Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Happy 2000! I am internet-brave-ish, pretty hard to get to know otherwise. There are chicks that are so much more capable than myself and that aren't even scared of grinders either, I was truly being tongue in cheek about girl capabilities! Gotta admire the guy standing up for womens though, that's what I feel he was doing, as were you.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hab, thanks, but this thread here proves your capabilities. You stand proudly on your own merit.

I'm in the non-clinical end of healthcare and have heard some terrible grinder and chainsaw stories.....they both are to be feared and respected always.

I hear you on the personality dealio. Much the same here as a near classic introvert. Oh, the genes we are born with.....

Last edited by rworegon; 11-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the thought hab... probably could have done the contacts myself but did'nt think I had the time also I have an oil leak on that side and the starter was filthy... scored a rebuilt for $85 this way I get one that works and is pristine inside...
had a devil of a time getting it out... stripped a bolt head [it came out with a nut extractor] then it got stuck above the diff... ended up removing the steering stab. and diff brace bolt and dropping the diff .5" and got the old one out... having a battle getting the new one in now... same size but it's hard to get it to slip in right lol... keeps getting stuck between the frame and block just short of nervana.... I'll get it tomorrow... I figure since it took 6 hrs fussing over 2 days to get it out it should take about the same to get her in again...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow Habanero..Have looked at your thread since the last time and you have been thru your runner from top to bottom and front to back. Really admire how you get in there and get things done and take it on long trips. I got to help swap out a blown 3.4 with another one and what I learned on it and what you have done on yours has really added some confidence in me working on my '01 Runner. You have some great write ups. I wish more women would get involved in these truck projects. Enjoy reading where and what you have been doing. Keep up the great work.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Rw- my jeans won't even associate with my own shirts! Ah, life as an introvert.

Terry- Thanks for the egging on! I'd love to mess with another 3.4, especially to see the 'exploded' view of every thing out of the engine bay and then getting it all back in again. Lucky you!

Avi- isn't replacing a starter awesome? Sounds like your pickup is much more difficult than the 3.4 4Runner. I am suddenly glad ours is on the right side and therefore nowhere near the steering anything! Here's hoping it goes in like butter! I don't know what that means exactly, but I mean it in a good way.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 AM

hey hab just spending a little time catching up on a few of my favorite threads, Im probably gonna be hitting you up for some info on rebuilding the front end on mine Im really dreading it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Rw- my jeans won't even associate with my own shirts! Ah, life as an introvert.
As only you could phrase it, Hab! :-)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

OK that laundry comment vis a vie shirts and jeans just went past me... I must have missed something....

the starter is on the right side on the 3.0 too Hab... above the diff. behind/below the power steering pump and in front of the clutch master... just beside the frame rail...
finally got the new one in today after a 4hr battle... my mech. called me back just after I got it in and told me... "yup I did the first one I ever did that way too, then I found out if you take off the right front wheel there is a access panel that gives you clear, easy "access" to the starter area"... now he tells me... D'OH!... ended up having to get my dad to help start the upper mounting bolt while I held the fool thing up... lucky he was around or I'd have had to wait til my neighbour got home... but the job is done and it works a real treat too... very satisfying to fix something yourself... yea me!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Genes, jeans. A little wordplay for your Monday confusion.
Great Job Avi! Well, if you'd known about that panel you wouldn't have gotten to be so intimate with your truck. Hey, at least you got your job done......

96 4Runner- 245,xxx miles
Rear u-joint, rear drive shaft.
This was a lot more difficult than I'd anticipated. Getting the driveshaft out is pretty simple, 4 nuts up front, 4 nuts and bolts in back. Drop free of the dif in back and slide driveshaft off front studs. Took awhile to get the stupid old u-joint out. Got started on the new one- and cracked the second cup. Augh! First one went in easy, not sure what I did wrong on the second. I want to try again but may not because I can only afford so many of these things, like none. May have to get the local machine shop to do it. Urgh! At least the old u-joint is out as well as the shaft, that battle I won. All they'd have to do is install a new joint without damaging the stupid thing. Urgh!
Why can't money and, apparently, u-joints grow on trees? I wanna try again and again until I get it right.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

I've never messed with u-joints on these rigs, so I'm no help. Sorry it gave you troubles though. Maybe the machine shop will share the secret.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Gave it some thought. Gonna try it again after picking the kid up from school this afternoon. Wish me non-stupidity!

Last edited by habanero; 11-13-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Good luck this afternoon. You'll get it this time.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-13-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

RW! Your good luck wish worked! Went together like butter. Rick over at Saitta Auto (where I go when I want a real parts shop and need presswork done) thought I might've got a needle in the bottom of the cup. It makes the most sense. I was conscious of the stupid needle bearings but that doesn't mean I didn't misplace one. A+ shop and an A+ guy.

When I took the driveshaft out the front is free and easy but the rear had very limited movement in one of the two directions.
The squeak started 2 1/2 weeks ago. Here's why:

I usually grease everything a couple-few times a year. Obviously this particular side wasn't getting any grease at all. All the other sides were fine.
And the beautiful new u-joint!

That's some scrap carpet bits on the kitchen floor. It's cold outside, and I know the lady of the house.

It's kinda embarrassing to type out my foibles as well as my successes but darn it, I'm learning as I go along. I am glad I went for it a second time, I'd have been disappointed with myself if I'd let someone else do this doable job for me. With 4 new cups I'd have had 4 more tries but I'm really glad I didn't need them!

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yay, Hab!! Nice work! How tough was it to pop the c-clips off? Do I understand right that you bought extra caps?

I grease 'em every oil change, but a block inside and, bingo, you get one looking like yours.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! C-clips on the u-joint were a cinch, came right off with a quick hit to an end using a flat blade screwdriver.
I got another u-joint, but figured if I messed up another cap I'd blend parts from the two new joints to get more tries.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Good info on the c-clips. I should have no rust so it should be easy, peazy.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Good job hab, way to keep after it. The first one I did years ago I broke the yoke on the shaft by trying to press the cap in crooked, had to invest in a new shaft. Lesson learned.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jason! A broken yoke would not rock, especially as hard as it is to find 3rd gen parts around here. At least you got a good lesson out of it and shared the wealth. Of information I mean, not by having to buy a new shaft.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

hmmm reminds me I hafta grease my driveline before the snow flys...

intimate with my truck? you don't know the half of it hab... I still have oil/grease ground into my hands that no amt. of mech. soap/dish soap/varsol/scubbing will get out gonna hafta wear off I guess... and my knuckles are skinned on one hand...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Uh oh, she's tasted blood Avi....

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread