Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I hope this works out for ya! If I have any problems with my install Im coming straight to this thread...I think you have to have covered it all by now

BTW, Gadget is the man!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Speedy
O2 sensors are SENSITIVE. If you have an exhaust leak anywhere around that sensor you'll never get a real reading.
Yeah, that is what gadget and AEM said too.

I didn't even know about ti until i got down there to look at it and make sure it was hooked up right and had the engine running. it is real small so you can't really hear it but unless you are right there next to it.

Well the good news if this is the case is that my truck is now in better shape then ever after having the motorvac done! best $100 i have spent so far. The performance differnce in vacume is very noticable and need to re-tune to feel the differnce in boost.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM

No Update??
Old 12-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bgmac
No Update??
Not much to update right now, been so busy this last week I have not even driven it.

Still need to get the Exahust leak fixed, which i am now pretty much sure if my whole problem.

and still need to retune it and hope that brings my power back. Either i have adjusted to the extra power or there is not as much now as when i first installed the SC,with the stock pulley no less. But my tune is off a little so i think/hope that will fix it.

I did fill up my RX7 today for $1.29 a gallon. ;-)

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 12-06-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Went for the first drive in it in a while a little bit ago and the power is actually about the same as before but the tune is a lot further off then i thought it was. My injectors must have been real dirty, it wsa right on before cleaning but now it is dipping into the mid 10's.

So some retuning and i should get a lot more power.

One thing that really has me stumped is that i am now getting boost as high as 9psi. Why would the boost go up for no reason? max i could get when i first installed the 2.2 was 7.5. now i can get ~8.5-9ish easy. That is odd.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM

Wouldn't the exhaust leak be putting excess O2 in the exhaust? causing the ecu to compensate with more fuel, thus resulting in a rich condition? not lean?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by project91
Wouldn't the exhaust leak be putting excess O2 in the exhaust? causing the ecu to compensate with more fuel, thus resulting in a rich condition? not lean?
If the leak was on the ECU O2 sensor you are correct but it is on the wideband o2 sensor. It is not near big enough to effect how the truck runs but it is making the Wideband read lean even though i am almost positive it is perfect.

The real problem is how to fix the leak, the thread are stipped where the exahust shop tapped the stock o2 sensor port. So they will have to weld a new bung in but there is not really any place to put a new one....
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Nothing going on?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by project91
Nothing going on?
Not really, i did some more tuning the other day and got it in the mid 11's. Extra power was quite noticeable.

Everythign seems to be running great, no problems other thent he exahust leak (which i am now virtually 100% sure was the reason for all my problems since day one).

Extra power is VERY noticable, i can't drive in 2wd anymore. If i do and give it a little too much gas i will just leave long black streaks, instead of actually going anywhere. In 4wd though it is quite fun to be at a stoplight and take off with what sounds like a stock truck.

Though even in 4wd, if i stomp on it from a dead stop, i can feel the tires spin for just a second. we are talking some real power here. It was wet the other day and even in 4wd I stompped it and just sat there spinning. Was an interesting feeling to say the least.

Course part of my traction problems come from bad tires but still.

Overall, i am VERY happy with the truck performance wise. and it is getting closer to what i want from it.

Next thing on my list is to get my hood painted then tires, small lift, new shocks and springs all around, a shokworks bumper, some armor, locker(s), then i will move inside. But anything else except for tires will have to wait until i get my MR2 running, it plans to take all my $$$ for the forseable future.

After that though it will be a fight between the RX7 LS1 swap and the 4runner.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, so yesterday it warmed up a little and i was able to look at a few things.

First off i was wounderign why the amount of boost i get varies. Sometimes i only get 6psi max, other times i get almost 9psi. Looked at everything and can't figure out a reason why it would change like that?

Only thing i was able to come up with is that the belt might be slipping? i know that with the stock pulley i was able to spin the engine if i put a sockect on the nut of the SC (found this out when changint pulleys) But with the new one the pulley just spins inside the belt.

I also noticed that the dynamic tenisner "viberates" when at idle? If i rev it a little it smooths out. no idea on that one, i just know it didn't do it with the old pulley.

My altornator also burnt out, but they sent me a replacement out right away. I swapped them out and noticed that the first one was slightly differnt then the stock one or the second one i got.

Swapped them out again and so far this one is working fine, voltage is a little low though at around 14.0 volts, should it be closer to 14.4v? my battery is low right now though due to the bad altornator. So it might come up a little when the battery gets fully charged.

Power wise, it can run my headlights, foglights and my cooling fans when at idle fine. if can almost handle 2 hellas but the voltage starts to drop after that. If i rev it up to 1500 it can run all of the above and all the lights on the front without a problem.

Not sure what kind of amprage that is puuling but it seems like it should have more to give if it is really 160 amps. by my calculations i am pulling about another 35 amps overstock MAX, seeing as the stock alt is 85 amps. I should still have a fair amount of headroom IMO but i don't. If i flip by backup lights on voltage drops to battery voltage.

It has more power then the stock alt, but not am much as they say IMO. Though it could be that charging my battery is eating a lot of the power and after it is fully charged it will have more power, i will wait until then to fully judge it.

Anyone know how to messure the amps the alt is putting out? or i am using? or anything?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 AM

A multimeter across the alt should tell you the amps. Just make sure you have the multi meter on the right setting.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

A multimeter across the alt should tell you the amps. Just make sure you have the multi meter on the right setting.
Never thought of that, i guess i would put the positive on the main plug and then groud the other side? seeing as i can't get at the 3 wires in the back of the alt?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 AM

in regards to the boost i some time see changed in the PSI, depending on air temp. But I have only seen 1psi deference for 9.5 to 8.5 on the R4 software.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ian Rogers
in regards to the boost i some time see changed in the PSI, depending on air temp. But I have only seen 1psi deference for 9.5 to 8.5 on the R4 software.
Yeah, i seen that kind of change almost daily on my boost gauge.

but sometimes i will go WOT and see boost go up to almost 9psi vs the normal 6.5 - 7.5. i can feel the extra power as well.

Just can't figure out what the problem is and as strange as it sounds it seems to have had moer power with the stock pulley then the 2.2 as well.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:19 PM

gauges are almost always wrong, what do you see in the r4 software?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ian Rogers
gauges are almost always wrong, what do you see in the r4 software?
The same as what my gauge reads, lol.

My gauge reads about 0.4psi low but it is pretty easy to compensate for that and seeing a jump from 7psi to 9psi is pretty noticable.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, update on the Ace altornater.

I think i am going to have to change my opioun on them. This new one i got is also looking ot be going out. My battery totally died the other day and i didn't leave anything on.

Plus i know for a fact it was not putting out anything close to the rated power. I reinstalled the stock alt and did some testing, i got 1 extra light on with the ace alt over the stock one. That is about 4 amps.

Needless to say the ace alt suer as heck is not putting out 160 amps.

So i am going to try to return the ace alt, we will see what happens. I am going to look into that place that goat had his alt rebuilt at.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace

Anyone know how to messure the amps the alt is putting out?
This may help: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/elect...a122700a_2.htm
Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Here's what Roger said about how to test the full output:
https://www.yotatech.com/51013711-post30.html
Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I am going to look into that place that goat had his alt rebuilt at.
Here's where I heard about it:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ight=Boyle%27s

Some more info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nators-122787/

Make sure you double box it and well padded with foam (not paper) and ask for them to return it double boxed too.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-01-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!