Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't think I better make any comment on possible shens. haha

Hey, has the bad hail, tornados, etc. been missing your area?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
So far it's been pretty quiet rw.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:07 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why you had no issues with the spare tire crane with your body lift. I had to bend and pry and tweak both the spare tire crossmember, the cable crane thing's housing, the body where the handle goes in front and rear. And still, it's a struggle to get the handle to work.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Telling you....shens.

(and why didn't I think of that?)

You can have the spare winch off the 96 when I get my bumper.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never posted any photos anywhere of my own '96 SR5 V6 5-speed with factory e-locker, so now finally making its debut... sliders will finally get welded on this weekend!
Name:  4Runnerfront_zps7ddbfb3b.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  86.3 KB
Name:  4Runnerrear_zpseb5f92b4.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  149.6 KB
Name:  4Runnerside_zpsb0d195df.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  118.2 KB

Last edited by hrt4me; 06-27-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Hi!
Hope you guys had a great day on your special day.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

rw- Whoa! You remembered? We made it a good day. Woke up in Winter Park at the excellent camp spot we'd snagged and had biscuits and gravy at the Sunrise Cafe that weren't too good (Mountain Rose is so much better. Too expensive, but sooo much tastier. I wanted to try something new, silly me).

Tried hiking a loop we like at Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park. First we had to take the tram up and IAMNEVERNEVERNEVERGOINGTODOTHATAGAINNEXTTIMEI'LLWA LKUPRATHERTHANGETONTHATPACKEDSARDINETINTHEYCALLABU SOOHTHATISNOTGOODFORSOMEONELIKEMEOHNOITISSOWRONG, once we got up there the trail was also packed but we rightly thought it'd ease up once we got past the falls and it did but then

a thunderstorm WHICHISANOTHERTHINGI'MNOTSOGOODWITHRUNANDHIDEAUGHH HH made it's debut so we ended up going down the mountain rather than up.
We ended up back at the truck so avoided the tram that in case you hadn't noticed I can't claim to being fond of and had a nice hike we hadn't done before to show for it. Not too shabby.

After we headed next for the east portal side of Rollins Pass to camp. Got passed going up the hill by a 2nd gen that gave us a friendly Toyota beep (I should have American horn beeped him back, but it was late and dark and anyway....), managed to find a flat camp spot that wasn't spectacular but any port in a storm (well, just rain, and only until just before we finished eating), had bread, wine cheese and cherries and Went. To. Bed.

What a day. Heard fireworks, didn't see any. That's okay. We prolly should have done Pole Hill in Estes Park but were afraid there'd be people up late partying up there. It would have been a lot stormier up that way anyway, all we got was that bit of rain at Rollins. Wish I'd had time to drive it though, but like I said, we were already facing finding a camp spot in the near dark as it was.

That's prolly more than you really wanted to know....

Last edited by habanero; 07-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
hrt4me- WOW! You'd better make sure you have some fun with that thing!!!!
It's really come together beautifully. What sliders and in which length did you end up with (and, being pic whores, you know pics are totally okay here, hint pics hint hint pics)?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab!
Yes, I did remember. Some things stick in my old gray matter from time to time and that one did after I read it in this or another thread.

That's the longest run-on word I've ever seen. Filed: Hab does not like the tram (and neither do I)! We have one in Portland at a hospital where my sister works...did it once, enough for me.

Now, we await the trip pics.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-06-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

My favorite wheely spots this past couple of weeks:
Elephant Hill in Needles at Canyonlands NP (and the camp spot could not be beat)
and
Teapot Canyon in the Maze, again at Canyonlands.

the hubby drove up Mineral Creek outside Ouray or that'd be on my list too.

Going to bed. You know there's going to be more to this story later.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 266,xxx miles

Casualties so far:
1 headlight bulb, airbox side = replaced
1 rear wheel bearing ka-blooeyed = put in old axle...happened to be the same side I'd had new bearings put in awhile ago- glad I hung onto it.
1 sway bar bushing, front right = need to order....at least the poly lasted longer than the rubber ones, so more poly
1 rear upper control arm bolt = ordered....had replaced with stuff from the local hardware in Lake City but will be replacing with oem

So far the most involved was the right axle swap and even that is pull wheel, disconnect brake line, disconnect parking brake cable, 4 bolts, pull out, replace with 'new', reverse procedure, add gear oil to replace what leaked out, bleed brakes.
Bearing chunks fell out when I pulled the axle and the drum was wobbling on the axle. The ball bearings were still in place, the chunks appeared to be maybe some of the race.
Went ahead and drained/ replaced the diff oil too, that and the magnetic plug looked good. No chunks there, just at the wheel.

If the drum isn't cooperating in being removed there are 2 threaded holes among the studs. Find a couple of long enough bolts and evenly screw them in. Drum will pop off.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Wheel bearing died on the trip?
I'm just wrapping up replacing the e-brake cables...they were getting worn. Will put the dash trim back in place in the morning before work when it's cooler. About 95f in the garage now.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

Whew, that's warm! It was something around that outside the garage here, but at least there was a tiny little breeze.

When I put the axle on the truck it sounded fine. I should have pulled them then anyway, but everything looked fine with no leaks or sounds and the axle oil that came out was dirty but had no junk in it. It started making noise shortly after. Not a rumble or growl, just a shh shh shh sound I'd been meaning to get 'round to beyond pulling the abs sensors to make sure they weren't rubbing (they weren't at that point). It was still making that sound when I pulled in the driveway Sunday, but a little louder and the hubby had been detecting a slight wheel wobble while we were out and about.
When I looked for signs of oil on the tire it was dry- until Monday morning when I could see the drum had leaked out some overnight. FINALLY pulled the axle and it was immediately obvious there was a problem. I should've chased that noise down a lot earlier.

You've been maintenance busy lately, haven't you?

Last edited by habanero; 07-08-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Yeah, something bad probably happened to the locker donor vehicle's right rear. Whacked the tire, slightly bent the axle shaft, and damaged the bearing.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Colorado/Utah

Pulled an all night drive, got to Rampart Range around 4am. Quick nap and short hike up to Devil's Head look-out.

Lunch at Panteleone's in Denver and over to Winter Park to camp. Had breakfast at Mountain Rose (good! kinda expensive, but good!), a quick hike a little outside of town

and off to Moab. Hiked Negro Bill upon arrival. Camped up at Sand Flats and walked the Slickrock practice loop in the morning before breakfast at Moab Diner.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

That's a bummer on the axle issue especially if tweaked in a wreck at some point. You'll have it all fixed up pronto.

I've been trying to do a few preventative maintenance things on the rig each summer. This summer the bad parking brake cable caught my attention.

Oh, and getting hotter here...102-106 for Friday through Sunday. Thankfully, we have very low humidity.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-08-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

After breakfast went to Arches NP and hiked the trail that has Landscape Arch. We did the loop beyond it going counter-clockwise (get the bulk of the sand out of the way first). It's a nice hike.

For lunch we went to Milt's but IT'S CLOSED ON MONDAY. Sadness. Had lunch at some Mexican joint and got some park playtime in (a green shady spot in Moab! really!) and then did the south side of Fins and Things. That was fun, very steep ups and downs.

I can't see anything but sky here, at least until the hubby standing at the bottom backed up enough I could see him. He kindly spotted me down. It was not the steepest spot...

And what I considered to be the hardest obstacle on the section we did looks like nothing here...

The hubby flexing up out of our campsite...

And a morning pic of Baby Lion's Back...

I'm told that puddle is very stinky.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
That's a bummer on the axle issue especially if it been tweaked in a wreck at some point. You'll have it all fixed up pronto.

I've been trying to do a few preventative maintenance things on the rig each summer. This summer the bad parking brake cable caught my attention.

Oh, and getting hotter here...102-106 for Friday through Sunday. Thankfully, we have very low humidity.
It's a dry heat...
80's today here. Humidity? Yes!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Canyonlands national Park- Maze District
Camped at Panorama Point, Dollhouse 2, Standing Rock
Hiked to the Granary near Dollhouse and also down to Harvest Scene with return via Pete's Mesa.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

See the road? We're already on it...

Pack it in, pack it out. ALL of it. Yes, that's what you might be thinking it is. I thought the logo on the bucket fitting...

hitchhiker in my grille

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread