Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome pics hab. Jamie and i are leaving soon for a two week trip through colorado. We'll have to swap stories and pics here shortly.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we want more pics, come on hab you know this place better than that lol. Looks like a great time that's the kind of trip I dream of taking one day. Sounds like the runner did great.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...t-maze-255874/

It's always the most fun ever! We got to St. Louis to find it's been hotter than the desert- with more humidity and a drought- ready to go back now.

Mr. Mouse, you'll have to do a trip report too!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Gadgets added for this year's trip.

You already know about the dual batteries.

The Pett System toilet.

The Jetboil Flash. Allowed during the fire ban. Hot meals and COFFEE in the morning! We bought Mountain House meals and supplemented with cous cous or ramens or other stuff.

And the trash opposum. Ok, it's just a waterproof backpack I found for $20 at a military surplus. Sure, it may not be as fancy as the Trasharoo, but it worked perfectly for us.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great trip report in a very cool area!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, thanks for all that work posting up that thread! hahaha... I was going over there expecting a couple more pics.... but NOOOOOOO, it was a GREAT adventure you shared, ...thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

This repair got the dubious doubt award from the hubby.....

The bottom part of the cup holder broke while we were playing. No 3rd gens in the yards so I'm gonna try fixing it first.
JB Weld
Peanut Butter (maple flavor, of course) for a snack. It didn't work out the way I wanted it to.
Toothpicks
Small phillips screwdriver
Box to mix JB Weld on
Magnifying glass 'cause I still need stronger readers
All of these pictures show the jb weld, I forgot to take pics of the original broken parts. There is a post on each side of the lower part of the cup holder, held to the upper part by plastic holes. This allows the lower to move up and down as needed. I wanted to retain this property, rather than to permanently affix the lower part to the upper in an extended position. That way I could shove the stupid thing back into the dash when I want.

Unscrew metal plate from cup holder and remove arms for better access. Watch out, two very tiny plastic posts are what holds the springs on the arms. You can see them sticking out of the metal plate here, towards the middle at the inboard edge.

I carefully used the peanut butter on the posts of the cup holder's bottom part, as well as on the side. Anywhere I didn't want the JB Weld to stick.
EDIT: This. PB. Was a stupid idea. So. There.

Then I build up some new holders around the posts with the JB Weld and a toothpick. After, I checked to make sure I didn't JB the bottom part to the top, I need that to still be mobile.

I stuck it back in the dash. It works as it should currently.
Will it work long term? Guess we'll find out. It was a free repair so I had nothing to lose. 'Cept maybe a couple of drinks and some time cleaning if it fails.

EDIT:
No, it will not work in the long term. Ended up getting a different one from the junkyard with broken holder springs. Further along this thread there is a fix illustrated and yep, that one is working perfectly in the long term. So far.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Nice work on the fix! One side of mine is all floppy, so I pulled it out and the plastic piece that holds the return spring is busted. Those drink holders are the definition of "el cheapo"
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

....and I thought the Peanut Butter was for a snack while you were working. Never thought of using it as an oily substance to repel the JB Weld.....that trick is now added to the gray matter. Nice fix!

Hmmmm, did he rescind the award after the fix worked? lol

Last edited by rworegon; 07-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
She meant she'd lose a drink (or two) if it fails in use in the future. *Pop*: drinks drop down on the shifter, hilarity ensues.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 AM

Nice project...
Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Originally Posted by Jomoka
She meant she'd lose a drink (or two) if it fails in use in the future. *Pop*: drinks drop down on the shifter, hilarity ensues.
Er, I guess that would be a 'no'.

So far, it's working just fine.
(It's waiting for me to have something *really* messy in there before it goes)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Murphy's Law may prevail......hope not. :-)

Last edited by rworegon; 07-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM

RW, STOP MENTIONING MURPHY.... That sum'o'gum hears his name and POUNCES ON ME! GRRR! hahaha.

Hey Hab ..... s'all... just sup... OH, and thanks again for posting those pics/other thread... VERY much enjoyed that
Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Cool Chef, thanks. Ol' Murphy, get in line behind me. Glad you enjoyed the vacation thread. It was cool reliving the fun.

Replaced sway bar and end link bushings with the Energy Suspension version. The sway bar bushings are 27mm and a tad too big though listed for the 4Runner on several sites. I have a sneaking suspicion they're for Tacos. Took one heck of a shoe horn, but they're in. Whew!

Bought the Thule bike rack plastic and rubber bits and got that taken care of.

Still need oil change and to deal with the bent load bar. Will have to wait for a junkyard yota if I decide to simply replace it, which is the way I am currently leaning. Next time I promise to be more careful about weight distribution when carrying gas up top.

Last edited by habanero; 07-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! My second corn planting is 2-3" tall after emerging Saturday. Nice hot weather now for it to grow in.

What fun stuff you doing to the rig now?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Hot is right. Was 100 today, s'posed to be hotter tomorrow. Glad to hear you've already got corn babies. I just threw some greenbeans at the ground today where the lettuce was, was thinking of putting pinto beans in the corn's old spot. Most of the corn is done, got a couple more rows to go. Soooooooo gooooood! Really surprising considering the drought and excessive heat. The tomatoes have suffered the worst but I saw new flower buds on them too. Weighed some of the mater's I picked today. A pound, 1 ounce and the other at a pound 4 ounces. Too big! Luckily I planted some other more reasonably sized varieties.

Still need to deal with the load bars. Still need to do an oil change. Replaced the rear link bushings after taking the rear sway bar out, removing the loose paint and repainting it. Forgot I'd modified the rear sway bar bushings as part of the Sonoran Steel lift and those bushings still looked good so I left 'em.
Today I cleaned the MAF again (did the air filter the day I got home from vacation) because of the very dusty sandy conditions I'd been in. It looked clean already.

I'm also currently hunting down a couple of issues.
1) Pinging. Under load, around 2,200 rpm. Premium gas relieves it a bit. Running lean I guess? With about everything sitting at +240,000 miles I guess there's more than a few places to look. Starting a few weeks ago and rarely, it runs rough for a minute on start up, a low 500ish rpm.

2) Curious about the charcoal canister/vsv. Nothing big, just a gas smell coming from it on the very steep downhills when wheeling. Didn't know if that was normal or if the vsv would have valving to prevent the tank from puking into it. Am sure it was an issue with one of those. On a particularly steep spot it also started buzzing. Not the moo, which it has done the whole time I've had it, a constant buzz. Opening the fuel cap stopped the buzz. Have found the testing procedure on the vsv, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

You've been busy, as usual.

Huge 'maters! Mine seem to be suffering from the blooms drying out from the hot wind too. There are a few about a large marble size. I've picked greenbeans several times and zuchinni too. Soon, slicing cucumbers and then corn. We are in the low 90s for the high, mid-60s at night.

Pinging, huh? When the last time the plugs and cables were changed out? No vacuum leaks any place, I presume. No CEL, but there may be a pending one.

I'm not real familiar with the charcoal canister deal as mine has never acted up...I'll do some poking around.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Hey'z there, Habernator! lol... Hmmmm, I'm having weird hissing from my Charcoal Can, on occasions... Very random.. And, well, I'm TOTALLY ping free... I can't seem to get it to ping to save my live(SUPER retarded or advanced, etc.,.. just keeps trucking, lol)... BUT, my tailpipe is extremely black in there.... and I have terrible mileage in town(sometimes.... WTH? hahaha)... Guessing mine is more of a RICH at Certain Situations.... situation? haha... Anyway...... I got 24MPG hwy heading up the Cahon Pass into Barstow, CA, from L.A. in my 87 22RE with 12K miles since I rebuilt it... Then 12mpg in town the next week......again, WTH? hahaha.. I CAN'T know the charcoal can is an issue... But I'ma test it this week when I dig into the CV sitch... OH, and I KNOW your rig's motor is FAR diff.. .as is the Charcoal Can set up(ME NO HAVE VSV for THE CC... Goes right to the Throttle body).... But I KNOW I've read that your model has had that issue lead to MISERABLY failing smog due to....... ready for it........ SUPER HIGH NOX! That leads to "LEAN" on the 'probably this' scale, ....thus 'possibly high combustion temps' stuff, causing it? GET THAT SUCKER SOCKED AWAY in the "P.O.E. for the Week list", K? (Seriously, I read at least 3 posts on different "HOW TO PASS SMOG" threads on Marlin/by Big Mike....and many others.... Saying, "It was my/my buddies Charcoal Canister".... Always 3.4's or 4.0's(Whatever toyota's V8 IS? )

Ok, that's just sounding ridiculous.... ^^^^..... but you know what I mean, right? heheh. Hope things are well, Hab! Hope you and the Hubby and Lil's are all well and not burning up too bad!!!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Charcoal canister and pinging related? I didn't even think about that. Another avenue to travel. Thanks Chef.

Wires, plugs, fuel filter all reasonably new. Air filter and MAF clean.
No CEL yet. Will have to look for vacuum leaks. Also wondering about fuel delivery, whether it be pump, injector or sensor related. It's not running obvious bad consistently yet, making it more difficult to find anything.

Mmmmm, cucumbers. Highs today and tomorrow of 103. Humid, yes, but no rain in ages.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread