Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It finally cooled off around here and I can sleep at night again... glad to hear your veggies are doing well... looking forward to the pics...
Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Pics? Can they wait for the next timing belt job? I have to take that stuff off then anyways....
Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 243,300mi

Oil change. Just a plain simple oil change with an expletive filter. On the plus side, it wasn't gonna fall off. On the not so plus side, it wasn't gonna fall off.

This time I hand tightened. That's it. No extra 1/4 turn. You bet I'll be checking it early and often but dang, my hubby had to help me destroy that last one off and I'm the one who put it on. I'm not that strong. I don't have man hands. I'm just a girl. An old girl. With no man muscles.

Last edited by habanero; 08-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Got be careful with that expletive filter... last one I put on [framm could'nt get to dealer at time] I torqued too tight and slightly crossed... had too half destroy it to get it off... I love getting a HOT oil bath w/30 weight... put new factory one on and discovered it had gone on just slightly cross... had to take it off and start again to get a nice clean seating and went about a 1/4 turn more... seems leak-less we'll see how easy it comes off next time...
calendar entries close around the end of Sept. [see the thread] so you have time habsie...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Yota filter, good threads and not cross threaded, apparently REALLY well seated! That or someone stuck superglue in place of the oil I use for the seal.

Calendar? What is this calendar you speak of? No habla ingles. Or espanol. I'm learning ASL though.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, I had this happen with the Yota Filter last time... Finally figured out a way to use my OIL-FILTER-PLIERS.... without tearing all the harness wiring from their pins! hahaha.... (lost oil pressure reading for a period one time... )

Anyway, sorry it's giving/gave(hopefully it's over) you so much drama!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry the filter gave you a bad time, Hab. Maybe you just don't even know your own strength. lol

I have to do an oil change on the Corolla DD before vacation time in October. Not really looking forward to it since its a cartridge filter on the bottom of the engine and it will be the first time I've changed it. I'm envisioning a oily mess running down my arm......

Second batch of corn stalks are almost 5' tall. More yum on the way.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Rw: Dude! 5'? I planted my 2nd around the same time you planted your 3rd. Mine's 3" tall. Don't think I'm getting any more corn this year.

My Bronco II had a nice large oil filter underneath. Sooo easy to deal with. Not a cartridge though. Pretend it's a spa treatment or something.

Chef: No doubt. I have a teensy space for the ratchet handle, between the alternator and the wire loom/neg battery cables. Every time an oil change comes due it makes me consider a remote filter! Getting stuff in there isn't the big deal, having the space to use it is.
Usually my filter cap wrench fits no problem, but this time it wasn't tight enough and kept spinning. Same yota filters as usual, it was weird. Of course I didn't have another cap wrench of slightly smaller size and my spidery wrench was slightly too big too. Weirder, I'd used that particular cap wrench for the 1/4 tighten when I put the filter on without issue or slippage.
Hope you figured out the oil pressure thing before a blood pressure thing happened!

Last edited by habanero; 08-21-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Hab.....

I was speaking with a 40 years experience Toy Mechanic, Charlie Cool, the guy who helped me with my R'SHHHH AC job.... Anyway, he said, "Yeah, those filters come lubed from Toyota... But they actually threaded the thing very precision, and they should come right off, right? Well, the SEAL is an old Toyota composition that is slightly different from most, like FRAM, etc..... WIX use it, as do a couple others....And you'll notice those are usually harder to get off as well? That's because that seal, the VERY FIRST TIME it heats up, begins to expand between the block and filter. They are all supposed to.. which is why you only do them JUST SNUG, nothing more. But Toy filters seem to become superglued on there more than any other. My general rule is to use my thumb and pointer, NOTHING ELSE, to tighten them.... I have strong hands(stronger 20 years ago, obviously, but still strong, hehe).... so that leaves me with around 15# Torque Value. Just like turning a Ships Door dial.... Turns like butter, ........ but then try to turn it from the inner most portion of it's hub.... NO WAY you'll get the leverage. Filter is bigger in diameter.... so you can get more leverage/torque on it. "...............

I HAVE NO IDEA where he got that... BUT WHY WOULD HE MAKE IT UP, RIGHT? hahahaa.... Anyway, he told me 'try this' next time ....and I did, and it STILL came off a lil difficultly... But EASIER, no doubt!

My buddy has a snap on oil wrench with like 2 elbows(for multiple applications) and a TIGHTENING Oil Filter Socket End... like a band but very solidly built, ya know? NEVER crushed an end with it, he says, 'THEY ALWAYS submit!' HAHAHA. i JUST CAN'T spend 60$ on an Oil Filter Socket Kit right now, ya know? lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Rw: Dude! 5'? I planted my 2nd around the same time you planted your 3rd. Mine's 3" tall. Don't think I'm getting any more corn this year.
Just took the tape measure to them 5 1/2 feet tall. My third is up 8 inches or so. Water, a bit of fertilizer, and hot days...vrroom...growing like weeds. Don't give up on yours.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-21-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Had to use a framm last time and I nearly crushed the thing getting it off...

I'll post some pics of the route I found works best to get at the 3.0 filter...

a good trick is to put a little white lithium grease on the rubber seal before you install it... seems to seal better and come out easier...
note: I did'nt have lithuim grease either when I put the ^%#framm on... never again! factory filters only for me from now on...
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM

I'll interject here! I just had that same problem with my wife's Acura. The filter is in plain sight - take the RF tire off and get to it with your hand. I had to use a dang pipe wrench to get that stupid thing off last week. I bought the car from my folks earlier this year so it was the lube place that did it. They also stripped the drain bolt and "fixed" it with gasket maker, so I'm not terribly surprised. I wrote "don't overtighten!" with a paint pen on the bottom of the oil pan just in case I sell that car.

Aviator, good thinking on the lithium grease. It also keeps the corrosion off my battery terminals.

edit: I agree Hab - Oil changes where the oil drizzles down the wire looms and frame onto the skid plates make me seriously think about filter relocation kits.

Last edited by 4biker; 08-22-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Is Isaac going to give you guys some rain and cooler temps?

Last edited by rworegon; 08-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

It's supposed to. I actually had to mow the lawns today, first time since mid-June! Did have to do a little mower 'repair'. It started thumping weirdly. Took it apart and found a sweetgum ball had squished itself into one of the belt pulleys and was causing the belt to bang into the plastic cover. So easy I can't really call it a repair.
Our temps have been pretty good for August. Around the same time you guys started talking heat ours went away. I think I sent it to you all.

Oddly we've got nothing planned. Trail building season starts next weekend, looking forward to working hard, getting dirty and getting more miles to ride and hike on!

Truck's got no ping. Had the usual higher idle issue after cleaning the TB and IAC but that's settled in as well. Never did get a code on it, surprising for how much pinging it was doing, tons! I wish the gaskets involved with getting to the knock sensors weren't so expensive, I wanna pull it apart just to see what's what. Stupid lack of funds!!!
Oh yeah, and the hatch latch and light are working perfectly.
The toilet on the other hand, I'm hearing it right now. Haven't gotten into it yet, but I'm expecting a bad float valve thingy. Ah well, since I replaced the water shut-off-majigger when I put in the new ring it'll be a piece of cake, right?
Mmmmm, cake......

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Last edited by habanero; 08-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent on the no ping. Things are going good here. I'm taking vacation most of October and am counting down the days until 10/3.

Plumbing repairs are never a piece of cake for me....basically, I despise plumbing.

You guys build trails in a local park? Forest?

I still have not tackled the oil change on the Corolla...guess I should get it done before the miles get put on it in October.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

We build trails on county, state and US forest service land using mostly IMBA guidelines. Nothing rogue, everything is approved and done as part of a group headed by either the OTA- Ozark Trail Assc. or GORC- Gateway Off-Road Cyclists. Miles and miles of new trails, many many more miles of maintained and rerouted trails, mostly in the the east central and southeast part of the state. Lots and lots and lots of volunteers making it even more fun to mess around in the woods.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Spending time in the forest is a favorite of mine. Give me a map, compass (GPS is ok too), food, water and I'm good for the day. Many years ago, I volunteered to help re-build some washed out hiking trails up in the forest near here. I'll never forget packing gravel 3-4 miles up the trail in a backpack (no matter what it all settled in a very dense lump at the bottom) and never did go hike the trail after it reopened.
Fun times!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

It is fun times!

Cup holder fix fail on the 96. At least it was just holding my Toyota coffee thingy, no spill, nothing even fell out because it's wider at the top than the cup retainer.
Will be trying to figure out something better.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Cup holder fix fail on the 96.
Uh oh, now the ribbing starts from the hubby. :-) Maybe you'll run across what you need on a pick n pull excursion.

Tassels and silks on second batch of corn....Silver Queen.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Actually, before the fix that failed, she'd come up with a pretty good temporary fix - sticking a Solo cup in each holder spot. The cup can't slide through, and it will hold anything that doesn't have a similar conical shape, like a can or bottle.

Mostly, I'll just keep obliquely referring to the cupholders in my '99. Simple, unbreakable. not in the way of anything...

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread