Battery from Amazon Exide XMC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance Free (AGM) Marine Battery from Amazon

Goal Zero Guardian 12V Charge Controller
Guardian 12V Charge Controller from Amazon (where I bought mine from) Guardian 12V Charge Controller from Amazon (where I bought mine from)

Cable to mate a Powerfilm solar panel to the Goal Zero Guardian-12V Charge Controller from Expedition Off Road
I do not believe Goal Zero offers this cable, only Expedition Off Road where I bought mine from.

Here are some pictures from the installation in my FJ Cruiser earlier this morning.

All parts laid out showing the battery, ArkPak, 12V and 110V chargers, and the Guardian Charge Controller.

Installed on the brackets/mounting kit.

You can see the green LED on the 12V plug that powers the charger for it.

12V cable plugged into the charging port.

One bracket at each end of the box.

You loosen a screw on the mounting plates and slide its tongue into the bracket on the ArkPak, then retighten it.

Comparison of the Goal Zero Extreme Ranger 350 battery/inverter and the ArkPak.
One is considerably bigger, abut also way more powerful.

Three of Goal Zeros LED lamps hooked up to the ArkPak.

LED panel showing battery voltage and indicating a full charge.
The battery I received from Amazon last night was shipped from Exide this month, so it has not been sitting in a warehouse discharging for a long time.

Mock setup (notice the covered wingnuts on the ArkPaks external battery connections) showing how you would connect the Guardian Charge Controller to the ArkPak and to my Powerfilm 60 watt foldable solar panel.

This is a very well built unit, and I like that you can replace the battery should it ever go bad.
The whole package including the Exide battery and ArkPak is pushing over 80 lbs, I can feel it when I lift it

This will be great for running the LED lamps in camp, charging up batteries for my various electronics, and having a third backup battery.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yet again, ....You bring the sick new toy to the site for us to think over (or drool over, envy, etc. Lol)...

Thanx for sharing, Corey, and great write up!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Chef, and you are most welcome.
If we ever meet in a campground somewhere, I will have a cold Henrys rootbeer from the ARB fridge for ya

I like this battery setup.
The only thing I do not like is the weight of it.
My back is a little sore from lifting it.

This is a much more powerful battery that is in my FJ, and even the 2nd battery I have under the hood.
One could run two fridges off of this thing with one in freezer mode like the guy's did in this video for several days.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Yeah, that is really nice! I've always wanted to get a dual battery setup with an isolator just like I had in my 1970 blazer.... But huge difference between a 350 4 bolt main 4 speed and my little sewing machine. It doesn't even with some weight but when you start talking about 80 pounds here and a hundred pounds there.... That's where that powerful FJ whips my arse! Lol.....

Love the fridge, love the battery backup charging station / power station / super awesome robot looking thing! Lol.... I've been wanting to get a portable charging and power station, but the two that I've had a brain dead and the charge very quickly, so I know you really have to fork out the box to get a decent one.

With all of the lights I will be adding and now an onboard air system that will either be single compressor or dual with either 35 amps for 70 amps draw.... I had already decided and have my hundred 30 amp alternator from ace-alternators..... I will also be getting most likely a die-hard AMG battery. I thought about the Optima, but a buddy of mine worked there, and he said that even though we were honored have fixed up some things and problems they had had, there just not the same as they used to be, and he even runs the die hard. He also recommends Mercedes batteries? I guess they are also sealed?

I would like to get a solar panel eventually. The fridge I would love to have b*** I would just have to figure out where to put it during the times that I sleep in the truck, like the winter and most of the summer as well as I can create quite the blackout covering with my reflective tarps and window coverings. Its pretty Mickey Mouse but even Richard to tell you how totally blacked out it is even at Tierra del Sol, on a 100 plus degree morning.

You have one of the sickest expedition setups I've ever seen as far as creature comforts and so forth. All practical and very compact... Just absolutely makes me want a lot of what you have. Again, I just have a problem with carrying too much weight. I already take too much gear and need to break that down some.

Indeed, Corey, I really do hope to see out there some day. Do you ever go to Pismo?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Chef.
I have cut way back too in the gear I carry for a trip.
At first I got two of those bigger ECS footlockers, but then cut back to a smaller one that is 4" taller, and then I have the one that carries all of my solar gear and the LED lanterns.

You might be able to come up with a sleeping station in your rig that will allow a fridge there too.
I have seen some pretty cool setups in the back of 1st gens.

Never been down as far South as Pismo.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Springtail Folding Rear Door MPAC Molle Rack Installed 11-16-2013

I have a few other Springtail products in my FJ Cruiser, and a while back I saw on fjcruiserforums site that Doc had released a new rear door rack that now can fold down into a table.
Doc comes up with the coolest ideas for our FJ Cruisers, so thanks Doc for another cool product!

This is perfect for setting a small camp stove on to cook with if you take a short trip to the mountains without taking your main cook stove you would use when camping.
Or if you are a minimalist camper who likes to pack light, this can serve as your kitchen prep/cook area, and also as an area to eat at.

I like to do day trips sometimes to explore to find new areas to camp at, and this will come in handy if I want to cook up some Top Ramen, Mountain House freeze dried, etc.
A nice hot meal would beat out a cold sandwich any day, especially if it is cold outside.

I was able to get on all four bags like my old rack, but they interfere (you just have to move the sides of the bags inwards) with the knobs you turn to let the rack down to turn it into a table.
I will more than likely just use the two bigger bags and one of the small ones.

Here are a few pics of the new setup.

Folded up, knobs are hidden since I still have four bags on it

Down in the table position

I may look for a narrower cutting board, as there is room to store one inside of the racks recessed area

My other Springtail products.

My first Springtail MPAC rack

My Springtail side mount rack for my Powertank

Links

FJ Cruiser Rear Door Folding MOLLE Rack Combo

FJ Cruiser Rear Door Folding MOLLE Rack
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
(Rubs eyes) Is that you Corey? Thought it was a ghost.

What have you been up to? The lady? We miss you guys posting more.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he, been very busy.
Work is very busy for one.

I have a few other mods I will be working on such as installing a set of the Maxtrax
https://www.maxtrax.com.au/
Not sure how yet, I am checking to see if they can mount to my rear ladder or not.
No room top side on my rack since the penthouse is up there.

I may also install another Springtail side rack in the back, and that would be to hold the new ARB dual compressor.
That would be a nice backup to the Powertank.

Oh, working on a new lady from work now
Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM

I agree, it's always great to see you posting up something. That looks awesome! That's one thing about lf to rt opening doors that is great. ..
I do use my gate alot too though.

New lady, eh? Hubba hubba! Lol...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Chef.
Here is my next mod, this is Ferby's setup from fjcruiserforums site.

I ordered the dual ARB compressor yesterday along with another Springtail side rack.
I will try and get it installed over Thanksgiving weekend.
I did not opt for the optional one gallon tank, as that is mainly for air tools, and my Powertank is great for that.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Hmmmm, with the app I cannot see the picture, as happens more than half the time... Even under 4 bar wifi... Never understood why on the side I cannot see all the pictures but on others like minded sites, I can.... anyway, then I come over here to "open browser" version, and I can't see any picture at all. I want to check it out, so I will jump on my PC in a little bit to get a look. Hahaha....Toyota junkies,we are in one of the worst groups as far as always having that itch that needs to be scratched!

Have a good one man!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I do not use the app when surfing here with my Droid Bionic, I use the full browser.
On Firefox now here at work and I can see the pic.
I hear ya Chef on Toyotas, and I am the same way at one of the guitar forums I hang out at too.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 PM

I know what you mean, but I can't even see the pic in.... the regular browser. I will try it using Opera or Firefox..... Have a good one man!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
I do not use the app when surfing here with my Droid Bionic, I use the full browser.
On Firefox now here at work and I can see the pic.
I hear ya Chef on Toyotas, and I am the same way at one of the guitar forums I hang out at too.
I am right here typing on Firefox to let you know that I don't see the picture on here either. It's not even an empty box like it is from the app. Nothing at all. It's no big deal, I was just letting you know.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I bet since his is an attachment from that forum only members can see it, and I am cookied on all of my online devices to be logged in.
Here is the direct URL to his pic, if you cannot click and see it, then it is because you are not a member there maybe.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-board-air.jpg

But I resized it (his was 1600x1200) down smaller, and put it on my server.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Corey- is the springtail rack for the powertank on their site? I need to find a mounting idea for my tank. I did not see it on their website
Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yes Robb it is, it is just known as a side rack.
Racks work for either side on my rig.
Listed on the bottom row here.
http://www.springtailsolutions.com/p...fj/fj-cruiser/

You might look at some of the other makes/models there too and see if he has one that might be the correct size.

Quick Reply: Corey's 2007 FJ Cruiser Build-Up Thread