Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
sounds like you and the fam had a great trip, im still jealous about your trip last year. I used to camp at Wilson lake when I was a kid. Glad you made it home safe and sound. Sounds like the runner performed great.
After a couple of weeks of camping near nobody Wilson lake is crowded, but it's a nice area. I haven't ridden the bike trail yet but it looks interesting. This time we were driving into Never Summer when we heard this huge BANG!. The 4Runner's always got a noise or two for me to dwell on but this time it was the rear tire on the hubby's Elsworth. So much for riding Wilson.
Originally Posted by Red Wagon
Great trip shots. Thanks for sharing.

You still on the trip now?
Got back Saturday afternoon. I wish I was on the trip still.
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing, sister Hab! Those are just incredible pictures... But more importantly they put me in a place that makes me feel the urgency to get out there! Maybe not there, specifically, but I have had some incredibly cool hikes through the Grand Canyon and dolomite mines and Ice Caves up in the Angeles Crest... I desperately need to get out there and I thank you for the push!

I have many more but I will chill upon your thread! Lol... Sorry
No problem, your thread does the same for me. Your flowers are beautiful as always. I weeded 7 rows yesterday, hope to get at least another 7 done today, plus tie up the tomatoes. After that, the flower gardens. Deer keep dropping babies in them, maybe I should wait a little longer. Four deer have been born in one garden or another so far. I've only got 3/4 of an acre....
here's 3 of them hanging out together...

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilson was a pretty primitive place the last time I was there, of course that was 30 years ago. Sucks about the tire, change in altitude does strange things to compressed air.

I know they're a pain for your garden, but cool pic of the deer.

Last edited by jason in tn; 06-24-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

I like the deer too, little buggers.

We figured the Tipperary downhill in Winterpark damaged the tire. You can prolly imagine the look on my face when I heard it while driving!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
I like the deer too, little buggers.

We figured the Tipperary downhill in Winterpark damaged the tire. You can prolly imagine the look on my face when I heard it while driving!
Lol yep I can imagine.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 254,783

Pulled the e-brake cable. Hardest part was getting the rod out of the brake handle. Wait: hardest part so far...

I've still gotta order one and stick it in there.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
You go sista! Get that ordered and swap it out now...

Edited for fear of angering the hottest lil pepper on Yotatech!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-10-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aww look at the baby deer!

Did you break your parking brake cable?

I have, I think I need to get a longer one. I think my body lift made it too short.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Habanero, can you give me more information on Tipperary in Winter Park? We will be there in two weeks, and I'm looking for things to do...

Also, I could use a part from your e-brake cable if the one you pulled is scrap now... please let me know; thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Chef, now you know there is nothing your good hearted self could say to incur pepper wrath!

Red Wagon- Brake vs break AND used correctly? Who are you???
17 years old and in the salt belt for 8 of them, the cable isn't wanting to release. Before it was just freezing stuck when cold and wet but now it's sticking all the time.
If it helps, my parking brake cable has an simple extension piece between the rear axle and the parking brake cable bracket that normally bolts there. It's maybe 3" long bolt to bolt. It gives the cable a little extra slack on the 3rd gen. Maybe if you can't find a longer cable look for places to make up the lack of length? It'll be interesting to see what you've come up with or what you're going to come up with.

hrt4me- DO IT!!!!! Pick up a map in Winterpark at the info center. You'll see the elk statue in front of it, a McD's across the street and a nice park with good bathrooms next to it. The trail's actually in Frasier (Leaving Planet Earth).
Once in Frasier, there's a cheapo grocery store in a strip mall with a taco bell/kfc on your left if you're coming from Winter Park. Park there. If you need it there's a bike shop in that same strip with decent people. Ride out of the Taco Bell side of the strip mall, turning left away from the highway and soon going onto gravel. After the railroad underpass is a right onto (I think) St. Louis Creek Rd. (Check map) Ride that until it dead-ends into another road. The singletrack is right across the street in front of you. Easy uphill singletrack along the road for awhile until it turns away. Away from the road it's got great flow, like you're going through the trees but no trees. Darned Pine beetles. It still feels good to ride. It dead ends at a road and here's where you want the map because I don't know how to tell you it hops over to another road and you climb up gravel for awhile before you finally hit the trail on the left. I'm always afraid I've missed it but then it seems obvious when I do finally get to it. You aren't on a tandem, you'll get there faster. You've been climbing the whole time but now it's for reals. It's the switchbacks that get me on the tandem. Climb climb climb. There is a creek crossing at the bottom of the real stuff and one nearer the top. Once you hit that second one the climb gets easier and you have about a mile of up left to do. Keep going until you hit the obvious rest spot (has some signage there about snowmobiles or something). Enjoy the downhill, it's fantastic. Bunch of heaves, some on turns, catch some air if you're feeling it. When you get nearer the bottom it gets real grassy and green. Watch for slippy mud here. When you get to a gate and road you'll take a right and turn at the first left (Consult map). The first trail on that road is Creekside. Pass it and hit Flume. Roots and babyheads but still fast and fun. You'll come to a bench overlooking the creek and nearby, a junction. Take left for Creekside and an easier ride down or take right and hit Chainsaw. Now you'll be climbing again, not like that first climb but you're more tired now. Chainsaw ends at a gravel road. Make a right onto gravel and FLY back down to your car...watch the cattleguards and turns...you'll know you're back when you go back under the railroad underpass.

Get an earlier start- afternoon t-storms are a thing out there in summer.
There's free camping in Winter Park, no amenities. Gets pretty full on the weekends.
Also go up and check out the now closed railroad tunnel up in the mountains on the other side of the highway. A drive, then a short-ish scenic hike to see it. I can find the name if you need it. Rollins maybe? Bring jackets, it's cold/windy up there.
If you want any more specific info on stuff let me know and I'll do the best I can.

I've got to get another cable and will post up. Tell me what you want, if I can give it you can have it.

Last edited by habanero; 07-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Chef, now you know there is nothing your good hearted self could say to incur pepper wrath!

Red Wagon- Brake vs break AND used correctly? Who are you???
17 years old and in the salt belt for 8 of them, the cable isn't wanting to release. Before it was just freezing stuck when cold and wet but now it's sticking all the time.
If it helps, my parking brake cable has an simple extension piece between the rear axle and the parking brake cable bracket that normally bolts there. It's maybe 3" long bolt to bolt. It gives the cable a little extra slack on the 3rd gen. Maybe if you can't find a longer cable look for places to make up the lack of length? It'll be interesting to see what you've come up with or what you're going to come up with.

I try for proper grammar and speeling when I can.

I'll look into that. I'm moving so will need to get an inspection done. Having a working parking brake is one of those boxes needing to be ticked to pass eh.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Hab... I think it is nice kudo to you that all those Does chose your garden as the first thing they want their fawns to see when they arrive in this world.
Also it assures you of a nearby source of Venison should you ever start jonesing for some game meat... hmmm game meat... slurp...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM

Venison, soooo tasty.

Tasty meat has a cuteness to taste scale.

Veal hmmm and cute. Rabbit, cute and tasty.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

If only guys, if only. I could only ever shoot deer in the butt though, stupid big cute eyes. Don't even get me started on the idea of field dressing the thing. I'd have to tape those eyes closed or something. Stupid girl feelings.

Hardly ever see a rabbit here, too many red tail and coopers hawks, great horned and barred owls, fox and coyote. Sometimes a few pieces of rabbit. Kind of cool considering I live in a subdivision in the suburbs within 2 blocks of 2 busy highways. You can just see the back of a McMansion behind all that green stuff in the pic.

(heeheehee, speeling)

Last edited by habanero; 07-11-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM

hrt4me- DO IT!!!!! Pick up a map in Winterpark at the info center. You'll see the elk statue in front of it, a McD's across the street and a nice park with good bathrooms next to it. The trail's actually in Frasier (Leaving Planet Earth).
Once in Frasier, there's a cheapo grocery store in a strip mall with a taco bell/kfc on your left if you're coming from Winter Park. Park there. If you need it there's a bike shop in that same strip with decent people. Ride out of the Taco Bell side of the strip mall, turning left away from the highway and soon going onto gravel. After the railroad underpass is a right onto (I think) St. Louis Creek Rd. (Check map) Ride that until it dead-ends into another road. The singletrack is right across the street in front of you. Easy uphill singletrack along the road for awhile until it turns away. Away from the road it's got great flow, like you're going through the trees but no trees. Darned Pine beetles. It still feels good to ride. It dead ends at a road, and here's where you want the map because I don't know how to tell you it hops over to another road, and you climb up gravel for a while before you finally hit the trail on the left. I'm always afraid I've missed it, but then it seems obvious when I do finally get to it. You aren't on a tandem, you'll get there faster. You've been climbing the whole time, but now it's for reals. It's the switchbacks that get me on the tandem. Climb climb climb. There is a creek crossing at the bottom of the real stuff and one nearer the top. Once you hit that second one, the climb gets easier and you have about a mile of up left to do. Keep going until you hit the obvious rest spot (has some signage there about snowmobiles or something). Enjoy the downhill, it's fantastic. Bunch of heaves, some on turns, catch some air if you're feeling it. When you get nearer the bottom it gets real grassy and green. Watch for slippy mud here. When you get to a gate and road, you'll take a right and turn at the first left (Consult map). The first trail on that road is Creekside. Pass it and hit Flume. Roots and babyheads, but still fast and fun. You'll come to a bench overlooking the creek and nearby, a junction; take left for Creekside and an easier ride down or take right and hit Chainsaw. Now you'll be climbing again, not like that first climb, but you're more tired now. Chainsaw ends at a gravel road. Make a right onto gravel and FLY back down to your car...watch the cattleguards and turns... you'll know you're back when you go back under the railroad underpass.

Get an earlier start - afternoon t-storms are a thing out there in summer.
There's free camping in Winter Park, no amenities. Gets pretty full on the weekends.
Also go up and check out the now closed railroad tunnel up in the mountains on the other side of the highway. A drive, then a short-ish scenic hike to see it. I can find the name if you need it. Rollins maybe? Bring jackets, it's cold/windy up there.
If you want any more specific info on stuff let me know and I'll do the best I can.

I've got to get another cable and will post up. Tell me what you want, if I can give it you can have it.
Thanks for the tips! I am dropping off my wife in Winter Park for a week-long Women's Quest Retreat (mix of outdoor activities and spa pampering), so I've got a week to go disappear into the woods and do my own thing. We were considering just taking one of our Jetta TDIs from Dallas to Colorado simply to save on fuel costs, but I'm sure once I get there, I would wish I had my lifted 5-speed 4Runner with its rear e-locker to get me off the beaten path, and your post now makes me want to bring along my MTB too, along with her Jamis 650B...

This is the only piece I want from your e-Brake cable, if you can spare it:
Name:  cable_zps1edd78b9.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  141.6 KB
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

hrt4me- I am intrigued how you are going to use that part. I'll have to cut the cable to get it off because it's not gonna slide off in either direction. I don't mind doing that but if you're going to use it on your own cable how are you going to get it on there, cut the tube along the seam, slide in cable and stick it back together?
What I get should come with that bracket, I'll look for one online tonight 'cause nobody in town has it. All it's gonna cost you is an explanation to satisfy my curiosity and postage or how ever you want to work that out.

A whole week? Are you sticking to Winter Park area while she does her thing or??? I couldn't imaging being there without tent, truck, boots and bike but that's just me. I suppose whatever you do you'll want to stick to the more popular stuff since you'd be going it mostly alone. Rocky Mountain National park would be worth a couple of days exploring at least. We camped in Never Summer and drove in each day because Never Summer is free and there are too many people and elk at R.M. campgrounds and they sound really not what you'd expect them to sound like and not in a good way. I'm mostly talking about the elk.

You seem to have a gift for making me type a lot.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM

hrt4me- I am intrigued how you are going to use that part. I'll have to cut the cable to get it off because it's not gonna slide off in either direction. I don't mind doing that but if you're going to use it on your own cable how are you going to get it on there, cut the tube along the seam, slide in cable and stick it back together?
What I get should come with that bracket, I'll look for one online tonight 'cause nobody in town has it. All it's gonna cost you is an explanation to satisfy my curiosity and postage or how ever you want to work that out.
I wasn't quite sure about that part... because my own 4Runner is missing that bracket which holds the e-brake cable to the rear axle, I wasn't sure whether that bracket fully enclosed the cable or whether there was a split in it which I could spread enough to get around the cable... and for that matter, it makes me wonder where mine went in the first place...?

Anyway, I'll gladly pay postage to see whether I can make use of that bracket on my own 4Runner...

A whole week? Are you sticking to Winter Park area while she does her thing or??? I couldn't imaging being there without tent, truck, boots and bike but that's just me. I suppose whatever you do you'll want to stick to the more popular stuff since you'd be going it mostly alone. Rocky Mountain National park would be worth a couple of days exploring at least. We camped in Never Summer and drove in each day because Never Summer is free and there are too many people and elk at R.M. campgrounds and they sound really not what you'd expect them to sound like and not in a good way. I'm mostly talking about the elk.
I have from Tuesday through Sunday to disappear and do whatever I want; I definitely do not need to only stay in the Winter Park area, as long as I'm back in time to pick her up on Sunday following the retreat... my original plan was the take the 4Runner and hit some back country trails, but I would have preferred to not necessarily go solo... regardless, I will definitely have my tent and day hiking and 3-day backpacking gear with me, including one of my small cooking stoves and Mountain House meals...

You seem to have a gift for making me type a lot.
So might you offer any other Colorado tips should I venture away from the Winter Park area? We will explore Colorado Springs and Boulder area together on our way up before the retreat, and last Summer we visited Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango and Great Sand Dunes NP, so I don't necessarily need to head back down that way again this year...
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Pretty thin metal, you should be able to make it work. Weird yours isn't there. I wonder if it has something to do with the lift making the cable too short to use the bracket without some sort of extension?

I'll give Colorado some thought. First, go place order for cable and second, go to bed.
G'night.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 AM

Pretty thin metal, you should be able to make it work. Weird yours isn't there. I wonder if it has something to do with the lift making the cable too short to use the bracket without some sort of extension?
what's puzzling is that when I bought the 4Runner (which was already lifted), one of the photos from the seller showed that bracket intact and in place...

Steve Schaefer @ Sonoran Steel sells an extension for that bracket for lifted applications...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

The thin metal bracket probably just corroded and fell off...
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Part ordered, pic shows to be all included, will post up when it's in my hot not so little fingers in about a week.

hrt4me
Crested Butte- bike 401 and Dyke trails, Salida- bike Monarch Pass (get shuttle), Aspen- Maroon Bells (if backpacking in reserve ahead if you can, I think it's pretty popular, the hike is short but strenuous and there's something like 12 camp spots- you won't be isolated if it's busy though), and there are a mess of reasonable 4x trails in that area too with old mines and dispersed camping here and there. Make sure you have maps of them with descriptions so you only go as hard or easy as you want. There's Buena Vista and Pitkin and Taylor Park in that mix of 4x too. Mosquito pass is tougher and there's Westin pass, that's easier but you will get pinstripes there on the west side. Not horrible bad ones. Those would be between Winter Park and the above towns. Something to peruse, and not just this page either- http://staythetrail.org/maps/viewtra...ail_id=55&sv=0
In the other direction and If you haven't been, Rocky Mountain NP, the two trails I mentioned and Fall Creek Falls Rd., a gravel many switchbacked road that you pass an alluvial fan to get to.
Lots more than this out there, depends on what you want to do.

Ah, Avi, good ol' salty roads.

Last edited by habanero; 07-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread