Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A whole 5 days and no updates on the '96??? I know, you are getting the big surprise ready to be bolted on. Going to be garden planting time soon....yay!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
A whole 5 days and no updates on the '96??? I know, you are getting the big surprise ready to be bolted on. Going to be garden planting time soon....yay!
Aye, tis. I've got 'maters and peppers in the basement and will be getting manure over the next couple of weeks and building a better fence structure to put off the deer. Our last frost is usually 2nd week of April but this year's so screwy there's no telling. 6th warmest winter in recorded history.

I am ready to be bolting but I don't know when this thing will get here.
Other than that it's still side turn signals, bumper brackets, upper ball joints, all that.

OH! I've got a new clunk to locate in the rear now! That's something different. Shock mounts feel solid, all bolts tight. Without having looked hard I'm figuring it's likely the rubber bits to do with the sway bars, possibly the control arms or whatever those things are called. I'll have to get under there and talk to stuff, see what's what. Truck still feels pretty ok back there, just intermittent clunks on uneven bumps. Sort of the same sound as the lower control arm bushings in the front had but more muted. I did see a very small rear diff seal leak, not a big deal and obviously not the cause of my clunk. Mostly I think I'm just looking for reasons to dig in and get dirty.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, I have deer problems too. I just plant some extra for them. No fence around my place and on the edge of town butting up to a wheat field is a bad combination. I wimp out and buy my starts. Normally, I tend to jump the frost a bit for root crops and just cover the greens so they don't freeze. Soil temps are still a little cold here for germination....two more weeks and it'll be about right

Stoker did not leave a ball in the back that is rolling around causing clunks and thunks? Worn shocks/shock bushings? Spare tire bouncing around? You'll have it solved in no time.

BTW, I finally got through the middle section of this thread....great stuff throughout!

Last edited by rworegon; 03-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stoker did not leave a ball in the back that is rolling around causing clunks and thunks?
oregon I have got to send the stoker a pm heh heh heh

hoo ha hahah I'm soooo evil....

woo hoo hahahaha

seriously though habsie... could be a little loosening happening in the rear dif.

if you've seen some leakage... might need a new seal on the nose... or the nut tightened a bit...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, I have deer problems too. I just plant some extra for them. No fence around my place and on the edge of town butting up to a wheat field is a bad combination. I wimp out and buy my starts. Normally, I tend to jump the frost a bit for root crops and just cover the greens so they don't freeze. Soil temps are still a little cold here for germination....two more weeks and it'll be about right

Stoker did not leave a ball in the back that is rolling around causing clunks and thunks? Worn shocks/shock bushings? Spare tire bouncing around? You'll have it solved in no time.

BTW, I finally got through the middle section of this thread....great stuff throughout!
Starts isn't wimping, it's getting a head, um, start! There aren't a lot of veggie gardens in the vicinity and no hunting in suburbia so my garden would be toast without the fence. The mice are bad enough but at least they don't rip the plants apart. I am trying to think of something to plant outside the fence for the deer that the neighbors won't freak out over. I can't imagine what I'd do with a wheat field attractant and no fence. Edge of town? Lots of venison dinners?
I checked my spare when I was under there yesterday and you're right, it did have a small amount of front to back movement. I'll tighten that up first after checking the air pressure. Funny you should mention kid, I just pulled two boxes of kid detritus out of there. Toys, coats, a solar powered steam roller, food, art projects, stuff.
Originally Posted by aviator
oregon I have got to send the stoker a pm heh heh heh

hoo ha hahah I'm soooo evil....

woo hoo hahahaha

seriously though habsie... could be a little loosening happening in the rear dif.

if you've seen some leakage... might need a new seal on the nose... or the nut tightened a bit...
It's leaking at the dif cover, on the bottom. Given the age a new seal prolly wouldn't hurt, though. If it gets bad enough and I've got to pull it apart I'd replace anything that makes sense.......or......
I'll find an axle with a locker or put an air locker into this one! The hubby did drive one of his Volvos today.....I've got a little time before and after work til he gets home......
I'm learning from you, my soooo evil friend.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe I should... see if my locker works when I get back home from work...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

You shouldn't try using a locker on dry pavement you know.....
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Starts isn't wimping, it's getting a head, um, start!
Hab, to clarify: I was trying to say I'm the wimp (lack of inititive mostly) for not growing my own starts like you do. Using starts is the way to go 'cause it gets the goodies to the table faster. Yum! Luckily, we have a couple of locals here with green houses that sell starts very inexpensively.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Hab ...... Been a while, just catching up lol. Wish I had time to read ALL of my Sub's that I'm behind on.... But alas, life isn't overflowing with spare time right now, hahaha.

Hope you're well, hon! Best wishes on all that's ahead(mods, FAM or otherwise lol)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Hab, to clarify: I was trying to say I'm the wimp (lack of inititive mostly) for not growing my own starts like you do. Using starts is the way to go 'cause it gets the goodies to the table faster. Yum! Luckily, we have a couple of locals here with green houses that sell starts very inexpensively.
Honestly, if I had the money I'd do starts for sure. A hundred and thirty tomatoes and fifty peppers last year and no cheap greenhouse = grow lights on 15 hours a day (to start) in the basement and the neighbors scratchin' their heads.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Great to hear from you, Chef!
Know what you mean 'bout the time and hear you on keeping up with the threads. Best wishes to you and yours as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Honestly, if I had the money I'd do starts for sure. A hundred and thirty tomatoes and fifty peppers last year and no cheap greenhouse = grow lights on 15 hours a day (to start) in the basement and the neighbors scratchin' their heads.
Wow, that is a bunch of plants. Hope for a great growing season!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Hab
It your long lost "copy cat" again. I installed the Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit and am having some rubbing issues. basically i think I have 2 options trim the wheel wells or install a body lift. My question to you is, are you happy with your body lift? would you go larger next time? any down side? (99 4runner SS1.2a 285/70/16 GT radial MT tires)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rondo
Hello Hab
It your long lost "copy cat" again. I installed the Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit and am having some rubbing issues. basically i think I have 2 options trim the wheel wells or install a body lift. My question to you is, are you happy with your body lift? would you go larger next time? any down side? (99 4runner SS1.2a 285/70/16 GT radial MT tires)
Howdy long lost copy cat! I get all the best ideas from someone else so you're really a copy cat copy cat!
I wanted to keep the body lift as low as possible. The only reason I would go higher is to reclock the transfer case- 1 1/2" lift required (if I remember right, that's the minimum height for it) so no, no higher. It still rubs sometimes but not enough to warrant raising the center of gravity. Low is the way to go, in my opinion.
I am happy with the body lift. The only thing I need to fix is the resulting gap in the front bumper. Shouldn't be too difficult, hope to work on it in the next few weeks.
I flattened the pinch welds and trimmed the plastic bumper valance and have considered doing some fender trimming but again, haven't felt the need to go there. I'm definitely not at a tire size that needs wheel well work.
I did get 1" wheel adapters to fix frame and a-arm rub as well.

Lemme know if that doesn't cover it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Not too much. Hubby was testing the horns I nabbed from our junkyard date for the 96 so I finally got around to replacing the 'a' and 'c' horn with a 'd' and 'I forget' horn. He also came across one of the oe horns off the 99.....
hmmmmmm, says I....NO, says he. I had a spare connector since I'd only used one of the yota horn connectors for my GM horn setup.....hmmmmmm, says I.....NO NO NO says he.....
So anyway now there's a yota horn with it's little meep joining the crew. I know, I know, 5 horns is a little nutty. Did you expect any less from me?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Not build or maintain related but I have pics of the 96 (and the kid) earning it's keep today. Near 3 cu yds of well-cured manure for the garden. Wonder what the neighbors think of me wheeling (heh) in my yard. The 96 juuuussssttttt fits through the 2 gates I have to drive through to get to the back back yard where the veggies are. It's a little soft back there but not too bad. Truck made it no prob even with a full trailer.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Five horns is like having the whole band! I pity the person you blast with those.
Snow here today at nearly sea level in the PNW. A great garden area you have there.....

Last edited by rworegon; 03-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Weird thing is I'll hit the horns maybe a couple times a year but when I am using them it's because someone's trying to kiss me before I even get flowers so I REALLY want to get their attention!
Mostly I stuck the thing on because the hubby said I was crazy to do it.

Snow??? Try 77 degrees, cloudy and windy. 'Twas a nice day today for prepping the garden for planting in April. Still needs tilling and I've gotta get the fence back up. Right now all's there is weeds and poo.

Last edited by habanero; 03-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

I'll take your weather! 77 sounds pretty good right now as we sit at 38 and raining. Snow forecasted again for overnight. Bleah....
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Brrrrrr! I've got the sliding glass door open right now, enjoying the night air! It's supposed to be raining but I guess it forgot to.

Last edited by habanero; 03-21-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread