Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Yep, similar deal. Pried a little with a screw driver, it's a little difficult at first to get the tool in there. Once it got started it came loose pretty easy, it was just the getting it started part that was annoying.

Last edited by habanero; 11-16-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok.... I have both front and rear, new, MOOG.... did you say you'd be here tomorrow or the next day to do them? hahaha.

BTW, still have that 'PINGGGGGGGGGGKKKKK'/SMACK in the drivetrain or rear axle somewhere when I take off from a stop, ........OCCASIONALLY... Did it today while this kid ran out and nearly UNDER my truck in a crosswalk, ...AGAINST A RED LIGHT HE WAS! ..... As I took off, "PINGGGGGGGGGKKKKKKK".... and the kid jumped wondering what it was, lol... Ok, the noise is not funny to me.. BUT, that was, after the fact. At that moment, due to almost running over a kid and the loud noise... I was twitching! lol... But I DID laugh about it minutes later, his jumping from my trucks infirmity :/ lol.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

I'd be right over Chef, but I've got to clean the house for Thanksgiving company. Yep, the yearly oh geez, I'd MUCH rather be getting greasy right now, time of the year. Love the in-laws, hate hate hate the house cleaning.
When you pull the drive shaft you'll have to see if it still makes yer horrid noise when you drive around. That'd at least give you a direction to look in.

Trying to get a coolant temp sensor off a part the hubby knew about and found for me on our latest Junkyard Date. Like RW's driveshaft, I'm pretty sure it's super glued on. That's right, another piece of a project on the 96. Pics and info later, if I can get this to work the way I want it to.

Last edited by habanero; 11-16-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Yep, similar deal. Pried a little with a screw driver, it's a little difficult at first to get the tool in there. Once it got started it came loose pretty easy, it was just the getting it started part that was annoying.
Yup! PB Plaster and a few well placed smacks with the hammer on the brass bar and, boom, its out.
I decided to put a couple of nuts back on so it could not drop on me while getting it loose. The rest will wait until the morning.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-16-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Nice! Sleep well tonight and feel better!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm, you're going to use the second temp sender to fire your gauge????

House cleaning, whatz that? Oh, yeah, I did do some before my guest came from Germany in October.

Thanks! I'm back to about 75% now. Edit: 90% on Saturday morning.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-17-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon... Neo-Citron DM extra strong with a shot of dark rum, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper stir well and drink... then under double covers... you'll sweat like a pig and have some vision quest worthy dreams but you'll be healthy in 3 days. during day time dose up with Tylenol Cold or cold and sinus daytime formula depending on symptoms.

Chef... sassy lassie works for me and it describes habsie to a T... be careful bra at out age when things go "pop" they don't always go back together so well...

Hab... getting greasy Gracie??? you are serving turkey are'nt you...
and fwiw you should'nt be doing all the work for the feast... your family are not cripples they can work for their supper... they'll appreciate the meal all the more after working up an appetite raking/playing in the leaves in the yard for example... or making up their own beds in the guest room... etc. if you're like me you won't tolerate any "help" in the kitchen so I won't suggest that... but stoker can set the table/craft the center piece and so on... maybe even help make the cranberry sauce...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Avi for the get well recipe.

Hab, the u-joints are done...needed four hands, but we got it. Yup, they are a pain to get in and out. Hope all is well down your way.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Whoo hoo RW! Not in a hurry to do another one, 'cept I kinda liked the puzzle aspect of getting the stupid thing apart. Glad to hear you got yours done.

We ended up going to a Hibachi Grill Avi, which I'd never been to before. It wasn't too bad and way better than spending all day cooking. Tonight I cooked up a small turkey with stuffing and homemade mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce. Just the bare essentials since it's only the 3 of us. I never seem to do anything on the right day.
Boy, right now I sure am wishing you had a good headache remedy. Being weather sensitive sucks. 'Bout to go curl up and call it a night.

Ooh! Got a call from Mightymouse, he found a load bar for me so I can FINALLY replace my bent bar! Muy excited! 3rd gen anything is few and far between around here, what a great find and what a great guy to remember me and snag it. Now I've got all manner of projects to find round tuits for.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Boy, right now I sure am wishing you had a good headache remedy. Being weather sensitive sucks. 'Bout to go curl up and call it a night.
X2 on the weather sensitive headache remedy! After a few days mine turns into a cluster headache episode. Menthol cough drops seems to help a bit and, strangely enough, cold packs on the neck. As my friend from Germany says, "we ain't 40 anymore" meaning more aches, pains and longer to heal.
Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by rworegon; 11-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Headache, day 2. Annoying. At least it isn't a migraine, gotta be thankful for that! It seems to happen less within a short time of dropping caffeine, after the week or two of solid withdrawal headache. Am currently a caffeinated person and paying the price.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

On the super plus side, met with Mightymouse today. Wish he'd had more chat time, but that is one busy mouse. If y'all would recall that I bent my load bar back in July and have been looking for a used one ever since to no avail. I moaned about it a few days ago and voila! Yesterday he calls, he's got a load bar!

I picked it up from him today, it's in great condition and he gave me a heck of a deal on it. Will be going to him for more stuff as needed, definitely. He's a good guy and he's got some good sources, and he ships if you aren't lucky enough to be nearby!

I'm still kinda awed he found it so freaking fast, considering how long I've been looking...
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Nice on the load bar! Can you add additional for better weight distribution? Or, just place the load differently in the future?

Caffeine can be a trigger and, for some, cheese or wine. Oh, the pity...I'm 2 for 3 skipping the wine. Hope it's magically gone on day 3 for you.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Bent load bar = my bad. Not thinking, I loaded 2 full 5 gallon gas cans on the one back corner. Dumb move. On road was no big deal, but going to the Maze district in Utah involves mile after mile after mile of washboard, then some fairly rough terrain.
Next time I'll load better. I can prolly add a third load bar as well though I haven't decided on it yet. At least the bar didn't fail completely, just bent and stayed that way ever since. I used both cans over the few days we were there so that eased up on the weight situation.

I can't really complain, the rack was holding a tarp, 3 camp showers, a portable shower stall (because now they just crash blindly around screaming, I liked it better when they applauded but oh well) trash-opossum-roo, a 5 gallon stinky bucket of wag bags, 2 5 gallon gas cans and a bag of toys.

I may just try better loading this next go-round and then if that doesn't work I'll either hit Mightymouse up for another couple load bars or build something else. I kinda like that the weight up there is limited, there's only so much a roof can take, I'm guessing. That and the change in the center of gravity.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

a portable shower stall (because now they just crash blindly around screaming, I liked it better when they applauded but oh well)
The judgment of the "they" may be called into question. Hmmmmm.......

I do remember you mentioning earlier how it bent. I see MM's vendor post...is he running a Toyota yard or just have good connections?

Last edited by rworegon; 11-20-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Really good connections as I understand him. Hopefully he'll chime in. I've wheeled with him and his lovely wife and know of several people who he's helped out.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Another reliable resource for parts is great!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
rworegon, you need parts hit me up and i'll do the best i can. Hab, as i said before and will happily say it again you rule and thanks for the kind words. I Hope to set up some good wheeling events this coming year for stockers, intermediate, and hardcore wheelers.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

I hope to make some of those events!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load Bar? what is this bent device of which you speak? is it that brace thingy you coil rear types have to keep everything in alignment in your tushies? ...

I may be wrong but I seem to recall someone made a disconnectable load bar to increase travel for crawling... no idea how good it was/is though...

glad to hear you got a new one... did'nt know they were that hard to get... I can keep my eye out when I go through the yards here if there's a market for the thing...

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread