Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 49 state truck witch has an o2 sensor rather then the AF sensor that the dual cat truck had. But that said, My AFR swings between 14.4 and 14.8 back and forth the hole time.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Speedy
Nope, when I'm on light throttle I'm right at 14.7:1 (maybe 14.5 or 14.8 but not off from that).

You must have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Yeah i might have a vacume leak, though before i reset the ECU again it was getting to about the same as yours. I just can't figure out why it is so lean when it is learning. I would think it would error on the rich side.

Originally Posted by Ian Rogers
I have a 49 state truck witch has an o2 sensor rather then the AF sensor that the dual cat truck had. But that said, My AFR swings between 14.4 and 14.8 back and forth the hole time.
After it learns some it gets to that point where it is just like that but each time i reset it, it hunts from 14 to 16. Ya'll really don't do that when you reset it? runs the same AFR's even after a reset?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 AM

it might, might go from 14.3 - 14.9 but it is always in the 14 after a re-set. Have you tried the propane vacuum leak test, take an unlit propane torch and pass it around the motor and any place you might have a leak. If there is a leak, you will hear the RPM's go up.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

it might, might go from 14.3 - 14.9 but it is always in the 14 after a re-set. Have you tried the propane vacuum leak test, take an unlit propane torch and pass it around the motor and any place you might have a leak. If there is a leak, you will hear the RPM's go up.
I use the brake cleaner test personally but i plan to do that today. Last night it was just too dang cold to keep working (hey i am from Texas, 110 degrees, bring it on, under 50, forget it, should it actually get to 32 and we have some ice, we bolt the doors. lol)
Old 11-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, so i went out and messed with it some more and am even more confused.

It does indeed act EXACTLY like a vacume leak but i can not find any leaks at all.

So i decided to make my own leak, and it gets richer? i then blocked off the evap vacume hose (thus cutting the amount of air getting to the engine) and it gets leaner? Really i pinch the hose and the AFR's go lean, i let it go and it gets richer.

I sprayed the entire intake down with brake cleaner and could not find any leaks. I also used propane with the same results.. But then with the leak i made by un-plugging a hose i put some brake fluid in that and could not tell much of a differnce either. So who knows if there is a leak or not. Any other ways to tell?

Here is a video i made of the AFR's:

[YOUTUBE]J-bZZDGV-xI[/YOUTUBE]

As you can see it idles pretty lean at when driving at say 10% - 20% throttle it is real lean but i go above that and it gets about perfect at 14.7. If i go WOT it gets way rich.

And as i said in the video, it does seem to be a vacume leak but i just can't seem to find one.

I hate to admit it but this just might haev got the best of me. Though i am starting to wounder again if my O2 sensor could be bad. You see how it likes to idle at around 15.4 instead of 14.7? makes me wounder if it is bad and this could awnser everything.

Ideas?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Did you do a free air calibration on your AFR sensor before installing it in the exhaust pipe. Could not be set right. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mokai
Did you do a free air calibration on your AFR sensor before installing it in the exhaust pipe. Could not be set right. Just a thought.
I thought of that too, but in the instructions it doesn't say to do that, just install and use.

Even if it is off a little i can hear the engine idle change as the mixture changes past 16:1 lean. So it is not too far off.

I might give AEM a call though.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, i really hate to admit it but i think that my truck finally got the best of me. I have used every last penny i can afford on it and am just plain out of money, out od ideas and can't afford to be out of a truck.

All i know is that it is running lean, no vacume leaks that i can find or any other reason.

I don't even want to know what my EGT are, but they are WAY high i have not even done any WOT runs as of late. I also don't want to think about what kind of damage i have already done to the engine/other componets.

So at this point i am giving it one more chance before pulling the SC off and selling it. The only thing i can think of that could be causing it to run lean that i have not checked is the O2 sensor.

I plan to order a new one today and try that. When the truck is first started it doesn't use the o2 sensor due to it not being hot enough right? Well fo the first 5 - 10 seconds after starting it when cold, the AFR's sit PERFECT at 14.6 - 14. 8. But then all of the sudden out of no where the AFR's go bonkers like in the video above.

I am praying that this is due to a bad O2 sensor. I am prety sure this is the stock O2 sensor and it has 125k miles on it so it is not out of the question at all.

If the O2 sensor fixes it then great i get to keep the SC, if it doesn't though then anyone want a 100% working Supercharger setup with all the bells and whistels? Seriosly, I want to know if there is any intrest. I would sell it cheap, basically what i paid for it, say about ~$2000 - ~$2500, i would have to figure out what all goes with it and exact how much i paid thugh but that is the ball park.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM

i would look at you AFR gauge that you have installed, when i start my truck before it warms up and gos in to closed loop my afr is in the 12's once warmed it jumps up to 14's. I think you need to look at every aspect of the install. I used new intake gaskets, just to prevent leaks. is the check valve in the right way on the IAV
Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Have you e-mailed gadget? I think that would be my next step if i was you.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

i would look at you AFR gauge that you have installed, when i start my truck before it warms up and gos in to closed loop my afr is in the 12's once warmed it jumps up to 14's. I think you need to look at every aspect of the install. I used new intake gaskets, just to prevent leaks. is the check valve in the right way on the IAV
I checked the AFR gauge a few times, it says it self calabrates everytime it is turned on.

