Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The update was nearly a novel.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-14-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Love the garden update! With all that wind it's a good thing you don't have tall corn!
If the corn gets too tall, I'm prepared with some sturdy bamboo and garden jute to make a trellis sort of thing.

Yuppers, those UBJs are a pain without a ball joint press...just guessing this is the tool you are referring too. Did you get what you need via a loan a tool program at the autoparts store? Or, just fight it with a huge c-clamp? Or....?

Last edited by rworegon; 06-14-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
That would be the tool. All the parts store had was a pickle fork, which I've already got. Try a 3 jaw gear puller teamed with a blown-up bit of tranny, some steel and aluminum bits and some odd-ball weight things I had. It was ridiculous. It actually worked. I thought about freezing the ball joint and maybe heating the seat. Maybe I should've tried that? I figured since freezing lasts only a few seconds it wouldn't be enough time to get it in.
Now I've got that rumbling around in my head. I wonder if that would've help any? Should I pull one and try it?

For the tomatoes I used 4' wire fence and metal fence posts, then jute to hold them up. For the corn I'd prolly do the same thing. I've put wood stakes in the ground every so many feet between the corn, then ran twine on both sides of the corn to make a narrow 'corral' of sorts. I don't have the same sort of wind you've got to deal with.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, buy a pound of dry ice from the grocery store, place in a small ice chest...viola, instant portable freezer.

UPDATE 6/15/12 1pm PST: After Hab's comment below I retract this suggestion as it may have unintended consequences. Sorry I ever made this suggestion.

I broke down and bought a bj press and front end kit a couple of years ago. It comes in handy and surprising how much I've used it both on the truck and when I get messing with tractors and such.

Thanks for the corral idea.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-15-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4Runner 238,020 mi
Upper. Ball. Joints. Bite. When. You. Don't. Have. The. Proper. Tools.
I seriously blocked out doing my driver's ubj. Someone asked if I took it to a shop, and I was like - "nope... (awkward silence)"
I couldn't remember how I did it myself. Even with a ball joint press from Autozone it was a nightmare. Apparently I've been able to resolve the issue and bring it into the open since then.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4biker
I seriously blocked out doing my driver's ubj. Someone asked if I took it to a shop, and I was like - "nope... (awkward silence)"
I couldn't remember how I did it myself. Even with a ball joint press from Autozone it was a nightmare. Apparently I've been able to resolve the issue and bring it into the open since then.
Exactly!

Dry ice....hmmm, ok, ball joint in dry ice.....pull out with the heavy rubber gloves, wow! that when right in!....lip touches spindle and *pop*....the joint cracks into a zillion pieces.....
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Dry ice....hmmm, ok, ball joint in dry ice.....pull out with the heavy rubber gloves, wow! that when right in!....lip touches spindle and *pop*....the joint cracks into a zillion pieces.....
Really???? It actually happened to you??? Guess it could if the thing was cooled more than a few minutes. Hmmmmmm........
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Exactly!

It sounds like the dry ice was way outside the limits of what the metal was able to tolerate. It could have had something to do with the grease infiltrating or something. We know ball joints will work in sub-zero temps but dry ice is -109 degrees F, and it must have fatigued the metal. Was it a dealer part or chinese?

edit: and more importantly, did you take it back for warranty?

Last edited by 4biker; 06-15-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

I edited my above post to remove this suggestion after Hab's comment.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

GUYS! I was kidding!!! I certainly didn't mean to cause any consternation. I thought y'all knew the ball joints were finished. Well, egg on my face and all that.
For the record, Toyota ball joints. ONLY Toyota ball joints. There were nearly 240,000 miles on that last set.

Had it actually happened I would've put the blame squarely on my own shoulders, not the manufacturer's. Dry ice might work but I'm not gonna be the one that tries it and like rworegon, not gonna suggest anyone else does either! It is an intriguing idea, though.....
rw, don't you stop with the ideas and suggestions, you've got way too many good ones! I'm a big girl, anything I choose to do I is of my own free will. That leaves only myself to blame.
(a very intriguing idea....)

(now I feel all sheepish...)

(anybody got some dry ice? I've got some old ball joints.....)

Last edited by habanero; 06-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Hab, thanks and no egg on your face... No more crazy ideas from me, well, until the next one. Congrats on completing the UBJ. Were the old ones a bit sloppy?

Last edited by rworegon; 06-15-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM

GUYS! I was kidding!!!
Oh, man! It's too late, the image is already burned into my memory. Too bad. I mostly meant the warranty thing as a joke, as pouring out a box of fine metal particles for warranty would be a head-scratcher for the parts counter guy. I'm glad they're in - I guess I should have put two and two together since you did say they were done before I posted earlier anyway.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Crazy ideas are important! Really good actual ideas sometimes come out of those. Well, as long as the original version doesn't start with "Hey, watch this! Here, hold my beer..."

The old ball joints were floppy but no play between ball and joint. And there was nothing too crazy about your idea, I still think it had merit. Maybe not quite so extreme on the freezing but who knows? maybe that have done just the trick. That, or a zillion pieces. I'm still curious about that...

4biker: I kinda figured but wasn't sure. Being a biker you may have heard the term JRA?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM

4biker: I kinda figured but wasn't sure. Being a biker you may have heard the term JRA?
I was just riding along and... [insert highly unlikely scenario here and expect someone to fix it for free]?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Did that with an exploded crushed squished bike computer once. Endo'd bad on the Chubb steps and decimated it on a rock. Said I was JRA and it somehow broke, then poured the pieces onto the counter just for the reaction. They said you wouldn't believe how many people do that- and mean it. Guess that's why there's a term for it.
Yes, I bought a new one.

96 4Runner, nothing exciting...
Replaced one of the link bushings cause the old one was bad. Finally put the right front mudflap back on.
Next up: Get them batteries hooked up. I've got military style terminals and covers ordered. Now I've gotta get out there and mount up the isolator and switch while I wait for the bits.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 238,145 mi

Ok, it's not near as pretty as Kitty's dual battery set-up. You know, the one that is drool-worthy. Still, it is done.

Ruffstuff side by side group 34 battery tray
Blue Sea ACR 7622 w/remote switch
My ancient group 34 red top and a new 34/78 yellow top for the house battery.
Some wiring junk I had around and some military style terminals with covers.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, .............Hab, ................ yer ball joints finished? .........hehehe.

BTW, OUCH! Reminds me of these guys that do wheelchair skate ramp tricks I just watched the other day.... THEY GOT BIG BALL JOINTS for sure, hehe, with some of the tricks they attempt! One guy did the first full back flip~! ...............I was talking with a guy one time while riding and hit a station wagon bumper......OUCH! This guy parked on a trail at Will Rogers State Park....JERK! .... That guy(ME) wasn't paying attention....Dork! hahaha.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

BIG......hee hee hee....that's not right at all.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Which part? I'll edit if ya want... lol.

BTW, I was serious... this one kid that does Skate Ramp Tricks on his wheelchair is AMAZING! And, he helps other kids who are severely handicap to stay positive/try new things, etc. Quite amazing
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Sorry, I wont bring on any further tangents... just wanted to share in case people thought I was being cruel or something? haha.... I ADMIRE THIS KID! .......

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread