Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Rogers
I know that with the 6 new injectors Map A is Fuel and Map B timing, For the 7th witch i have Map A IS TIMING, Map B IS FUEL.
Glad we got that straight, too bad they didn't keep them the same with both models.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a scan gauge II mounted on the steering column. it has 4 out puts, I leave the bottom 2 on SFT and LFT, once the you see the SFT hit 0 and you are on the gas you are in open loop. You will also see the AFR move away from 14.7 once open loop is reached. I would not 0 out the urd map. I would load the base map, and run that if you dont have time to tune. You need to re-set the ECU after most map changes, the only time i dont is if its a small timing change. if you want i could e-mail you one of my maps for a starting point, but they are going to be differnt because i am running the 2.2" pulley and i am a 5 speed. You need to find the time to tune, if nothing else make it run rich in open loop.
Oh, finding the time to tune is not the problem, nor is tuning it. I plan to tune it tomorrow actually.

I just want to see how it does stock so i can get an idea of where i need to tune it. This is what URD shggests actually. Plus with the ECU in learning mode it was making it real hard to get consistant numbers. Every run would change a fair amount even if i didn't change anything. Heck even at idle it goes from 14 - 16 at random.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Glad we got that straight, too bad they didn't keep them the same with both models.
Yeah, you would think that they would have.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Holy teleto! 30 hours! No way on earth i could spend that much time on it, considering that i did mine in about 1/10th the time, i think it looks more the 1/10th as good (maybe half as good) so i did better then i thought. lol

As for putting them on top, that was my first choice as well, but my radio would only mount to the top slot. I tried the bottom and there was no way without taking a LOT of extra work to get it to fit right. How did you get your mounted in the bottom? special bracket?
Yep, right around 30 hours, of course that included all the wiring, etc as well, but just getting them mounted was at least 2/3 of the time involved. I'm ANAL and wanted it to appear factory, that's how I do everything. It's a blessing and a curse.

I had to custom make a bracket for the radio to mount it on the bottom. It was pretty easy to do. I just used an old radio bracket and trimmed as needed. I then used aluminum bar stock to build the brackets for the gauges.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Make sure to get all the pinging out. That's the most detrimental to the motor short term. I wouldn't drive it very much at all without some timing adjustment.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Yep, right around 30 hours, of course that included all the wiring, etc as well, but just getting them mounted was at least 2/3 of the time involved. I'm ANAL and wanted it to appear factory, that's how I do everything. It's a blessing and a curse.

I had to custom make a bracket for the radio to mount it on the bottom. It was pretty easy to do. I just used an old radio bracket and trimmed as needed. I then used aluminum bar stock to build the brackets for the gauges.
Yeah, i have got a friend like that, we can't work together. He is always wanting to do everything perfect and i want to do it good enough and get it done.

We both have our place. some things i will let him do and some things i will do better (aka, actually get them done, he has countless projects that will never get done that i could finish in a day or 2).

Make sure to get all the pinging out. That's the most detrimental to the motor short term. I wouldn't drive it very much at all without some timing adjustment.
I have actually not heard it ping yet. Course i am running 93oct gas and iI have 2 large cans of oct booster i had laying around in it. So by my guess i am running 96 - 99 oct gas.

And i left the stock timing map in place, i just zeroed out the fuel map. but i won;t be driving it hard today, the hardest it might get is getting on the highway. It is also cold out so even less chance of ping.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, you would think that they would have.
Or even better, why not name them map T and map F.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Or even better, why not name them map T and map F.
Best idea yet!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

ok, so i had more time today then i thought i would and did some tuning.

I have the AFRs down below 13 under boost now and under 12 for high boost. Just need to fine tune it now.

The real problem i have run into is that my truck seems to go into open loop strange. Whenever i let OFF the gas it goes into open loop and only goes into open loop when i have the gas to the floor. that normal? Due to this is is harder to keep the AFR's consistant.

Speedy, you have more or less my same setup, if you wanted to send me your maps i would not complain. My maps are working but all they are is using th autofil option and putting is some guesstments that happened to be pretty close.

Now the only thing bad i have noticed is that i get a misfire/stumble at random places for random reasons. Not ping but like a misfire. not much and usually when at part throttle in low RPM's when free revving.

Now i do have a small exahust leak where the shop welded my header flange, this is making things sound a bit differnt then normal, add to that the new sounds of the SC and i am not sure what is normal and what is not.

There is also a funny smell i am getting here and there after i make a run, but i think that is due to the exahsut leak being before the cat.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Whenever i let OFF the gas it goes into open loop and only goes into open loop when i have the gas to the floor. that normal?
Pretty normal, should go into open loop at about 80% throttle IIRC and during hard decelerations.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Pretty normal, should go into open loop at about 80% throttle IIRC and during hard decelerations.
Yep.

Get the exhaust leak fixed. You'll need a good ear to get it tuned correctly and an exhaust leak won't help things.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Well then i guess i am on, i will need to get that AFR calabrator though, it is running SUPER lean in close loop. Like off the charts lean until it hits open loop/the 7th injector kicks in. Might need to have the 7th come on early before boost if it keeps up.

Yep.

Get the exhaust leak fixed. You'll need a good ear to get it tuned correctly and an exhaust leak won't help things.
Yeah, i plan to take it to the shop tomorrow. It didn't leak for the first few days but i guess after a few heat/cool cycles it decided to start. It is sloly getting worse, looks like one of the welds popped and is growing. At least it is easily fixable!

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 11-16-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Well i was out doing some "Tuning" and decided to take it out of 4wd to see if i really needed to have that engaged.

Well i was on a back-road and stepped on the gas, not even to the floor, and boy howdy! it lit up the back end!

Said i was going 70+mph when i was doing about 5 and kept spinning for a good few hundred feet! considering that no matter what i did before the SC it would not even chirp the tires i have to say it has just a little more power lol.

I have even got it to chirp the tires in 4wd, THAT was impressive, and i still have to install the 2.2 pulley!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Well then i guess i am on, i will need to get that AFR calabrator though, it is running SUPER lean in close loop. Like off the charts lean until it hits open loop/the 7th injector kicks in. Might need to have the 7th come on early before boost if it keeps up.
Something's wrong then. It should be 14.7:1 in closed loop no matter what without the AFR Calibrator. Even if you add fuel in closed loop the stock ECU will just remove fuel from the stock injectors to maintain 14.7:1. I know this from experience.

If you're going lean in closed loop there is an issue somewhere.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

that is very possible, but what could it be?

It does stay right at 14.7, within +/-.5 anyways, when idling but any type of driving and it goes all over the place, virtually always lean unless i drive the exact same speed/RPM for a litle bit then it will even out to about 14.7. But during normal driving it likes to stay pretty lean for some reason.

Tomorrow i plan to do some more work on it and have to get the exahust fixed anyways. I will pay close attention tot he AFR's when driving in closed loop and see what they do.

I wounder if maybe my O2 sensor could be bad? How to test that though seeing as they are not cheap?

I wounder if maybe the rear O2 and the front are the same and i could swap them hoping that the CAT has kept the rear one cleaner? Any ideas?

Good news though is i was driving it to the store a little bit ago and my quick tune is better then i thought it would be. at WOT it is 12.5 until about ~2500rpm then it drops to about ~11.5:1 and stays that way until i let off (have not taken it to redline yet). Timing also seems to be on fairly good, but need to check that on the OBD.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 11-16-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 PM

what do you fuel trims look like
Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

what do you fuel trims look like
Like numbers in boxes....lol

How do you explain it? it starts out with less fuel at 1psi and gets more fuel at higher psi and RPM's
Old 11-17-2008, 05:50 AM

you want to make the fuel trims add up to 0. And you want the fuel trims to be close to 0. So if SFT is 18 and LFT is -15 you would want to add fuel to get the trims closer to 0. The closer to 0 you are the more range the ecu has to make adjustments for whether and altitude. Why is you truck leaning out? MY 4-runner runs at 14.3-14.9 all the time until i go in to open loop. the 2 places i go into open loop are hard accelerations, and engine braking. I will define engine braking as any time i am off the gas over 1500 rpms, or if am on the brake over about 1000 rpms. I am a 5 speed so I might see more of this then you will. When you are not in the boost your should be running 14.5 ish if not you have a vacuum leak.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

you want to make the fuel trims add up to 0. And you want the fuel trims to be close to 0. So if SFT is 18 and LFT is -15 you would want to add fuel to get the trims closer to 0. The closer to 0 you are the more range the ecu has to make adjustments for whether and altitude. Why is you truck leaning out? MY 4-runner runs at 14.3-14.9 all the time until i go in to open loop. the 2 places i go into open loop are hard accelerations, and engine braking. I will define engine braking as any time i am off the gas over 1500 rpms, or if am on the brake over about 1000 rpms. I am a 5 speed so I might see more of this then you will. When you are not in the boost your should be running 14.5 ish if not you have a vacuum leak.
Well as i said the fuel trims are pretty much temporary right now until i figure out this lean out problem and get the AFR calabrator. But even with that being said the AFR's are almost exactly where they need to be under boost, just need to fine tune it.

If i was to remove fuel to get the trims closer to 0 then it would get leaner. So i don't know how i would do that? It really sounds like you are talking about the timing trims, those i know i want to add up to the 20 degrees the truck runs stock.

As for the lean out, i think i will make a video later today of the gages. Might help ya'll understand what is going on. I am starting to think it might be the O2 sensor, it is the OEM one with 125k on it. just might be the problem but i am not sure.

Going to see what the tempreture does today, if it warms up i have a few projects i need to do.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Well as i said the fuel trims are pretty much temporary right now until i figure out this lean out problem and get the AFR calabrator. But even with that being said the AFR's are almost exactly where they need to be under boost, just need to fine tune it.

If i was to remove fuel to get the trims closer to 0 then it would get leaner. So i don't know how i would do that? It really sounds like you are talking about the timing trims, those i know i want to add up to the 20 degrees the truck runs stock.

As for the lean out, i think i will make a video later today of the gages. Might help ya'll understand what is going on. I am starting to think it might be the O2 sensor, it is the OEM one with 125k on it. just might be the problem but i am not sure.

Going to see what the tempreture does today, if it warms up i have a few projects i need to do.
I think you're confused. Fuel trims are shown in your OBDII tool, NOT in the R4 Software you use to map the truck. Two totally different things. Go back and look in the U-Tune AIC guide to understand the fuel trims.

As for leaning out....when you're on a steady throttle in closed loop it should be right around 14.7:1. If you let off the gas, it will go lean for a minute and bounce around as that's fuel cut mode. Look for 14.7:1 when maintaining a nice steady easy pressure on the gas cruising.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:09 AM

I am not talking about timing at all. where did you get 20* from? if you want to talk about timing lets do that but you problem is fuel right now.

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!