Plus i can tell that the engien runs differnt as the gauge changes. It may be off a little but as a whole it is pretty much right on from what i can tell.

I re-used the old gaskects but they were like new, still real rubbery.

IAV? Never heard that before, whats it stand for? I have checkd and re-checked the vacume lines, and they all look right. What dose conuse me though is that if i pinch a vacume line like the evap line so that it no longer lets air intot he engine, it gets leaner? i would think it would get richer.

Have you e-mailed gadget? I think that would be my next step if i was you.
I haven't e-mailed him but i talked to him the other day when i mixed up the fuel lines. He was in a hurry and wasn't able to talk much.

I mighgt try calling again tomorrow and giving this truck one last chance. I really like the extra power, i just can't afford to blow the engine which is what i would do if it keeps running this hot/lean.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:10 PM

idle air valve hose (thing on the under side of the TB) there is a hose that runs from the TB to the lower intake and you need to install a check valve in it. Did you put this in? is it the right way?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

idle air valve hose (thing on the under side of the TB) there is a hose that runs from the TB to the lower intake and you need to install a check valve in it. Did you put this in? is it the right way?
Oh, yeah i remember this. I had to get that from Toyota because it didn't come with my SC.

It is installed and i am 99% sure it is the right way. I will pinch the hose though and see what that does.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Well I know your still working out the kinks with the supercharger. But i am curious on the sound of your headers. From the short video you posted it sounds pretty good, but Id like to hear more. Is there anyway you can post a video from behind the truck at idle and at higher RPM? How the sound in the cab? I worried that I would get too mch drone inside and go nuts if I was driving more than a hour or so.

Of course I understand your probably stressed with the AFR issue, but I thought I would ask. I hope it all works out for ya! Im following this thread for reference.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by skrassow
Well I know your still working out the kinks with the supercharger. But i am curious on the sound of your headers. From the short video you posted it sounds pretty good, but Id like to hear more. Is there anyway you can post a video from behind the truck at idle and at higher RPM? How the sound in the cab? I worried that I would get too mch drone inside and go nuts if I was driving more than a hour or so.

Of course I understand your probably stressed with the AFR issue, but I thought I would ask. I hope it all works out for ya! Im following this thread for reference.
Not a problem, i am going to make a few videos once i get this worked out showing all sorts of stuff. I am trying to find the best format to upload to youtube though, the videos i uploaded look bad when they really are pretty nice.

As for the header sound, when hooked up to the stock exahust it sound about the same volume only with a lower "more powerful" tone.

Inside the cab it sound close to the same except when you really open it up, then it is a little louder then stock.

Headers alone just give you a lower tone, volume is not changed that much. Now if you were to replace the muffler as well then you could get any sound you wanted.

The first video i posted was running open headers, it was obiously MUCH louder then it is now. The second video is what it sounds like now. I have to admit that open headers sounded REALLY sexy! just far to loud.

Keep watching the thread, after i get it running right i will post a few videos to show everything off. And hopfully some dyno numbers.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, today i called gadget and talked to him about it. Basically he said that it is most likely one of 2 things.

It could be my O2 sensor, so i ordered one from URD.

Or it could be my wideband is off like was suggested before.

So i will see what the O2 sensor does first, should be in in a few days.

If that doesn't help then i am going to go old school and look at the EGT's and see what they say.

If it still won't run right then i will have a complete ready to install Supercharger kit for sale.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Have a pro look at it before you give up since this has been quite a project just to sell it all.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Have a pro look at it before you give up since this has been quite a project just to sell it all.
I would love to do just that, problem is? what pro?

Trust me i have talked to everyone that would know anything about this and i know more then all of them (which says a lot)

I am more or less on my own with this sadly.

I would hate to remove it as well, i just can not afford to kill my engine. I already need to rebuild my MR2 engine and the only other car i have to get around in is the RX7. And that though relible so far i would not trust as my sole form of transportation. Plus i hual stuff a fair amount nad ned the space of the 4runner.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 PM

are you seeing your AFR bounce around in vacuum.... if thats the case its not the SC. I think that you AFR gauge is bunc
Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

are you seeing your AFR bounce around in vacuum.... if thats the case its not the SC. I think that you AFR gauge is bunc
If you watch that last video that is pretty much what it does.

at idle it hunts for the AFR.

Driving along in vacume it doesn't hunt as much though it does a little. Maily just runs rich.

Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's 200 4Runner Build up Stage-2! The Supercharger Adventure Begins!