Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you had a good turn out... now go submit some pics to the calendar contest... trail maintenance is a activity I forgot to list and a very necessary one to make the hobby enjoyable and safe.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HEY THERE, SASSY YOTA-SIS! hahaha.... Sorry I've not stopped in more often... LIFE! lol.... (I know, like it matters if "I" stop in, .... )... But I feel bad, cuz I love following your thread.

What a great turn out, ... WOW! Wish I could've helped!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Tell me about it Chef. Life. Gotta have one though, the alternative's a case of way too much time- in a case!

We belong to a couple of trail building and maintaining clubs for hiking biking and horseback riding. It'd be cool if Missouri had wheeling trails that weren't just pay to break stuff parks. If there are any I haven't found many of them yet. Sure wouldn't mind volunteering some time to maintaining those too. It's my kind of fun.

Still got that itch to wrench, just not finding any time to do so.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

And that itch gets scratched....

245,000 miles 96 4Runner
Clutch fluid dirty. Clutch fluid bled and replaced.

245,030 96 4Runner
Sitting in traffic today, some wisps of white smoke from under the hood. Hmmm. Pull forward a little to smell antifreeze. Well, at least the dual batteries didn't catch fire like the hubby says they're gonna. Temp gauge not showing overheat so take it to work and pop the hood. Find 6" long crack about an inch from the top of radiator tank. Aha! Didn't lose much antifreeze so drove it home after work. Parking it until I can throw a radiator in there, hopefully this weekend.
Should also put actual temp gauge in rather than the idiot gauge. That'd be nice to have.

And how was y'alls day?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Plastic end tanks. BOOOOOO!!!!!

Get a custom welded aluminum one from somewhere!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by habanero

Sitting in traffic today, some wisps of white smoke from under the hood. Hmmm. Pull forward a little to smell antifreeze. Well, at least the dual batteries didn't catch fire like the hubby says they're gonna. Temp gauge not showing overheat so take it to work and pop the hood. Find 6" long crack about an inch from the top of radiator tank. Aha! Didn't lose much antifreeze so drove it home after work. Parking it until I can throw a radiator in there, hopefully this weekend.
Should also put actual temp gauge in rather than the idiot gauge. That'd be nice to have.

And how was y'alls day?
Bummer, but at least radiators are an easy swap and don't need to cost hundreds. What brand do you think you'll go with? Also, are you gonna run Toyota pink coolant? Mine's been gnawing in the back of my mind waiting for me to replace it so this doesn't happen.

Originally Posted by Jomoka
Plastic end tanks. BOOOOOO!!!!!

Get a custom welded aluminum one from somewhere!
The only problem I have will all-aluminum tanks is they seem like they will burn whatever skin they contact. Plastic is much more forgiving when you're hunched over a hot motor.

Food Luck!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Then don't let skin touch the hot rad... there's a reason why shop coats have long sleeves... lol
sorry to hear about your problems habsie... hope it works out easy for you...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I think it'll be an easy enough job. Give me an excuse to bust a knuckle or something. At least with a manual I never had the pink milkshake worries, not that it'd be a worry now given where it cracked.

I WISH I could remember not to touch the stupid rad tank when it's hot, lol. I seem to have homing beacons in my hands. Agree, the hot plastic causes a quick pull-back but no burns.

I won't use Toyota pink, have been running Subie Long Life (it's emerald green, but not regular green coolant) for a few years now because the Toyota dealership in my neck of the woods said they only stock Pink now.

I'm trying to over-think what to put in there now. I see a lot of people have Koyo but it's single row. I dunno. What oem has I don't know either. Any suggestions are appreciated. May end up going local for speed of replacement, either way I need to come to a decision by tomorrow to get it done this weekend.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I did a lot of research before I put in my tranny cooler to prevent the pink milkshake. A lot of people just replaced the radiator to remedy the problem and by far the most popular was the koyo and everyone who had one seemed very pleased with it.

That being said I'd think if you could find a 2 or 3 row radiator that would seem better, but the one row koyo seems to keeps everyone's temps ok. Hope it works well for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks JBurt.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Happy to pass along any little info I have. I've really enjoyed all the good advice on your thread.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
And how was y'alls day?
It was great! Just returned from 4 sunny days on the northern Oregon coast, home for a day or two, then headed to the southern Oregon coast, Redwoods, etc. and wrapping up with a visit with 100.5 year old grandmother in Roseville, CA. Life is good, especially when on vacation.

Glad you found something to scratch the itch. Boo on the radiator.....mine in the Tacoma did the same thing at 180k miles. Nice easy fix though. See ya'.

Last edited by rworegon; 10-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 AM

Sorry to hear about the radiator problems but as said shouldn't be to hard of a fix. No advice on the coolant I let y'all come up with the best stuff and then try and copy you lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Just like I let others do for me Jason. It's very flattering and I hope all those I've plagiarized feel the same.

I'm so far happy with the Subie long life coolant and am sticking with that for now. When it's time for a flush I'll try to find some Toyota Red or more Subaru stuff.
Went local on the radiator in the interest of time, would like to get the old thing back up and running. The 99's nice to drive and all, but I am missing already the 'hooptiness' that gives the 96 its appeal.

RW, glad to see you're having a great time, sounds fabulous!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 245,040 miles

Went to pull the radiator but must've missed 'cause there's stuff apart all over the place and lower a-arms on the ground. Guess this turned into a 'replace the trashed lower control arm bushings' party.

Took off both skids
Unbolted steering rack
Unbolted front diff and removed diff drop.
Unbolted sway bar links.
Put it up on jack stands.
Removed front tires.
Unbolted and popped outer tie rods off.
Unbolted the 4 small lower ball joint bolts.
Unbolted lower shock bolt.
Unbolted lower a-arm bolts
Slid alignment thingies out.
Removed lower a-arm.
I think that's all the steps. Very glad I have one of those lifetime alignment deals.

Oh yeah, I ran out of time to take the radiator out.

Last edited by habanero; 10-12-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Where did you get a lifetime alignment deal?! That would be awesome. Good luck putting everything back together.

That's a good way to miss a radiator. When I miss doing what I'm supposed to do it's usually because I fall asleep before I get started.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Woohoooooooo, .... The Hab's at it again! lol. Nice work... Sista. ... DIY it! Saves the Fam lots, right?! Today, a VERY cute girl was walking in to PYPart with a really cool tool kit... I said, "Hey girl, ... whatcha looking for in there?".... She said, "Hey, .... Hmmm, probably a Cressida head..... Says they have an 88 in there... my 7MGE head is toast in my Corolla".......... She had a ring... or I'd have AT LEAST TRIED! HAHAHA. 7MGE COROLLA? yeahhhhhhh! lol.

And NO, I don't assume it's some miracle that a girl does her own work... I'm not like that... My girls were TAUGHT, by me, to 'do it yourself and save HUNDREDS you can spend on other stuff you want!'... They're applying that to this day! haha... It's just; Used to be WAY more common is all, ya know? hahahaha.

Can't wait to hear the report that it's all tight up there and feeling solid again on the road/trail

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-12-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Radiator in. Was a little worried about dealing with the dual batteries but turned out fine. Maybe not as easy as not having them but I can't complain because I didn't have to remove the batteries and box or even fiddle with it at all. My Subaru coolant isn't ancient and looks brand new. I put it back in.

Got the lower arms out (the right was a bear and a half). Got the bushings from Jay Wolfe Toyota and Jamie took care of me big time. Big thanks to his work on installing the bushings in the a-arms that I was able to get the truck most of the way back together tonight rather than Tuesday as anticipated.
All the bushings were shot but the right side was the worst, one of those easily wiggled by hand. Ah well.

JBurt....my lifetime alignment is with Plaza Tire. I told them up front I wheel and they said no problem. So far it hasn't been, either, they've been great. I don't abuse it but I do use it a couple times a year-ish.

Last edited by habanero; 10-13-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hab, way to go scratching that wrenchin' itch! :-) Glad it's all going back together ahead of schedule.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM

Did I say somethin 'oops', Hab? Just curious... I figured you'd tell me. Feel like half of the 'text' is misinterpreted when I throw it out there, hahaha.

Anyway, X2 what the PNW'er said, hahaha.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread